• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who are the greatest Batman artists of all time? (i.e. Marshall Rogers)

Who is the greatest Batman artist of all time?  

276 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the greatest Batman artist of all time?

63 posts in this topic

With Marshall Rogers dying, I was wondering about his place in history among the greatest Batman artists of all time.

My personal list of the greatest artists who have ever drawn Batman on a regular basis, are as follows, in this order:

1. Neal Adams

2. Jim Aparo

3. Marshall Rogers

4. Frank Miller

5. Bob Kane

6. Mike Kaluta

7. Norm Breyfogle

8. Infantio/Anderson

9. Gene Colan

10. Sprang

Who do you think are the greatest, either from this list, or other artists?

Hands down, Neal Adams. Not only revolutionized the art form, but also the industry with his fight for recognition of creator's work. His stuff to this day still looks contemporary and hands down better than 90% of what is out there! And this is a Frank Miller fan speaking. thumbsup2.gif

All of the artists are truly great in their own right, but nothing touches Adams style, body of work, appeal..etc.

1. Jim Aparo (his early 70's stuff like his Detective run)

2. Neal Adams

3. Marshall Rogers

4. Gene Colan

5. Alan Davis

As for Breyfogle, give me a break guys ! foreheadslap.gif

To think that DC let him draw Batman for so many issues frown.gif

I'm not familiar with Kaluta doing bats.

Trevor Van Eden did a great annual in the late 80s.

Wow, I hated Von Eden, I thought he was the worst Batman artist of all time. Certainly the worst Batman ears of all time.

Here's my favorite Kaluta Batman work:

29874572_o.jpg

Neal Adams, Marshall Rogers, Mike Golden, and as Jeff said, Jerry Robinson in the Golden Age (Sprang was never my cup a tea).

Aparo was nice in an Adams derivative way. I'd put him solidly in the 2nd tier with Breyfogle, Infantino, and the also-died-way-too-young Don Newton. Though primarily an inker, Giordano should make the list for the polish he brought to Irv Novick's work.

Kaluta and Wrightson and Simonson were also great, but did so little Batman art (in Kaluta's case, only covers).

Adams is not only my favorite Batman artist, but my favorite comic artist period.

Aparo is a good artist but something of an Adams clone in my opinion.

Marshall Rogers had a distinct, original, and very unique style that I remember would blend a Golden Age style with a contemporary one. His art had a huge impact in a title that was going downhill after Adams' departure.

I would put Wrightson after Rogers. Wrightson is my #2 all-time favorite comic artist, but Wrightson's depictions of super heroes can be almost comical they are so bad at times (i.e., The Weird); however, Batman was the one hero he could really draw.

Sprang, Adams, Rogers

Sprang bucked the trend by producing top quality & incredibly intricate work when all he had to do was ape a style. Something like World's finest #88 with Joker & Luthor is LIGHT YEARS ahead of his contemporaries. Adams did a remarkable turn around by teaming up with a writer also interested in changing the staus Quo, and was of course, one of the most innovative draftsmen in the business. Rogers again breathed life into a stale character when he took the reins.

Kaluta and Wrightson and Simonson were also great, but did so little Batman art (in Kaluta's case, only covers).

Yes, I wish we could have seen more Batman from these guys. They get honorable mentions I guess.

I would have also liked to have seen a lot more Batman from guys like McFarlane, Lee, and especially Starlin.

Starlin did some striking Batman work, like this:

1304_3.JPG

Neal Adams is hands down the best on the list. I did find it odd that sheldon moldoff and jerry robinson weren't on the list to choose from.

I also thought it was somewhat odd jim lee wasn't on the list as Hush was an excellent story ark and lee contributed to other batman books.

I also thought the comment about Norm Breyfogle was alittle odd as Breyfogle did a very large run of batman and his are was very nice.

Neil Adams is a shoe-in, but I'd bet that for a lot of people (don't have to be comic fans/readers) Sprang drew the definitive Batman. His style inspired the TV show + he gave us the shocked-Robin-in-the-corner headbang.gif

Most of the credit due to Marshall Rogers should be given to Terry Austin instead. His inking is what really made Rogers stand out. Just look at the 80's Silver Surfer series if you want proof that Rogers wasn't all that.