• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wdb23's Wizard World LA Con report

26 posts in this topic

Wizard World LA has always been the big convention of the year for me. I stopped going to San Diego a few years ago when it got way too out of hand and crowded to deal with. The attendance at WWLA is pretty sparse compared to SDCC, which is bad for dealers but great for me. I hate when crowds are so thick that you can't move, and it's nice to not have lines over a mile long for everything.

When I checked in Friday, I was given a bent up copy of the Captain America #25 exclusive cover and pleaded with the guy handing them out to give me a nicer one since "I was going to get it graded". He looked a little annoyed, but gave me a much better looking copy. More on that later.

I brought in 4 books to CGC and met NewtSampson there. We chatted a little about Star Wars and then I went on my way. I would get the books on Sunday.

Every year at WW I go hunting for early Dr. Strange appearances in Strange Tales. The first one I found was a decent #110 (Docs debut!) Hate that Marvel chipping, but the price was right...

110A.jpg

After walking around the room for a few hours, I left. My wallet was thinner, but those were pretty good deals...

Sunday I went back and instead of seeing lots offering parking for $10, the price was now $40.

$40 to PARK??? WTF???

Apparently when you have a sold out Custom Car show and a Home Repair TV show open casting happening at the same convention center, you can charge whatever you want.

I parked at a meter about a mile away from the convention and walked. To hell with $40 for leaving your car somewhere. That's robbery, and a very good reason attendance was poor at the comic con.

When I got in, I got my books back from CGC. First up is a disappointment. I was really hoping for my first CGC 9.9 or 10.0:

oath1.jpg

The last thing I got before I left I put on the ol' credit card. A Marvel hoodie I will never wear. All Doc Strange clothing goes into storage:

hoody.jpg

Walking back to my car gave me a nice bit of exercise, but I got caught in the auto show traffic going to the freeway and spent over an hour going 4 blocks. I hate gridlocked traffic jams at big shows. Had to call my wife a few times to calm myself down on the cell.

Anyhoo... that was that. A nice weekend with some great scores.

Over and out.

You forgot to mention the Lakers game next door, I saw $50 for parking. Walked 3 blocks north and paid $6 (saw $3 about 5 blocks east), the convention center's $12 parking was sold out. Nice pick ups.

My God... I forgot all about that. Jeez... No wonder. It was insanity down there today.

Didn't pick up one of the Marvel Zombies vs. the Army of Darkness #1 variant cover, one table had them for $25 (same store that was selling them on ebay for $8.33)? Nice Suydam cover and cert. showing only 3,000 printed. I think this one's a good catch.

What did you think about the World's biggest comic book from Golden Apple by KISS for $50 (I was tempted because I know this thing will be limited, but too broke) that you could have signed by Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons for $200 (Ouch)!

I talked to a couple dealers who all said the same thing, this show was low turn out and they hurt from the low sales and most where willing to make deals (ie, 30-50% off).

Didn't pick up one of the Marvel Zombies vs. the Army of Darkness #1 variant cover, one table had them for $25 (same store that was selling them on ebay for $8.33)? Nice Suydam cover and cert. showing only 3,000 printed. I think this one's a good catch.

What did you think about the World's biggest comic book from Golden Apple by KISS for $50 (I was tempted because I know this thing will be limited, but too broke) that you could have signed by Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons for $200 (Ouch)!

I talked to a couple dealers who all said the same thing, this show was low turn out and they hurt from the low sales and most where willing to make deals (ie, 30-50% off).

I was happy Golden Apple got Paul and Gene from Kiss out there. That was a great score for them. I've known Sharon, Ryan, Damon and their late dad Bill since I was a kid.