• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any info on the artist Zolne or Zolnerowich?

8 posts in this topic

I had posted this image in another thread and I noticed the artist for this cover was Zolne. I wasn't familiar with the name so I tried to google it and discovered that he had done quite a few covers for Fiction House among others. I couldn't find much Bio info so I was wondering if anyone here could shed some light on what happened to him and why he is not discussed much.? confused-smiley-013.gifThanks!

realclue.jpg

I had posted this image in another thread and I noticed the artist for this cover was Zolne. I wasn't familiar with the name so I tried to google it and discovered that he had done quite a few covers for Fiction House among others. I couldn't find much Bio info so I was wondering if anyone here could shed some light on what happened to him and why he is not discussed much.? confused-smiley-013.gifThanks!

I like his covers on Airboy.

Starting in 1950, he worked on P.S. Magazine with Eisner (for whom he did background on the Spirit in 1950-1952) until 1969. That's where he "disappeared" for 20 years. For more info on him, a good person to ask would be Murphy Anderson whom he helped again for P.S. Mag in 1976-1978. His main work in comics was as you mentioned Fiction House, then Quality and Hillman. It seems (?) he went in for WWII since his output is about zilch starting in 1943 to about 1946. He also signed his stories Dan Enloz or Lance Blackwood. (Info from the Jerry Bails' Who's Who)

The Comic Strip Project has Zolne born on May 5, 1915 and he died on August 26, 1995 at 80.

I hope I didn't repro information you already knew.

I like his covers on Airboy.

Starting in 1950, he worked on P.S. Magazine with Eisner (for whom he did background on the Spirit in 1950-1952) until 1969. That's where he "disappeared" for 20 years. For more info on him, a good person to ask would be Murphy Anderson whom he helped again for P.S. Mag in 1976-1978. His main work in comics was as you mentioned Fiction House, then Quality and Hillman. It seems (?) he went in for WWII since his output is about zilch starting in 1943 to about 1946. He also signed his stories Dan Enloz or Lance Blackwood. (Info from the Jerry Bails' Who's Who)

The Comic Strip Project has Zolne born on May 5, 1915 and he died on August 26, 1995 at 80.

I hope I didn't repro information you already knew.

No you didn't, Thanks!! thumbsup2.gif

I see where he was credited with inking Robotech Defenders for DC in 1985. That sure is a long gap to be out of comics. I wonder if the job was given to him to help him out or if he wanted to try it one last time?

terrific artist....his cover art in the GA is up there with Fine and Raboy

recreation that i have of a Planet cover

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece...at=0&UCat=0

893applaud-thumb.gif Wow, very nice. Did you commission that recreation or pick that up on the open market? Did he do a lot of commissions? For someone who did so

many cool covers during the Golden Age, you would think there would be more

information out there as to what happened to him. Thanks for sharing!!!!! grin.gif