• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RIP Marshall Rogers

8 posts in this topic

Here's the very sad information from DC Comics:

ARTIST MARSHALL ROGERS DIES AT AGE 57

Artist Marshall Rogers, who won acclaim for his stylish depiction of Batman, has died at age 57.

“Marshall was one of the radical young stylists bringing new looks to DC in the ‘70s, especially with his memorable collaboration with Steve Englehart on Batman,” says DC Comics President & Publisher Paul Levitz. “His debonair smile and charm were every bit as endearing as his art was energetic, and his colleagues at DC are all shocked to have a great artist pass so young.”

Born January 22, 1950, Rogers studied architecture at Kent State University before pursuing a career in comics. His earliest work appeared in Marvel Comics’ black and white magazines; in 1976, his art first appeared in a backup story in DETECTIVE COMICS, the title with which he is most identified.

Rogers quickly moved up to pencilling the lead stories in DETECTIVE, working with his frequent collaborators, writer Steve Englehart and inker Terry Austin, on a run of issues that featured the acclaimed “Joker Fish” story. He simultaneously drew a memorable run on MISTER MIRACLE.

Rogers returned to Batman frequently after his initial run on DETECTIVE, contributing stories to BATMAN FAMILY and other titles, including a new look at the Dark Knight’s beginnings in SECRET ORIGINS. In the 1980s, Rogers began working for Eclipse Comics, with projects including Coyote, Scorpio, the graphic novel Detectives, Inc., and his own creation, Cap’n Quick and A Foozle.

By the mid-1980s, Rogers was working for Marvel Comics, where he illustrated Dr. Strange, G.I. Joe, Howard the Duck and more, as well as a long run on Silver Surfer. He became the artist on the Batman daily comic strip at the end of the decade.

More recently, Rogers illustrated the miniseries GREEN LANTERN: EVIL’S MIGHT, then returned to the Dark Knight for a 5-part story in BATMAN: LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT. He reteamed with Englehart and Austin for the 2005 miniseries BATMAN: DARK DETECTIVE, a follow up on their classic work of the 1970s.

———

My deepest sympathy goes out to the Rogers family. Marshall was one of, if not THE best Batman artist of all time.

May he rest in peace.

yeah. he was great guy i had the chance to meet him back in 1978 when he was doing the detective run. very talkitive and nice. he was doing a batman / manbat drawing for me, he was talking the whole time while drawing.

when this guy stuck his head in the door and shouted hey marshall how,s it going. i was still focused on the drawing after about three minutes later. marshall said oh by the way that was neal adams. i said what the f. and started to go look for him as at that time i had never met or seen neal adams.. but i waited till he was done as he pencilled and inked the drawing. it turn out very nice.

he will be missed. angel.gif larry ;]

always like marshall's work, my introduction was the silver surfer series in the late 80s. fun stuff.

what i didn't know..."Born January 22, 1950"

my bd too...along with chiodo and alex ross. of course we've all different years.

You think Paul Levitz could give more praise than this?

DC Comics President Paul Levitz, who was a story writer during the 1970s, said Rogers' groundbreaking early work defied the conventions of the time.

"There have maybe been about 4,000 Batman comics done over the years. And the stuff he worked on with his collaborator is in the top 100," Levitz said.

You think Paul Levitz could give more praise than this?

DC Comics President Paul Levitz, who was a story writer during the 1970s, said Rogers' groundbreaking early work defied the conventions of the time.

"There have maybe been about 4,000 Batman comics done over the years. And the stuff he worked on with his collaborator is in the top 100," Levitz said.

27_laughing.gif That's definitely a bit of a back handed copliment for a legendary artist who just passed away.