• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another re-sub up again on CLINK

80 posts in this topic

agro23, perhaps this will help you see what everyone else is seeing:

It is the same book. I have held the book in my hands, studied it, and carefully examined enlarged scans. Just like a fingerprint, there are many identifying traits. It is the same book.

It is unecessary for me to go further into a he said/she said detailed history between me and the seller. The purpose here is to educate collectors to what I (and apparently others) believe is a serious topic of concern.

Please try not to degenerate this thread any further, and let's move forward if you can (thank you).

STEVE

Yes, this is dis-heartening, I would hope CGC would look or this kind of thing, especially on GA books whose census count is 30 or less. How is this not a "cover cleaned" PLOD?

Yes, this is dis-heartening, I would hope CGC would look or this kind of thing, especially on GA books whose census count is 30 or less. How is this not a "cover cleaned" PLOD?

It is most likely from a dry cleaning process that CGC cannot detect consistently and do not consider to be restoration even if they did detect it.

Please try not to degenerate this thread any further, and let's move forward if you can (thank you).
Okay, let's move forward. Let us suppose it is the same book since the similarities are so striking. What now? It's still not a restored book by CGC standards.

I'd be more worried about the change in page quality implying a missed interior cleaning. But that's just me and I'm not buying this comic.

Is there no escape from scumbags? I remember when I had to liquidate my original collection in philadelphia circa 1991- I remember the dealer commenting on various books and it finally came to me saying "look at this book- isn't it gourgeous?" He stated they were nothing more than dollar bills to him in no uncertain term (actually, literally come to think of it).

Okay, let's move forward. Let us suppose it is the same book since the similarities are so striking. What now? It's still not a restored book by CGC standards.

Why not?

MF52.jpg[/img]

I'd be more worried about the change in page quality implying a missed interior cleaning. But that's just me and I'm not buying this comic.

I actually don't think it is from any thing being done to the interior pages, just the pages being in that area around the border between white and off-white/white.

Why not?

MF52.jpg[/img]

gossip.gif Different kind of cleaning. If CGC notes it on the label, they're referring to a book that was disassembled, cleaned with one of various solutions, then reassembled. The Adventure was dry-cleaned, and not disassembled.

Is there no escape from scumbags? I remember when I had to liquidate my original collection in philadelphia circa 1991- I remember the dealer commenting on various books and it finally came to me saying "look at this book- isn't it gourgeous?" He stated they were nothing more than dollar bills to him in no uncertain term (actually, literally come to think of it).

J, I remember seeing an interview with Jerry Rice some years ago. Here was the greatest receiver ever to play the game, a man who worked harder than anyone in football, someone I respected very much. I always assumed he was a "throw back", someone who played the game because they loved it. The interviewer was also pursuing a line of questions along that angle and was attempting to solicit an answer that would evoke his love of the game and all that it entails, much like in Field of Dreams when Shoeless Joe and Costner were talking about smelling the glove and the thrill of the grass.

The interviewer handed Jerry a football and asked him what it meant to him, what did it represent to him? Jerry pondered for a moment, then looked up and replied...."Dollar signs!"

It IS all about the money for most people I'm afraid. But it is what it is. Expecting people to act in altruistic ways is not managaing our expectations.

If the grading authority says that pressing and dry cleaning are not restoration and needn't be disclosed, expecting the practitioners of these services and their clients to disclose is not managing our expectations, and does not relegate them to scumbag level.

They are playing by the rules. We may not like the rules, but they are playing by them.

agro23, perhaps this will help you see what everyone else is seeing:

It is the same book. I have held the book in my hands, studied it, and carefully examined enlarged scans. Just like a fingerprint, there are many identifying traits. It is the same book.

It is unecessary for me to go further into a he said/she said detailed history between me and the seller. The purpose here is to educate collectors to what I (and apparently others) believe is a serious topic of concern.

STEVE

It's like beating your head against a wall, isn't it? The motive is greed pure and simple, but what bothers me the most is how some people are willing to stand by and excuse these practices. Having said all this and variations of this, over and over again, I will now go back to trying to figure out why my printer and scanner are not supported by Window's Vista! Help!

I think the impressive part is that they were able to remove the dust shadow across the top with a dry-cleaning. Seems like that would be a tough thing to do without a bath.

(and possibly beyond even the magic of wonderbread).

J, I remember seeing an interview with Jerry Rice some years ago. Here was the greatest receiver ever to play the game, a man who worked harder than anyone in football, someone I respected very much. I always assumed he was a "throw back", someone who played the game because they loved it. The interviewer was also pursuing a line of questions along that angle and was attempting to solicit an answer that would evoke his love of the game and all that it entails, much like in Field of Dreams when Shoeless Joe and Costner were talking about smelling the glove and the thrill of the grass.

The interviewer handed Jerry a football and asked him what it meant to him, what did it represent to him? Jerry pondered for a moment, then looked up and replied...."Dollar signs!"

It IS all about the money for most people I'm afraid. But it is what it is. Expecting people to act in altruistic ways is not managaing our expectations.

If the grading authority says that pressing and dry cleaning are not restoration and needn't be disclosed, expecting the practitioners of these services and their clients to disclose is not managing our expectations, and does not relegate them to scumbag level.

They are playing by the rules. We may not like the rules, but they are playing by them.

Interesting post. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

Many of the comic book artists were about the money as well. That does not, to my mind, diminish them at all. Like Jerry, every single day of their career they came ready to play and perform at the highest levels without the whining and excuses that seem so prevalent today. It's an old-fashioned attitude that very much reasonates with me.

Why don't we just call it universal with a slight amount of glue on spine?

poke2.gif

Why would we want to do that?

Because calling it an "apparent VF" in a purple label is actually misleading.

In my observation, "slight" restoration often amounts virtually to no restoration. Meaning the grade has not been improved upon.

I think there is no need for different labels, at all, as you know.

But I think that even people who favor colored labels in general can understand that when a dot of glue doesn't change the grade, it's not an "apparent" VF. It's a genuine VF that has a dot of glue on it.