• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mini WWLA report.

3 posts in this topic

I had a great time at the show today.

Since I had pre paid for my ticket I was able to skip some of the lines and was in the main roon my 10:10 I almos got a special WW edition of Captain America 25 and a coupon for another both of which I was able to get signed by Ed Brubaker ( dealers were offering $10-15 for these books unsigned)

Quickly scouted the room to how it was laid out. Walk down the stars signing alley when it was almost empty. I saw Jeri Manthe, Brande Rodrick, Lou Ferigno, Christy Hemme, Sybil Danning, Kristen Bell and Marc Singer. On a later pass I also saw Virgil the wrestler and David Faustino

I was only looking for Four Colors for trade, the first couple of dealers I stopped at did not have any, then I found one (Brian of A-1) that had a small group. I was able to work out a trade for 5 books in about 30 minutes which just left me enough time to get to the Panel discusion by the creators and writers of Heroes led by Jeph Loeb.

After that I want to a panel on the future of the DCU led by Dan Didido (sp?)

Then back downstairs to the main room where I found another willing dealer. I was able to work out a trade for 20 lower to mid grade books. Since I had forgotten my list it made the process MUCH harded. This was with a small dealer from Covina

after that a quick lunch and then back upstaird to the KISS panel with GENE and PAUL as well as the writers of the upcoming KISS 4K series which is launching with the WORLDS LARGETS COMIC. It was about 2 ft wide by 3 feet tall.

After that I went back and looked around a bit more and found Bedrock who I was alos able to work out a trade with. Only 4 books but they were all in very nice shape.

All in all I traded about $900 in books and found several dealers who had different wants and I can continue to work with via mail.

Instead of creating another thread, I will just respond to this one with my experience. I hit the con this weekend with my father, and also found it to be an extremely pleasurable experience. If the Brave and the Bold 34 (my all time favorite comic cover) at the A-1 booth was in Fine/Fine- condition I would have picked it up (their copy was a VG one with a $390 tag, but they were willing to sell for $360, but honestly, I think I could get a fine copy for 360-$400, so I am willing to wait, I have no comics to trade, so it will have to eventually be a cash transaction).

My father collects Pulps, and he lucked out, A-1 had several boxes of Pulps, and he was able to pick up a run of Pulps with E.E. Doc Smith stories (expensive, but they were high grade, which is amazing given that they were from the mid-late 30s). He also picked up some Uncle Scrooge comics (he is finally starting to collect Scrooge comics, his favorite Disney character).

I an an eBayer, so I went for the Captain America 25s, VIP books, Busts, and other junk I can flip on eBay (which is really my main source of income at the moment), but I actually ended up buying a couple of books for my personal collection (a tiny one, but with books that will never hit eBay): Jonah Hex 1 (30 cents cover price), and 2 for about $70 (total price for both books, in case that was not clear, issue 1 is in VF-), because they were 25% off. I now own over 66 J Hex's, most in at least VF condition.

Wow, the Heroes USM 100 Original Art covers went for a small fortune, a far cry from $220-240 that some covers went for at Megacon. I bid on the Pat Olife (sp?) cover, and Springer one, and the Olife one sold for $1,300 (my limit was $425)!!!, and the Springer for $650! (limit of $200, while the rest of the covers all went for crazy amounts, with, I believe, 2 reaching $2,000, and the Tim Sale cover, which was not even a particularly detailed one at that, going for $2,500!!!).

The drummer from System of a Down was at the auction, so I watched him bid and win several of the books (one for $2,000, I believe another couple for a thousand each, and maybe another book or 2 for prices that were close to a $1,000). Like I said, crazy prices give the overall quality of the 10 covers auctioned off. Great for the Heroes charity, but jinkies, too rich for my pocket book (and to think that I thought I had a shot with a $425 bid, ha!).

Regards,

Chris H.