• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Huge mass of restored books about to hit E-bay soon

62 posts in this topic

..Just wanted to let everyone know so they can be aware that a huge collection of restored books, are about to hit E-bay very soon,...I was responding to a lead for an OO collection that I contacted earlier this week,..ta total of about 1300 books all from about 7.0-9.4 condition,...includes Hulk #1-6 and 108-220,...Avengers 1-10,...X-man #1-8,...Amazing Fantasy #15,...JIM #83,...a remarkable set of TTA from about 52-100,...Brave and Bold #28-30,..and the rest are assorted golden age books,..

...they were being sold by a consignment shop in Port Orchard Wa and the owner of the would not divulge the books owner,..when asked if they was any resto done on the books she simply replied that she does not know,...

...I picked out about 50 of the books and more than half had evident color touch trim and glued tear seals on the cover and spine,....when I alerted her to to tis her response was simply "don't buy the books then,..they are being sold as is"

...I did have an opportunity to see a certification from the Hulk #1 book that came from Matt Wilson on Fantasy Masterpiece letterhead circa 1995 that it was his professional opinion that there was no resto work done on that book,...it also had the owners name and address in Texas, But I don't feel comfortable posting it because I don't know if he is the current owner,....but the books will be hitting E-bay raw soon and I just wanted to give a friendly heads up,...

I guess it will be fairly easy to surmise who is selling this once the books hit ebay but is there any reason we shouldn't know who the ebay seller is by name now? If youve looked at the books and you know that from your sample a high percentage were restored, and they are going to be sold as buyer beware, I would like to know now! thumbsup2.gif

So, did you buy anything anyways? confused-smiley-013.gifpoke2.gif

...Nah,..I had about 50 books picked out,..and I was just going over them for a third time,...I opened up the front cover to the B&B #28 and saw that there was a tiny 1/16 inch tear on the upper top cover that i didn't see before,...then I put on my glasses and I saw the tear seal was glued,... mad.gif,...I was so disgusted after that I dumped the hole frickin batch of them,...

I would like to know now! thumbsup2.gif

Yep...especially if the auctions have BINs associated with them. Finding out after the books are up could be too late for some...

Jim

...sorry have no idea what her E-bay ID is,...only that her shop was located in Port Orchard Wa....I'll try to find out though,...

I was responding to a lead for an OO collection that I contacted earlier this week,..

Just curious...but if it is an OO collection then why are the books restored...have you contacted the OO to ask about this???...

I was responding to a lead for an OO collection that I contacted earlier this week,..

Just curious...but if it is an OO collection then why are the books restored...have you contacted the OO to ask about this???...

..it was being sold by a consignment shop as an OO collection,..they would not tell me who the owner was,..once I got talking to her I realized that it wasn't an OO collection at all, but a gathered collection,...in fact the Hulk #1 came from a shop in Dallas Texas 10 years ago with a letter from Matt Wilson indicating that to the best of his knowledge there was no resto done on it,...I already checked with the Dallas store owner and he remembers selling it to a lawyer in Louisiana ten years ago,...but many of the other books had color touch and glue seals and edges that were just a tad too sharp and even with the pages for my liking,....

So basically...the consignment shop is a bunch of unethical bastages... sumo.gif

...yep,..they made it clear that all sales were final,..and when I showed her the books with the tear seals she was un-fazed,...she did get a little pissed off when I whipped out my black light,... tongue.gif...then five minutes later she tells me she uses one herself to find sealed cracks in pottery and china,...

So basically...the consignment shop is a bunch of unethical bastages... sumo.gif

...yep,..they made it clear that all sales were final,..and when I showed her the books with the tear seals she was un-fazed,...she did get a little pissed off when I whipped out my black light,... tongue.gif...then five minutes later she tells me she uses one herself to find sealed cracks in pottery and china,...

thus, this is why we must emphasize the importance of full disclosure! no one wants any unpleasent surprises.

Me no get why anyone would restore a silver age book.

If you want a nice one, they are not hard to find. And no amount of resto can make a low grade book appear truly near mint. So I see no reason to do it at all. One place I cannot argue with the PLOD is with any restored book that is common enough you can find a couple dozen on ebay at any given moment.

Port Orchard?!

Was this one of the antique shops?

...yep,...on bay st,...more of a consignment shop than antique shop,....china,...toys,...pictures,...junk everywhere,...

...Ok,...some of these books have already been listed on E-bay,...I'm not going to list any names but it would AMAZING if most of you could not figure it out,....I'm not saying that they are all restored,...but you would have to live in a FANTASY world to buy these books without a guarantee or return policy from the seller,....I think "15" days would be a fair amount of time,... gossip.gif