• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about a cover with very weak magenta

15 posts in this topic

I was going through some long boxes look for better books to slab. I noticed one of my Uncanny 118 covers had a very weak magenta.

Has anyone else seen this, either in this issue or any books?

29gn9d2.jpg

2dj8ifk.jpg

Even from this digital pic, can you pick out the light magenta cover?

2n69e7k.jpg

It could be sun fading.

It could also be a copy from later in the print run when maybe inks were running low on the press. confused-smiley-013.gif

Not that I'm a printing guru so I might be talkin' out of my azz on this one.

I agree, while a comics cover inks can vary depending on many printing variables. This book does look evenly faded across the board.

Unlike that infamous FF cover?(what issue was that?)

Ze-

It could be sun fading.

It could also be a copy from later in the print run when maybe inks were running low on the press. confused-smiley-013.gif

I asked overstreet about this and was told that color diffrences like this are from the books being near the ending of the printing process when the drums/rollers would have less ink on them.

It could be sun fading.

I asked overstreet about this and was told that color diffrences like this are from the books being near the ending of the printing process when the drums/rollers would have less ink on them.

You mean I might be right? 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

grin.gif

It could be sun fading.

I am buying the "drums/rollers having less ink on them" theory. If you look at Cyclops, he's the same black/blue in each issue.

Also, do you guys mean SunFire fading ?

It could be sun fading.

I am buying the "drums/rollers having less ink on them" theory. If you look at Cyclops, he's the same black/blue in each issue.

Blue/Black are the last colors to fade when exposed to sunlight.

Sunlight will turn Reds & Yellows into weak versions of themselves...

That's what's going on here... there's a very good chance this book sat

on a shelf (or hung on a wall) that was exposed to sunlight for several months (at least).

There's a discoloration in the "N" (of X-MEN) that looks like it might have once had a sticker on the bag.

(slightly darker, like the sun couldn't get to that spot as well.)

It could be sun fading.

It's sun and/or phloresent-blub faded. Red is the first color to fade. That's the reason you see alot of Hulk #181 covers look orange instead of red...

Jim

There's a discoloration in the "N" (of X-MEN) that looks like it might have once had a sticker on the bag.

(slightly darker, like the sun couldn't get to that spot as well.)

Good eye on the discoloration on the "N". But it looks like a stain as it's on the inside FC also. I had to adjust the colors in the scan to make it easier to see.

2cmk6xg.jpg

It could be sun fading.

It's sun and/or phloresent-blub faded. Red is the first color to fade. That's the reason you see alot of Hulk #181 covers look orange instead of red...

Jim

Thanks for that bit of truth.

Yeah, it's definitely sun fading. You can see it in both the Yellow and Magenta. No press operator worth his salt would let his ink coverage get that low. I think most presses are set up to run Magenta and Yellow last which may also have something to do with why it seems like they fade first. Ink usually gets laid down from darkest to lightest on a 4-color press - so it would be Black, Cyan, Magenta, and then Yellow.

It could be sun fading.

Jim

I should add the book I'm talking about is Surfer #2 which should have a deep blue or purple background the one I had was lighter purple.