• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ok, I'm just about done with the Meth vs. threads

12 posts in this topic

• Administrator

The one that existed was pushing my patience. A second one to go with it annoyed me more.

Most of those involved in these discussions seem incapable of actually covering the issues without name-calling, stereo-typing, blustering, and many other third grade tricks. In my opinion, most of you who are driving these issues are just embarrasing yourselves. Meth descends into the childish on a regular basis, and is disturbingly easy to bait. The variety of people on the other side of the fence are no better.

I have allowed these discussions because the purpose of this board is for the community to interact with each other. And while this topic has not been a particularly positive one, it has certainly been one of noticeable interest to many people. In fact, despite several attempts to chill the tone of these discussions, and deleting large swaths of the garbage (such as from that Heritage thread) - it keeps coming back.

This topic is like roaches.

The catch-22 here is that I can eliminate the problem by banning all discussion of it. But if I do that, I'm clearly favoring one side or the other. I can ban posters who take things too far, but the tendency on this topic has been for each side to creep closer and closer to the line of inappropriateness. You egg each other on towards the 3rd grade, until I get back from a night out or whatever, and find a big fat mess. At that point, it's a little ridiculous to try and sort out the good from the bad and the ugly, and frankly I don't have the patience for it.

Thus, here is my resolution on this, I guess. If any post regarding this garbage is reported by someone (using the "notify moderator" button under the "post extras" at the bottom of each post), and it is:

• anywhere even close to the line of being offensive in language
  • personally insulting
  • contains any kind of physical blustering
  • has hi-jacked another thread that is NOT about this topic

Then it's getting deleted. The person who posted it will spend the next few days suspended from the boards - to be allowed back in when I get around to remembering to let them back in. Anyone who responded to the initial post in a like manner will also get suspended - without regard for the fact that they "didn't start it" or that the dog ate their homework, or any other such foolishness.

If I catch you making up multiple identities to get around these repercussions for your actions, I will ban you relentlessly.

Simply put - although these discussions concern the community, and although they are sometimes interesting - they are more often vulgar and useless. And they're just not worth the peace of mind of the many other posters who find them offensive.

As to what's condoned or not by these boards, Meth - grow up. You have received, by FAR, the most benefit from leniency of any poster on these boards. By rights, you shouldn't even be here. And if you weren't, I likely wouldn't have to be wasting my time with this.

To the community in general - this issue is to some extent in YOUR hands. You must initiate these actions by reporting a post as inappropriate, because I will not spend my time pre-emptively analyzing each post for offensive content.

Arch

- anywhere even close to the line of being offensive in language

- personally insulting

- contains any kind of physical blustering

- has hi-jacked another thread that is NOT about this topic

Excellent guidelines, Arch. And some good self-expression in the post. You sound like a person as opposed to a moderator, so to speak! lol

I've been reading all day, and was finally going to put my 2 cents in....but, Arch, you beat me to it. While the battles were amusing for a little bit, it certainly got out of hand. I've tried to post as little as possible on this issue, as I do think that Meth (while he can be extremely confrontational and offensive) is behaving as any one of us would under the constant barrage of accusations directed at him. The solution, I think, is pretty simple. If you don't like/trust Meth, than don't buy his books! I've never dealt with him, as I don't bid on many books and I will not bid on anything unslabbed except for reader copies, and he specializes in high grade, unslabbed material. Thanks Arch!

Chris

• Administrator

Because it was filled with alot of posturing and questionable language. There were some good posts nestled in among the garbage, but they were the minority - and I didn't feel like taking the time to separate the good from the bad.

Arch