• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What comic cover do you most remember as a kid?

30 posts in this topic

The one that really blew my mind was an FF (I want to say 161 but I am just guessing) with the Thing getting ready to bust a Tyrannosaur right in the mouth. I haven't seen that cover in a long time, but my memory of it is still very strong.

I remember waiting for this issue to come out and can distinctly remember seeing a dozen copies on the rack at Fay's Drugs. I think that's the reason I now own so many copies.

34zek5c.jpg

Man look at all those X-mens. So do each of these worth up to $2,500? poke2.gif

Good question. Here are mine, from oldest to newest.

I remember reading Flash 108 on a summer afternoon in the back yard of a neighborhood friend's house, but well after its publication in Aug-Sep 1959. It must have been a big brother's copy. I remember the scenes of Gorilla City from the Grodd story even more strongly than the cover.

1719373-flash108.jpg

Giant Turtle Man Olsen stuck with me for years after reading it many times at an aunt's and uncle's house in Lakewood, OH. The family had five daughters, and apparently the comic books came from one of their uncles whom I never met. I know know that the cover was swiped from Thrilling Wonder Stories by way of a Superboy cover, but I sure didn't care about that at the time.

1719373-SPJO53.jpg

Fantastic Four 1 -- I remember making a tremendous impression on me when I first saw it at another friend's in Amherst, OH. It was probably fairly fresh off the newsstand in fall 1961 (cover date Nov 1961). It wasn't like the comic books I usually read. The characters were creepy -- how could that lumpy guy be a hero? -- the villains were monsters, the coloring was dark, and a lot of the action took place underground. It took me a while to get back to Fantastic Four.

1719373-FF1.jpg

Another comic book in the stack in Lakewood was My Greatest Adventure 83, featuring the Doom Patrol. I still feel that Negative Man provided one of the strongest visual images of the Silver Age.

1719373-MGA83.jpg

Here's one I got in a trade from the same friend who had the Flash 108. I vividly remember reading it on the floor of the living room of my childhood house. I bartered it away with several other for a haircut at the local barber. *SOB*

1719373-asm1.jpg

Finally, one that I bought off the newsstand myself (although this is not my copy). I really liked the Swan-era Legion of Super-Heroes, and this was one of my favorite issues, introducing the Legion of Super-Outlaws (Heroes of Lallor). A universe of super-characters with all sorts of bizarre powers really appealed to me.

1719373-Adv324.jpg

Finally, a request. Does anyone have any copies of the obscure "New Men of War"? There were apparently two issues published by the Catechetical Guild in 1949, each containing 5 rebound issues of Topix. It was one of those things that was just always around the house, there to look at again when there were no new comic books. The issue I remember had (I think) a light blue cover with a picture of a Mountie. I contained a mixture of sappy or surreal funny animal comics plus preachy text stories. Guide prices are low, but I've never seen another issue besides that one long lost to the mists of time.

Jack

PS

Finally, a request. Does anyone have any copies of the obscure "New Men of War"? There were apparently two issues published by the Catechetical Guild in 1949, each containing 5 rebound issues of Topix. It was one of those things that was just always around the house, there to look at again when there were no new comic books. The issue I remember had (I think) a light blue cover with a picture of a Mountie. I contained a mixture of sappy or surreal funny animal comics plus preachy text stories. Guide prices are low, but I've never seen another issue besides that one long lost to the mists of time.

Holy Fudd!!!!

This is it!

1719373-b6fa_1.JPG

What a nostalgic rush just seeing it!

It sold on ebay in January with 8 old Navy Comics for only $10, and I missed it! @#$%^&

Jack

I remember waiting for this issue to come out and can distinctly remember seeing a dozen copies on the rack at Fay's Drugs. I think that's the reason I now own so many copies.

Man look at all those X-mens. So do each of these worth up to $2,500? poke2.gif

Not even close to $2500. But if I had the CGC 9.9 #137, maybe.........

For me it has to be captain marvel #28 by starlin! I remember seeing it sitting in the attic. It was a little beat up and resting on a stack of other comics. I believe it originally belonged to one of my older sisters. That great cover just called out to me and the rest is history!

I guess I am older than most of you, but the book I remember most is Fantastic Four #25. The long awaited fight between the Hulk and the Thing. It continued in FF # 26. I waited for two years for that fight. It kind of happened in FF#12, but not really. I currently have 5 copies of FF #25 and one #26 (the cover on 26 wasn't all that hot). FF #25 is my all time favorite book.

The next comic I waited for and still remember the cover of, was the first race between the Flash and Superman. It was Superman #199. I only have two of those smile.gif