• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calling All Girls 1 CGC 9.0 highest graded copy; Gerber White Space copy

10 posts in this topic

I've just received my CGC graded Calling All Girls 1, which was used to make the Gerber White Space sticker that appeared in Comic Book Marketplace a few years back (my name is listed with the sticker as the contributor of the scan). This copy has been in my collection for the past six years and I've decided to sell it. It's beautiful and the only problem with it are two grease pencil markings inside the book (made by the retailer that sold it back in 1941).

Calling All Girls 1 is a rare book and I've not seen but one other copy for sale.

It's not made it onto the CGC census yet, but it's the highest graded copy. There's only one other that's been graded and it's an 8.0. Calling All Girls 1 is a Gerber 6, but Ernie Gerber wasn't able to find one for the Photojournal, so he placed a white space where it was supposed to go.

I'm wanting to sell it for $600.

Please contact me at mbrowning@loganbanner.com if you're interested.

Thanks,

Mike Browning

Here's the scan of Calling All Girls 1 CGC 9.0, the Gerber White Space sticker copy.

Any spots or dots are from the scanner. This comic looks beautiful. The scratch at the bottom of the image is a light mark on the slab and not the comic.

Mike B. 1723432-CallingAllGirls.jpg

1723432-CallingAllGirls.jpg.714397020f89414fda7693f56e2fa7d0.jpg

And I'm really not sure why the comic didn't receive a higher "qualified" grade since the ONLY blemish on this beautiful book are the two grease pencil marks inside.

Mike B.

Page quality? Small dogears? Something more than just the grease pencil surely. Call them and get the notes.

I've just received my CGC graded Calling All Girls 1, which was used to make the Gerber White Space sticker that appeared in Comic Book Marketplace a few years back (my name is listed with the sticker as the contributor of the scan). This copy has been in my collection for the past six years and I've decided to sell it. It's beautiful and the only problem with it are two grease pencil markings inside the book (made by the retailer that sold it back in 1941).

Calling All Girls 1 is a rare book and I've not seen but one other copy for sale.

It's not made it onto the CGC census yet, but it's the highest graded copy. There's only one other that's been graded and it's an 8.0. Calling All Girls 1 is a Gerber 6, but Ernie Gerber wasn't able to find one for the Photojournal, so he placed a white space where it was supposed to go.

I'm wanting to sell it for $600.

Please contact me at mbrowning@loganbanner.com if you're interested.

Thanks,

Mike Browning

Mike,

That's pretty impressive! 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

-David

I did call them and spoke with a grader who said that the grease pencil marks did affect the overall grade and that and some other, small pencil marks brought the grade to 9.0. I didn't totally understand the "qualified" in contrast to the "universal" labels, so that was my fault.

Mike B.

For desirability I would think a blue label beats a green hands down even if you would've gotten a grade .2 better as a Qualified book. To me (and maybe I'm alone here) I find GLOD far worse than PLOD even though it's just a perception issue.

In the end though it just makes me wish I had $600 to spare.