• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dick's Dynamic Boston Con Report

35 posts in this topic

Okay. This will be a far cry from a Greggy or Deathok-style report, and DeeDee wasn’t around (I'm sure that alone will cause half the board to move to another thread), so bear with me. I don’t have a scanner at home either, so I can’t post my buys.

Even with St. Patrick’s Day and the recent storm and mounds of snow, parking on the street couldn’t have been easier. I didn’t even need to take advantage of the great $6.00 validated parking deal.

The room itself was nice – well lit, spacious but cozy, with plenty of room for all the foot traffic. It’s my new favorite locale among all the local shows. Everybody seemed to be in a good mood whether buying or selling. Here’s one happy fellow with a fine, comprehensive bundle of books, our own CKB:

CKB.jpg

Silver and Bronze was a stone’s throw away, peddling his fine glasswares. I picked up a Cap and Spidey Toon Tumbler.

SB.jpg

Speaking of Cap, the reports of his death are greatly exaggerated, unless it was his doppelganger wandering around. Many fans expressed great sympathy at his untimely demise. Jimmy Olsen Jr. failed to get a photo, though, distracted by the upper butt cheek tattoos. For those of us who fancy fine young ladies, the show boasted a plethora of eye candy for old fartz among us.

And kids! Lots and lots of kids, more than I’ve seen at a show. Unless marketing and distribution changes, I don’t see another huge generation of comic fans rising up, but it did my heart good to see so many younguns about.

GACollectibles –what can I say? Nice guy, nice books plus he puts up with my nonsense:

GA1.jpg

I met DNAgent in person, another swell guy who had a great selection of bargain bin books, DC horror,and high grade Iron Mans and Caps.

DNAgent.jpg

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain, its just camera-shy Nik:

Nik.jpg

I gave him too much warning when I snapped one of Mr. and Mrs. Redhook:

RedHooks.jpg

Unfortunately, I had to head for home before the dinner, so somebody else will have to be responsible to the bleary-eyed Brad bar photo.

Here’s Mr. Bedrock, without whom the show would not have happened. Another great guy and supporter of the hobby:

Jimmy.jpg

Lest I forget, he didn’t set up but he did come to buy, buy, buy - Mr. Ted Van Liew, struggling to work the parking validation machine:

Superworld.jpg

He eventually succeeded, with assistance.

Hopefully some of the other folks at the show will have something to add, especially the crew who are currently at dinner. Overall, it was a fun time and the room had more energy than any other I’d been to in some time, it felt like a great success to me. I only have good things to say about it, and look forward to seeing it grow.

acclaim.gifyay.gif

Just got back from dinner, seemed like everyone in the restaurant knew nik poke2.gif(ok, just the lady at the next table). Too bad you couldn't stay , there was a Mrs Nik sighting and a nice pleasant meal with a bunch of boarders- nice to meet Red Hook and Lady Red Hook! Hope they have a safe trip home!

yeahok.gif I don't remember signing that photo release form.

acclaim.gif

Not much of a talker unless I'm drinking tongue.gif but,

that was definately a great first time show in Boston. It was great catching up to forumites, Brad, Jane, Andrew, Rich, Ryan, Paul, Chris for dinner afterwards.

It was nice to finally see dealers have smiles on and buyers walking around with smiling faces. The best part for me was also seeing little kids smile and being enthused in walking around and buying funny books.

I had a very good time picking up a bunch of pretty nice funny books today smile.gif

I wont bore you with showing them all but would like to share a few new purchases from this afternoon, if its OK with Rich.

A couple of Caps, from our own Ryan (DNAgent)

cap122005.jpg

cap157002.jpg

cap122005.jpg

Silver and Bronze was a stone’s throw away, peddling his fine glasswares. I picked up a Cap and Spidey Toon Tumbler.

SB.jpg

I was finally able to get my hands on the Little Lulu Toon Tumbler I've wanted for so long, so I left happy! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Had a nice brunch with my daughter at Fire+Ice and a fun trip to the Museum of Science, so we had a great day.

yeahok.gif I don't remember signing that photo release form.

So you'd prefer the other photo? devil.gif

blush.gif

And, note to self: Don't bring up "the move" with Mrs. Nik. Sorry nik! flowerred.gif

I was finally able to get my hands on the Little Lulu Toon Tumbler I've wanted for so long, so I left happy! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Had a nice brunch with my daughter at Fire+Ice and a fun trip to the Museum of Science, so we had a great day.

Where was Little Lulu? I've been waiting for one of those. I didn't see any and didn't think they'd been made yet. Guess I should've asked.

Just got back from dinner, seemed like everyone in the restaurant knew nik poke2.gif(ok, just the lady at the next table). Too bad you couldn't stay , there was a Mrs Nik sighting and a nice pleasant meal with a bunch of boarders- nice to meet Red Hook and Lady Red Hook! Hope they have a safe trip home!

Indeed we did! What a great dinner! Really nice show.....and I'll post my mini-report and photos on the 'morrow! I am beat after traveling 400 miles round trip today....but it was worth it! thumbsup2.gif

Brad

Thanks for posting a fine report Pontoon, Comics and good company, sounds good to me.

Helps those of us who cannot attend to put a face, with a name.

Ze-