• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Forget about value, forget about rarity, forget about importance...

29 posts in this topic

...what is your absolute all-time favorite Golden Age cover? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

P.S. This will be my last thread of the day. sign-rantpost.gif

i love daring mystery 1.

have a terrible weakness for miss america 1.

but, really, is there a better cover than mm 9?

thats why it is great! To me, its all about mistrust in marriage and sexual insecurity (Like most pre code horror, especially EC). The beautiful woman transforms into a horrible gorgon (According to the interior, but at this point, just looking at the cover image, thats far from evident) When her "True nature" is revealed, she is a horrible beast, slicing her fingernails (another symbol of femininity) into his eyes. She has completely dominated him. The snakes with sadistic leering eyes representing sex, swirl around him as he succumbs to his awful fears. More then that, is the completely deranged way everything is drawn, the "gorgon" is absolutely horrific, the transforming woman just looks so creepy and off, it has so much fear and emotion in it. The same with the snakes. They are not normal snakes, but horrific twisted nightmare versions of snakes. What a horrific masterpiece!

This is the same artist responsible for Thing #5, & Lawbreakers Suspense stories #11 & 12, all twiste das hell masterpieces!

thats why it is great! To me, its all about mistrust in marriage and sexual insecurity (Like most pre code horror, especially EC). The beautiful woman transforms into a horrible gorgon (According to the interior, but at this point, just looking at the cover image, thats far from evident) When her "True nature" is revelaed, she is a horrible beast, slicing her fingernails (another symbol of femininity) into his eyes. She has completely dominated him. The snakes with sadistic leering eyes representing sex, swirl around him as he succumbs to his awful fears. More then that, is the completely deranged way everything is drawn, the "gorgon" is absolutely horrific, the transfforming woma just looks so creepy and off, it has so much fear and emotion in it. The same with the snakes. They are not normal snakes, but horrific twisted nightmare versions of snakes. What a horrific masterpiece!

You know what the worst part is? The Gorgon is wearing slutty eye shadow. 893censored-thumb.gif

For me, its this one. There is more overt as well as suggestive depravity in this cover, I have really never seen anything like it in any printed publication.

1689867-GA-NSH-Thing7.jpg

Did you get that one from me Matt? There were several of them in the collection you got other books from.

Hard to pick just one, but I think All Winners #8 is my favorite GA cover...

296994282_bef2345ee1_b.jpg

Gotta love the "Schomburg-War-Nazi-Globe-Flag-AtomBomb-B52-FlyingCar-TripleTeam with MachineGun-Timely cover"! cloud9.gif Try printing all that on a CGC label grin.gif

GE