• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why has America become such a PACKRAT nation?

79 posts in this topic

Viewing the Levine Collection Video makes you realize just how much of a PACKRAT mentality nation America has become. What a nightmare stack of paper products. But he's just serving the public because everyone saves everything these days.

Why is this?

There was a time when junk got thrown out, that is why some stuff is genuinely rare today. Now everything is saved by almost everyone, nothing from today will ever be rare in the future. Why did this change?

Is it because people see the high prices for vintage material and don't want to risk throwing stuff away because it might be worth something one day?

Is it because Anericans have so much income now (as opposed to pre-1945) that they feel the need to spend it on collectables?

Is it because society now accepts people who save useless junk and call them collectors whereas in the past they would just be called weirdos?

Are other nations like this to this extent?

And the Levine collection is all paper, an item that stacks and stores easily. Can you imagine how much bulkier the collection would be if he had glass items instead of paper items?

He also owns a warehouse jammed with toys.

But to answer your question - the materialistic nature of capitalism?

Y'know, he with the most toys at the end, wins?

I think you may have nailed it when you asked, "Is it because people see the high prices for vintage material and don't want to risk throwing stuff away because it might be worth something one day?"

But to answer your question - the materialistic nature of capitalism?

Y'know, he with the most toys at the ends, wins?

I wouldn't presume this is only a phenomena in the USA.

I think as any culture matures and the basic needs of the people are met (food, shelter, etc.), the tendency is for "higher psychological" needs to come into play. I'd guess that accumulating collectibles would fall into this category and I'm confident there are just as many packrats proportionately in places like England, France, Germany, etc.

I have moved 4 times in 10 years. I have thrown out so much stuff that I pack ratted. I now have 2 filing cabinets of comics and just a plastic tub of old letters, ticket stubs, etc. Sentimental stuff.

It is hard to keep moving it, that is why I pared down.

I have to say that after viewing the Levine video, it has made me seriously think about all of the stuff I am saving and whether it is time for it to go. I don't have anywhere near as many comics as alot of you, but 4500 is still more than I need. Therefore, in order to simplify my life and free up alot of much needed space, I am going to begin culling my baseball cards, Star Wars toys, action figures, old newspapers, hardback books, and last but not least, my comics. I have already tried to start doing this with my comics but there are still a ton that need to go. I should only keep the items that mean the most to me and save my family the trouble of having to dispense of a mountain of stuff when I am gone. Maybe it was the fact that I turned 40 this month that started my thinking in this direction. I'm not sure, but I feel kind of excited about the prospect of cutting some ties and simplifying my life a little. I'm not saying that I won't continue to collect comics, but instead of buying 10 books at 20 dollars apiece, I will probably start buying one nice want list book for 200. Quality over quantity is my new motto from now on.

Scott

I think you may have nailed it when you asked, "Is it because people see the high prices for vintage material and don't want to risk throwing stuff away because it might be worth something one day?"

Then there are the numerous times when I've been in a book/comic shop and someone walks in with a small stack of comics and asks if they are worth anything. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

And then proceeds to tell the dealer all of the junk they had to throw out of their grandfather's house... pulp magazines, other comics, toys, etc. tonofbricks.gif

I think the birth of eBay needs to be sighted as a motivator for becoming

a packrat as well...

Before eBay it was really difficult to not only find out what an item could sell for

but yard sales and flea markets were the only way to really liquidate the product.

And if you have seen the homely folks that hang out at flea markets and the weirdos

that love to arrive hours before your yard sale opens you would know that clutter

based on future online selling has become alot more desired/accepted than before.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Watching that Levine Collection video my first thought was "he better hurry". Right or wrong I keep thinking the phenomenon of packratting printed Pop Culture is changing rapidly due to the internet.

It wasn't that long ago a collector might not know what an issue looked like, having never seen one, unless they went to a convention or ordered one from a mail order list. Today you can quickly research most issues down to detail minutiae over the net. Enjoy everything about an issue, except physically hold it, from a chair.

Say I woke up this morning and decided I was a Fantastic Four fan, watched the movie or something. By the evening I could have every back issue, maybe every appearance, in a digital format. No pack-ratting required.

Plus, today seems like we're in an era of The Caveat collecting, created scarcity to feed-the-need.

An issue may not be scarce, but it's VERY rare in Insert Caveat Here: (a condition requirement, a signature requirement, a holder with lable requirement, a variant requirement, a pedigree requirement, etc.).

Seeing that video makes me want to stop collecting completely. Just finding space for and properly storing what I have is more than I can handle at times.

TV Guides? The worlds worst collectible?

Seeing that video makes me want to stop collecting completely. Just finding space for and properly storing what I have is more than I can handle at times.

TV Guides? The worlds worst collectible?

Don't know if they are the worst collectible, he seems to be doing okay with this batch,

http://stores.ebay.com/Bakertowne-Rariti...1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

I only wish I had the resources to acumulate stuff like Phil. Looks like he enjoyed doing what he did, more power to him. Maybe by the time I'm 60 I can create a little room to put up my favorite comics, my Aurora model kits and other things that will always make me nostalgic and remind me of the what I enjoyed in life, then when I move from this earth my family can toss it all in the dumpster! insane.gif

Hey, UK is pretty bad too. What's the name of that show where 2 families compete to sell more junk out of there attics??????

I think it boils down to the average American has more square feet than most. We have to fill it with something. Why not junk confused-smiley-013.gif

Reading this thread reminded me of the Ebay Mom.

Ebay Mom

Holy cow. 893whatthe.gif

The refrigerator comment was funny. 27_laughing.gif

"The magnet collection. At least this is kind of normal, in things to collect. I probably should have taken a picture of the inside of the refridgerator, but you can imagine it. It looks just like the rest of the house, but with food."

ebay0023.jpg

I have been clearing out all my storage for the past year... If I cant sell it, I donate it or throw it away..

Pack Rat mentality is horrible.. Just watch that show CLEAN SWEEP and you will see..

Even in collecting.. I have seen a ton of nice toy collections that are displayed HORRIBLE.. CRAMMED into places because of hoarding.. Instead of having a nice display with less items.. Rooms end up looking like 8 year old play rooms or toy stores, instead of an adults hobby room...

I am going to making a nice donation to toys for tots next week with most of the toys that I no longer want. figure I will get the tax write off and the stuff outta my house and they get some new toys...cant wait to get that stuff outta my house...

Its a sickness.. Really..

I used to be OCD and I took some meds and changed my life around and now Its 90% gone..

Really only comes back a little if I am REALLY worn out, or depressed about something...

Its not just the collecting thats an issue.. Most of these people are in HUGE debt... Maxed out credit cards, house refinances.. This lady could loose everything she has...

All collectors have OCD in some form or another I think.. Or we wouldnt collect anything..

For me, my packratness was handed down to me. My mother and grandparents went through the depression and we were always poor. So you never, ever got rid of anything. If it was broken you could use parts from that to fix something else, so you held onto everything.