• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who are the greatest Batman artists of all time? (i.e. Marshall Rogers)

Who is the greatest Batman artist of all time?  

276 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the greatest Batman artist of all time?

63 posts in this topic

Most of the credit due to Marshall Rogers should be given to Terry Austin instead. His inking is what really made Rogers stand out. Just look at the 80's Silver Surfer series if you want proof that Rogers wasn't all that.

So I've always thought Terry Austin brought a lot to the party with both Rogers and John Byrne. But I disagree with the "most of the credit" assessment. Yeah, the Rogers/Austin duo in Tec 471-476 was pretty sweet. When Giordano replaced Austin in 478-479, the result was almost too slick. And solo Rogers in #481 wasn't really slick enough for my taste. crazy.gif

But just because you don't care so much for 1980s Rogers (Fans always say "Your older stuff was better..." tongue.gif), that's no reason to denigrate what Rogers accomplished in 1977-79. frown.gif

But just because you don't care so much for 1980s Rogers (Fans always say "Your older stuff was better..." tongue.gif), that's no reason to denigrate what Rogers accomplished in 1977-79. frown.gif

Out of respect for the man, I didn't post my comments in the Marshall Rogers RIP thread.

Also, my opinion is denigration of the man? My point is that without Austin's inks on those Detectives, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.

Until I saw his Surfer work, I too was of the opinion that Rogers was one of the best. Now I realize it was the inking of another strengthening Rogers' pencils.

No denigration involved, just my opinion.

The discussion should be that Rogers/Austin was one of the best artistic teams ever. I would agree with that, but I'll still give more of the credit to Austin. Maybe "most" was the wrong word to use.

Yes Mazzuchelli's year one was great but a 4 issue ark would hardly qualify you to be on the list.

Then does Miller count?

He only wrote arguably the greatest story in the history of the medium. confused-smiley-013.gif

Out of respect for the man, I didn't post my comments in the Marshall Rogers RIP thread.

Also, my opinion is denigration of the man? My point is that without Austin's inks on those Detectives, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.

Until I saw his Surfer work, I too was of the opinion that Rogers was one of the best. Now I realize it was the inking of another strengthening Rogers' pencils.

No denigration involved, just my opinion.

The discussion should be that Rogers/Austin was one of the best artistic teams ever. I would agree with that, but I'll still give more of the credit to Austin. Maybe "most" was the wrong word to use.

I have to say that I agree with you alot on this. I really admire the Rogers/Austin 'Tec run, but once Rogers was inked by someone else the quality dipped in my opinion. To clarify what Austin brought to the team you only need to look at John Byrne's art. With Austin his art was wonderful to look at. Byrne inking his own work was......well....not. Night and day in comparing the two. This is not a slap against Rogers, his stuff just wasn't as sharp when he wasn't inked by Austin. With that said, Rogers/Austin are one of the best Batman artists ever as I consider it necessary to include them both to be considered great.

Neal Adams is the greatest though. And I love Jim Aparo. His Batman was second only to Adams in my opinion. Mazzuchelli would be my third choice. Even though he didn't do a whole lot with the character I always liked the way Alan Davis drew Batman. Also, Brian Bolland was pretty good. tongue.gif

Scott

P.S.: I can't believe that anyone would consider Jim Aparo.

Take a look at Detective 438.

Or Brave + Bolds between # 100 - 150 (the Joker cover to #111 rocks!). Aparo is way better than Breyfogle.

Glad some others stepped up for Aparo.....I loved his work on Batman and he is one of my favorite artists for any genre. Just check out his Phantom Stranger and Spectre books.....wonderful stuff. cloud9.gif

Scott

IMHO, I would put Adams at the top.

Marshall Rogers right behind him......

And the Rogers/Austin run is one of my favorite runs of all time..... Rogers drew one of the most sinister looking Jokers EVER (check out Detective #475, page 10, first panel......creepy !!!)

No love for Kelly Jones....?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe not the "greatest" Batman artist of all time, but certainly worthy of a mention ......?......

thumbsup2.gif

Bump