• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst Damage You Ever Accidentally Inflicted On A Comic

15 posts in this topic

About a year ago I got an Avengers Annual #10 from an E-bay auction. It was described as NM+ 9.6 raw. When I got it in the mail and opened the box the first thing I noticed was that it was heat-sealed in it's bag (no idea why, it just was). After a quick inspection (still in the bag) I was thrilled to see that it for sure was at least a 9.4, maybe 9.6, but I would have to wait until I got home to give it a thorough inspection.

After I got home I took out a newly sharpened filet knife to open the bag. As I was cutting the top of the bag open the knife "jumped" just a fraction of an inch, but it was enough (with it's newly sharpened blade) for me to put a nice half inch (precision) cut through the entire book right in the center of the top.

Ok, tell me your "DOH! Look what I just did to this comic!" stories.

Wasn't really something I did but it was disappointing just the same. Bought a 1950 Roy Rogers #29 that was supposed to be in VF+ condition. The book arrived and would possibly have gone NM- except the guy shipped it bagged and boarded, it was then sandwiched between to pieces of cardboard which were taped together.

Unfortunately the bag split and the spine came into contact with the tape during shipping. With the gentle care taken by the post office some jostling around must have occurred because by the time I opened it there was about a half inch square piece of cover that had the outside layers ripped off. The seller seemed honest enough and also seemed to feel bad. He offered a $10 rebate or return for full refund. I told him I would take a $5 rebate to show good faith and kept the book.

Phil

The worst damage I have seen recently was a book that I had purchased through the mail. The book was shipped in a mylar and the mylar was taped to cardboard. The book shifted during shipping and got stuck to the tape! shocked.gif Luckily it was the type of tape that can be removed with a hairdryer if done properly.

My worst case was on a few McFarlane Hulks. I had them laid out on the floor because I was giving all of my raw books a new bag & board.

Of course my Dad walks in and steps on a stack of Hulks which bent the hell out of em frown.gif I yelled, "DAD!" He moved his foot and said, "HAAHHA, oops sorry." Thank god it was inexpensive books he damaged.

I was checking my X-Men back issues, and stupidly went to bed with 138-141(all around 9.4) laying on the floor.

Evidently they looked like milk-bones - my dog (I'm doing a criminal re-enactment here) walked on them a few times, then ate around 1/3 of each cover, and climbed back up on the couch and went to sleep.

The real kicker is, 3 days later when I was picking up the dog dirt - "look! It's Wendigo!" - that sort of added insult to injury........

frown.gif

Put a NM/M Conan 3 safely in a mylar. Put said mylar on a shelf, standing up nicely.

Forgot about said Conan 3. These things happen.

Maybe a year later, maybe two.

Came home from a trip.

Threw many large books onto said shelf.

Neatly folding the Conan 3 into an "L".

I bought a so-so copy of Weird Science-Fantasy 29 at the San Diego Con on the last day for something like 30 dollars (that's the one with the cover by some famous artist, whose name I forget).

I wanted to give the book to a friend in a frame, so I proceeded to carefully remove it from the plastic bag it was in.

Taking out the book (carefully, mind you) I let the tape used to seal the bag touch the front cover, removing a nice little chunk of image.

I'm sure people could hear the words G** D***it! in the next state over.

I hate that tape! What do you think of putting double sided on acid-frees on back of comic? (not flap)

Haven't really had a bad accident, but the sticky tape incident happens every other time i open a bag.