• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Forgotten copy of Action comics # 1 is up for sale.

16 posts in this topic

Mastro to Offer “Forgotten” Action #1

Auctions/Prices, Scoop, Friday, March 16, 2007

Mastro Auction will be offering a legendary “forgotten” copy of Action Comics #1, which was purchased at the New York Comic Art Convention in 1971 and disappeared shortly thereafter, in their upcoming April auction.

For all intents and purposes, this is essentially a “new” find to the hobby because of it's three and a half decade absence from public attention and will be reintroduced into the market and the collecting public at Mastro's Premiere Spring Auction ending April 25, 2007.

According to a press release from Mastro, the current CGC Census reports that the firm has graded only 33 copies of Action Comics #1, with only 21 of those being awarded their unrestored Universal Grade designation. The best condition copy is a single VF+ (CGC 8.5) with only five others grading above the level of VG (CGC 4.0). The copy being offered in the Mastro Auctions' sale has been graded at the GD- (CC1.8) level.

For more information on the upcoming auction, please visit www.mastronet.com.

hello all...

I heard about this copy from a friend who talked with them at NY con a few weeks ago...

mastro will also have a tec 27 and a high grade restored superman 1 in the auction...they are trying their best to get "back" into the comic auction game...

I will be ready for the 1.8, better not go for more than $60K, considering the 2.0 on clink looks nice and has sat at $67500 for a month!

rick

I will be ready for the 1.8, better not go for more than $60K, considering the 2.0 on clink looks nice and has sat at $67500 for a month!

rick

...didn't that moldy 2.5 with the chunk-of cover missing only go for around $32K a few years back?,...will a 1.8 really go 60K?!?,... blush.gif

rick

...didn't that moldy 2.5 with the chunk-of cover missing only go for around $32K a few years back?,...will a 1.8 really go 60K?!?,... blush.gif

hello all...

I think we all agree that moldy 2.5 should have been a 1.5...and, prices have pretty much doubled since then...a true 2.5 would likely sell close to $80-90k...

like KK, I will only actively persue the 1.8 if it has decent eye appeal (it is a 1.8, after all)

rick

rick

That actually resold almost immediately for 36K and I'm not sure what happened after that.

rick

That actually resold almost immediately for 36K and I'm not sure what happened after that.

I think Filter81 owned it...maybe he can shed some light?...I heard it was restored, but what do I know

rick

Saw the Book in Chicago (Mastro had a booth at a card show, with the Book displayed)...got within a foot of it....Tape completely down the spine...looked brittle, but was not labeled as such...STILL, would love to own it, But doubt I will be able to afford it...the Det. 27 was really nice but heavily restored.