• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seeking feedback on my website...

56 posts in this topic

1) I can view entire logo

2) I think that works fine. My only concern is the photos could be smaller in my opinion and sharper rather then big almost distorted images.

3) Background solid color works wonders for me. I hate pictures as backgrounds on websites because they get distracting. So I fully like the black background.

4) Never paid attention to fonts before, never will as long as I can read it clearly. BOLD is GOLD.

5) I have to scroll. Once again I'd rather see smaller but crisper images, that would also get rid of the scrolling problem.

Other: I do enjoy the complete scans you have and as far as a small comic book selling website goes, it's great.

Thanks, Jim. I'm definitely going to reduce the font size, and I'l take a look at arial. I'm also going to reduce the size of the pics. One problem that I've had is that my thumbnails come out a little fuzzy. Not sure how to fix that.

Jeff

1) I can view entire logo

2) I think that works fine. My only concern is the photos could be smaller in my opinion and sharper rather then big almost distorted images.

3) Background solid color works wonders for me. I hate pictures as backgrounds on websites because they get distracting. So I fully like the black background.

4) Never paid attention to fonts before, never will as long as I can read it clearly. BOLD is GOLD.

5) I have to scroll. Once again I'd rather see smaller but crisper images, that would also get rid of the scrolling problem.

Other: I do enjoy the complete scans you have and as far as a small comic book selling website goes, it's great.

Thanks, Sid. headbang.gif

tables are so passé. div tags with cascading style sheets are the way to go.

I would suggest that, but I have no idea how to do that. I'm a noob at webpages.

I don't even know what it means. foreheadslap.gif

I like everything except the high prices poke2.gif especially on that Action #45,

just kidding, btw I actually liked the black backround,..

I know that you have a "secret door" to your personal collection through the boy reading the Superman #19, but I think it shouldn't be hidden, people should be able to browse your collection without being "in the know".

my two cents..

Thanks, Jim. I'm definitely going to reduce the font size, and I'l take a look at arial. I'm also going to reduce the size of the pics. One problem that I've had is that my thumbnails come out a little fuzzy. Not sure how to fix that.

Jeff

Are you making two images (one full size and one thumb) or just reducing the size of the full scan to fit as a thumbnail. I found that reducing images from full size scans in a web generator (I use FrontPage) distorts the images badly. Even a small reduction...

To eliminate the problem, I make two images from a 200 DPI scan in my image manipulator. I use HP Photo and Imaging but the same can be done by any brand (used to use Adobe Photomaker) Save one full size and then resize again for the thumbnail save. Load those into onto your site and the distortion is greatly minimized...

Jim

Jeff, what's the purpose of the website? are you looking to make a bigger business of it? As it is; a small, personal 'for sale' mini-site, I think it's fine. If you are looking to make a bigger deal of it, there are a number of suggestions I'd make.

I think I want to keep it simple, but I certainly want it to be pleasant for anyone that happens upon, or seeks out, the site. I certainly wouldn't mind if the site got more business, but I have no notion of making it a full-time enterprise. With that in mind, any suggestions would be appreciated!

Jeff

In that case,

-I'd say try to get the home page full screen, as opposed to having to scroll down, to see it all.

-new, less photoshoppy logo

- black background is fine, as you have little text on the site, but that bright green should change to something less garish.

overall, I always found the site easy to navigate, and pleasant to flip through, so I don't think much needs changing. thumbsup2.gif

Jeff

Are you making two images (one full size and one thumb) or just reducing the size of the full scan to fit as a thumbnail. I found that reducing images from full size scans in a web generator (I use FrontPage) distorts the images badly. Even a small reduction...

To eliminate the problem, I make two images from a 200 DPI scan in my image manipulator. I use HP Photo and Imaging but the same can be done by any brand (used to use Adobe Photomaker) Save one full size and then resize again for the thumbnail save. Load those into onto your site and the distortion is greatly minimized...

Jim

I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

Jeff

I like everything except the high prices poke2.gif especially on that Action #45,

just kidding, btw I actually liked the black backround,..

I know that you have a "secret door" to your personal collection through the boy reading the Superman #19, but I think it shouldn't be hidden, people should be able to browse your collection without being "in the know".

my two cents..

oooh, "easter eggs", me likey very much. cloud9.gif

In that case,

-I'd say try to get the home page full screen, as opposed to having to scroll down, to see it all.

-new, less photoshoppy logo

- black background is fine, as you have little text on the site, but that bright green should change to something less garish.

overall, I always found the site easy to navigate, and pleasant to flip through, so I don't think much needs changing. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks, Matt. thumbsup2.gif

I check out your site regularly and just love the newer section of old photos of kids reading comics or the old photos of comics on shelves being sold at drug stores or where ever that might be. cloud9.gif

Personally I really like your site and I guess your question would be how come I haven't bought anything yet? Very soon or within a month or so.

To answer the questions you asked:

1. When I open up your site the "CO" is slightly cut off until I scroll left.

2. Don't change the way you have your inventory arranged, it's very simple to use.

3. Black is good and I wouldn't change it with the yellow and red you use.

4. The font is fine or Very Fine.

5. When I go to a screen with three scans I have to scroll left to see the balance

of the last one.

Great job and I'lll be in touch one day. thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I have a humble little website, with an inventory small enough that it doesn't require much complexity. The site does not have a search function, but again, you don't have to work very hard to determine if I have what you're looking for.

I'm looking for feedback on the look of the site, and thoughts on how it's organized. I'm especially interested in answers to the following questions:

1) When you arrive at the site, can you view the entire Detective27.com logo at the top, or is part of it cut off?

I saw the entire logo with no problems I saw the entire logo with no problems

2) I currently have the inventory categorized in this way...

a)Golden Age

b)CGC Silver & Bronze

c)Raw Silver & Bronze

d)Raw Copper/Modern

Do you like it this way, or would you like to see the inventory organized in a different way?

No! But due to the amount of books you have on there it probably is as good as it needs to be. But due to the amount of books you have on there it probably is as good as it needs to be.

3) Do you like black as the background throughout the site?

Yes but would be willing to change if someone could show a better color with reasoned explanation.

4) Do you like the font used on the site? Is there one that you think is easier to read or more pleasing to the eye? Do you like or dislike that I have everything in bold.

a) Yes.

b) ???

c) Not real high on the Bold

5) At the top of each category page, I have 3 scans. Can you see all 3 when you arrive at each page, or do you need to scroll left/right to view them?

a) Yes. I can see them all

I would, of course, appreciate any other thoughts you might have.

Thanks!

Jeff

Thanks, Mica. Did you reduce those in the manner Rick described?
I just used my Paintshop (It's Photoshop's kid brother). I thought I'd see what they look like at a height of 400.

Currently your front page is showing the larger images at a height of 581.

I thought it might be a good compromise if you're wanting images that are bigger than thumbnails but not quite so tall that people have to scroll.

I could probably make them any size. confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks, Mica. Did you reduce those in the manner Rick described?
I just used my Paintshop (It's Photoshop's kid brother). I thought I'd see what they look like at a height of 400.

Currently your front page is showing the larger images at a height of 581.

I thought it might be a good compromise if you're wanting images that are bigger than thumbnails but not quite so tall that people have to scroll.

I could probably make them any size. confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks, Mica. Now I have 2 ways to try it. 893applaud-thumb.gif