• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Thor 158 and 159

8 posts in this topic

Got these two books really cheap, and thought it would be nice to own a telling of the origin of Thor. The books aren't NM by any standards and are probably in the range of good to very good, i think. I'm just 21, so my grading skills definately don't have the expereince of the fellow forum members, so I was wondering what these books would grade:

Thor 158 front cover:

Interior has cream to off-white pages

thor158oq0.jpg

back cover:

thor158backyr8.jpg

Thor 159 front cover:

Interior actually has totally white pages!

thor159kr0.jpg

back cover:

thor159backft8.jpg

any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks for the grades guys. i'm glad the 158 got what it did for its looks. I wasn't sure what to make of the spine wear.

158 about a 4.5

159 6.5

I like the 159 and white pages makes it sweeter!

thumbsup2.gif

yeah, it 159 is pretty nice and is even better because it looks great on the inside! and none of that old paper smell that runs throughout so many old comics.

i'm just glad that i got these issues for the prices i did. i dont quite have the money to pursue the higher grades of SA books.

Ok, looks like grades were stated lets see If I can do some explanation.

158: VG (4.0) max, I'm leaning 3.5 even. That is a lot of color breaking wear and creasing to the spine and along the top edge, with the interior in stated condition cream, how are the staples? Is there calcification, discoloration, or rust migration? How is the centerfold with that much spine stress it may be loose. Anyway with that much color breaking wear its VG max IMO.

159: 7.0 maybe even 7.5 - considering the stress in the Overstreet Grading Guide that can occur in a 7.5 I don't see it as out of the question, Back cover looks solid, pages are stated as white, so I'm lead to believe that the interior is solid. Looks like some circumstantial edge wear that does break color which pulls it out of VF. Corners look solid though as do the edges on at least 3 sides.

Ok, looks like grades were stated lets see If I can do some explanation.

158: VG (4.0) max, I'm leaning 3.5 even. That is a lot of color breaking wear and creasing to the spine and along the top edge, with the interior in stated condition cream, how are the staples? Is there calcification, discoloration, or rust migration? How is the centerfold with that much spine stress it may be loose. Anyway with that much color breaking wear its VG max IMO.

159: 7.0 maybe even 7.5 - considering the stress in the Overstreet Grading Guide that can occur in a 7.5 I don't see it as out of the question, Back cover looks solid, pages are stated as white, so I'm lead to believe that the interior is solid. Looks like some circumstantial edge wear that does break color which pulls it out of VF. Corners look solid though as do the edges on at least 3 sides.

upon looking at these books again, for the 158, I'd have to lean more towards the interior pages being more off-white than cream. I held the 158 and the 159 interiors side by side, and the 158 is just off-white whereas the 159 is totally white.

the staple condition in both issues are outstanding. in the 158 there is no sign of any deterioration or rust in the staples at all. all pages are very secure. in the 159, the staples look brand new and the pages are very secure.

how much do the staples and interior condition bring up or bring down the grades? because for the 158, aside from the heavy spine stress, the interior is really superb, whereas the 159 is even better.