• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Popped staple...well only 1/2 of the paper....

7 posts in this topic

If you have a NM range book, and one of staples has paper that is popped (but not completely), how does that affect the grade? Basically the cover is still held on tight but the paper has begun to pop from the top portion of the staple (possibly being too tight from production). If it matters,the book is a late SA book from about 1968.

Any advice is appreciated.

Roy.

If you have a NM range book, and one of staples has paper that is popped (but not completely), how does that affect the grade? Basically the cover is still held on tight but the paper has begun to pop from the top portion of the staple (possibly being too tight from production). If it matters,the book is a late SA book from about 1968.

Any advice is appreciated.

Roy.

I had a JIM #83 offered to me with that problem. CGC graded it a 9.0. It was partially detached from the back cover only according to the grading notes. It was very difficult to spot thru the holder. It would've graded 9.4 otherwise.

So your copy would grade 8.5 to 9.0 depending on the severity of the pop.

Good to know... thanks Brent.

I have a number of books that suffer from this (production flaw?) where the staple has popped through on one side but it still holding tight on the other side of the staple.

I presume this is a result of the staple being shot through too hard and at a slight angle. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Could someone scan an example please, I'm having a hard time picturing it. frown.gif

I can't do it because it's along the spine edge and wouldn't be clear without splaying the book wide open.

Picture this...

The paper is cleanly cut vertically along the right side of the staple.

The paper is still intact along the left side of the staple and a bit of cover is still firmly tucked underneath the staple itself.

It may lay very flat, so it's a difficult flaw to spot unless you open the cover widely and see a bit of daylight coming though. blush.gif I have a Conan #8 NMish that I had for years before I realized it had this flaw. It was invisible when the cover was closed.