• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kirby Superman

5 posts in this topic

In picking out my current icon "Goody Rickles" I was reminded about something of a controversy during Kirby's run on Jimmy Olsen. DC didn't let Kirby draw superman's face during his time at DC. I think I remember that they were afraid that his typical facial characterizations would not be recognizable(check out an issue if you don't believe it). They did let him do the body artwork. So anyway, who did draw the face art(curt swan?). Anybody remember who it was?....I'm also trying to think if something like this was ever done with another character.

My memory is a little fuzzy but it was something like this.For some reason The people at the tonite show were given 3-D glasses to wear for some skit. After this, Ed mcMahonnoticed that on some of the glasses was printed Jack Kirby-the king of comics.He pointed it out to johnny who threw a real hissy fit. For several minutes he rippied into the unknown comic who would dare to call himself the King of comics. All through out the show, and the next show(I think they were taped 2 shows at a time) Kirby was abused mercilessly,called a fake, ect, ect. I guess when the taping was done someone pointed out that Jack Kirby was the king of comicbooks, not a comedian. Carson took time out during his next monologe to apologize and had Jack on a few days later. Jack was incredibly stiff and I always wondered if he was angry or just having stagefright.Like I said in the beginning, this happened long ago and my memories might be off on detail or two but thats the gist of the story.After Mr Kirbys death, Peter David touched upon this story in the CBG tribute issue if that is available online.