• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Chicago Report

96 posts in this topic

So these are the first 10.0s with the new label? I just might have to throw my hat into the ring for this one...

Yup. The very first 10 with the new label assigned in Chicago is Formerly Known as the Justice League #1. The second was Trinity #1. I think those will probably show up on ebay later this week - different seller though.

I'm going to see Peter later this morning, I'm sure he's in a state of shock over the Supreme Power #1. It hit reserve less than 40 minutes after the auction was listed yesterday afternoon.

Kev

I'm surprised that a savvy resto expert has not set up a booth to do resto checks for a fee. That would definitely cut into CGC's onsite grading of silver / gold books and be cheaper than slabbing.

But then all the "collectors" wouldn't have their encapsulated trophies! 893naughty-thumb.gif

That would be a good idea, but who would you consider a savvy restoration expert? There are very few inviduals in the hobby that can routinely identify restoration.

Perhaps Matt Nelson? Susan Ciccone?

What would they charge? It would have to be considerably less than CGC's grading fee to make it saleable to the public - as with CGC they get the resto check as well as the grading and encapsulation.

Kev

My experience with onsite grading

Hulk 181, bought raw, came back restored 9.2. Dealers comment when I returned it - Really?

Mile High Cowgirl Romances - 2 9.4's, 1 9.8, 1 restored 9.2, 1 9.0, 1 8.0. Done last because of validating that they were the Mile Highs.

Without sealing the book in something, any professional restoration check pretty much becomes invalid after leaving the restoration checkers hands. What was the hourly rate for Wilson, Ciccone, Nelson, etc.,. at the peak of the resto craze? Wonder how it would compare to CGC's econ/standard/express rate? I don't see this being a profitable endeavour for anyone when you consider CGC grades the book, provides the resto check, and slabs it.

Do you really care about grading and encapsulation if your not going to sell the book? I would think that most of the comic resto guys show up at the major shows anyway, so set up a booth. I don't know what CGC charges to encapsulate a silver or gold book, but if a flat fee can be charged regardless of the "value" of the book, I think a resto person can undercut CGC big time. The resto person does not have to go into great detail about the amount of resto on a book since as soon as any type of resto is found, most buyers will balk at purchasing. Is it restored? a yes or no answer would do it for me.

Without sealing the book in something, any professional restoration check pretty much becomes invalid after leaving the restoration checkers hands.

Yes, but so what? If I buy a book from a dealer, give it to the resto expert and he says it's restored, I return it to the dealer. I could care less if the check is now invalid, because I'm not buying the book. The dealer can do whatever he wants with this newfound knowledge, and I don't get burned.

I think Ciccone charges about $100- $150 to do a resto check about 5 years ago.

At first I wasn't crazy about the labels but they are starting to grow on me. Apparently they have more security features and can hold more information which is important to me with Signature Series. Good luck on the Thor Vikings Darth!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2187505416&category=17080&rd=1

I just put up some 9.4 SA Spidey's and 9.8's in the late 100's, early 200's.

Peter Dixon

Paradise Comics

(416) 487-9807

That's what I figured...would never be profitable for someone to set up a booth and offer this service, even at $15-20 a pop.

I doubt CGC pays their resto people $100-$150 an hour. I would think any resto person could do it for the same price as CGC's cost. Just train a couple of flunkys at the basic skills.... I'm sure that is what CGC does.

Just train a couple of flunkys at the basic skills.... I'm sure that is what CGC does.

Gee, and here I thought all the graders had in the ballpark of 20+ years of experience collecting, grading, and checking comic books for restoration, and the restoration detection "expert" worked in the field for over five years to become good at it? Silly me! confused-smiley-013.gif

With the correct equipment, it can't take more than five minutes to do a restoration check. Charge $10 a book at make around $80-100 an hour.

You are not restoring anything, just checking. The hard part I would think, would be trimming. That being said, a good restoration person could have templates made of various books from publishers as a guide.

Bob, I assume the dealer gave you back your money on the Hulk 181? And more importantly (to me at least), did you have any suspicion that it was restored when you bought it? What type of restoration did it have?

I doubt CGC pays their resto people $100-$150 an hour. I would think any resto person could do it for the same price as CGC's cost. Just train a couple of flunkys at the basic skills.... I'm sure that is what CGC does.

Well...it seems at least they are trained well enough to detect restoration...that's more than can be said about you...

and what exactly is your definition of a "flunky"???

Just train a couple of flunkys at the basic skills.... I'm sure that is what CGC does.

Gee, and here I thought all the graders had in the ballpark of 20+ years of experience collecting, grading, and checking comic books for restoration, and the restoration detection "expert" worked in the field for over five years to become good at it? Silly me! confused-smiley-013.gif

When did the conversation focus on graders? From the CGC website, It states it has 1 resto expert. Does he look at every single book personally? If so I would not want to be #700 out of the 700 books graded in SD. If he is the only "expert", then how much time does he spend looking at a book? 1hour??? 1 min??? CGC does not pay this guy $150 an hour, trust me.

If Susan C. set up a booth at SD with 5 resto people she is training and they do resto checks on books, would you not trust their opinion? Why CGC and not someone else?