• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sale pending @ 85k

136 posts in this topic

Scott, if I am not mistaken. He was using your asm example(among others) as a compliment, not an insult.

His point was(as I read it) all bets are off when people buy books. And for people to judge others buying habits, or what was paid by somebody for acertain book is pure folly.

Ze-

btw, how was your trip?

You are correct in your reading.

I think it's great that a silver age spider-man sells for 5500. But if anybody out there thinks that silver age spideys can go for that money while Action 1 somehow stands still so that you can count on trading a dozen midrun spideys for an Action 1... they need to rethink.

Again - no one said that. You've just imagined it.

Somebody pays 76X guide for a Spider-man 86, or 13K for Reform School Girl, 18K for Detective 35, and they're "lucky" or a "savvy collector."

But if they pay merely double guide for the most famous and important book of all

it's all good Bluechip.....meaning it's all good for all of us. Whether you are talking about FFB's record price Spidey sale, or my record price Reform School Girl! sale, or this Action #1 record price in grade? sale, this is all a sign of a very healthy, robust comic book market. The news reports about our industry are almost all focused on new issue sales being down....I don't think I have ever heard a report about the back issue market we all deal in. Kids have replaced reading with video games, but it's grown-ups like us who have replaced investing in Wall Street with investing in DC comics, and it is paying off big time. You don't see Batman being convicted of reporting false earnings to artificially inflate his own stock value.

Everytime a new record price is achieved, we alll have a little boost to our own collections, big or small. It proves that we are smart, and know what we are doing, and comics are not just a hobby for geeks with pocket protectors and Superman pillow cases, but it is a serious and intense collectibles market with plenty of room to expand and grow and prosper. It always puzzled me a little that a US coin can and did sell for $7 million or $8 million ( can't rememeber which ),. a Honus Wagner baseball card sold for $2.3 million ( from memory ), but the most expensive comic book ever sold was $500,000? ( again from memory ). Well if baseball cards and coins can be worth million and millions, I believe it is only matter of time before Action #1 and Detective #27 join the multi-million dollar collectibles club (probably won't be a 2.0, but you get the idea).

I hope the next Actioin #1 2.0 sells $125,000.....not because I want to be further priced out of the market for the key of all keys, but I'm convinced it makes my Tec 35 that much more special and desirable, in a trickle down sort of way.Congrats to both the buyers and sellers for the record prices being set on all comic books....they both did great.

Steve M

It always puzzled me a little that a US coin can and did sell for $7 million or $8 million ( can't rememeber which ),. a Honus Wagner baseball card sold for $2.3 million ( from memory ), but the most expensive comic book ever sold was $500,000? ( again from memory ). Well if baseball cards and coins can be worth million and millions, I believe it is only matter of time before Action #1 and Detective #27 join the multi-million dollar collectibles club (probably won't be a 2.0, but you get the idea).

The big difference is that the owner of the finest Action #1 and Detective #27 hasn't been willing to sell them, whereas the various owners of the finest Honus Wagner over the years have been very happy to flip it.

Somebody pays 76X guide for a Spider-man 86, or 13K for Reform School Girl, 18K for Detective 35, and they're "lucky" or a "savvy collector."

But if they pay merely double guide for the most famous and important book of all

it's all good Bluechip.....meaning it's all good for all of us. Whether you are talking about FFB's record price Spidey sale, or my record price Reform School Girl! sale, or this Action #1 record price in grade? sale, this is all a sign of a very healthy, robust comic book market. The news reports about our industry are almost all focused on new issue sales being down....I don't think I have ever heard a report about the back issue market we all deal in. Kids have replaced reading with video games, but it's grown-ups like us who have replaced investing in Wall Street with investing in DC comics, and it is paying off big time. You don't see Batman being convicted of reporting false earnings to artificially inflate his own stock value.

Thats what Im hoping owning a 6.5 Action #1.

Everytime a new record price is achieved, we alll have a little boost to our own collections, big or small. It proves that we are smart, and know what we are doing, and comics are not just a hobby for geeks with pocket protectors and Superman pillow cases, but it is a serious and intense collectibles market with plenty of room to expand and grow and prosper. It always puzzled me a little that a US coin can and did sell for $7 million or $8 million ( can't rememeber which ),. a Honus Wagner baseball card sold for $2.3 million ( from memory ), but the most expensive comic book ever sold was $500,000? ( again from memory ). Well if baseball cards and coins can be worth million and millions, I believe it is only matter of time before Action #1 and Detective #27 join the multi-million dollar collectibles club (probably won't be a 2.0, but you get the idea).

I hope the next Actioin #1 2.0 sells $125,000.....not because I want to be further priced out of the market for the key of all keys, but I'm convinced it makes my Tec 35 that much more special and desirable, in a trickle down sort of way.Congrats to both the buyers and sellers for the record prices being set on all comic books....they both did great.

Steve M

Thats what im hoping for by owning a 6.5 copy of Action # 1.

I'll give you $12 for it, right now, no questions asked!

rick

Aren't there quite a few zero's missing from that offer. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifstooges.gif

people are calling the buyer of the Action #1 crazy just like they implied the buyer of the ASM 86 was crazy. Which is, of course, easy for someone to say when they don't own the book in question -- and is especially easy to say when the person saying it isn't in a position to buy either book.

Some people just can't congratulate a buyer on getting a book he really wanted unless he got it for a huge discount. It's silly, because whether you're paying $100K, $85K, or $2K for Action #1, you're still buying a used book that originally sold for a dime. Any "extra" value is largely illusory when you get right down to it, because when you view it objectively, it's 64 pages of newsprint with sophomoric writing and fairly low grade art. To the extent it is worth more than cover price, that is a function of people wanting to own a copy of that book because of what the cultural significance means to them personally. And if the well-heeled demand t own a piece of that cultural history outstrips the supply, then all that matters is whether the buyer is willing to pay the amount the seller needs in order to let the book go. You can quote double guide all day long, but since Bob Overstreet doesn't have a supply of Action #1s available for Guide price, who is to say that this metric is more relevant than the fact that the book sold for 850,000X cover price? It's worth whatever the amount is where a willing buyer and willing seller reach a deal.

Generally, I agree - once someone is willing to pay more than a few dollars for a comic book - they've already entered a realm that most people would consider "crazy" - unless it was perceived that there was an investment upside to the purchase, and in the case of any "record" price paid for a book, the investment potential is an unknown in the short run or sometimes even the longer run if the combination of grade and comic is rare. That said - when a record price is achieved for any book - it's understandable that many in hobby are going to have a "woah" reaction, and speculate on the investment side of the sale.

So congrats to the buyer and seller. It's a great looking 2.0. IMO, it presents better than the infamous CGC 2.5 from the Five O'Clock Shadow pedigree (which I also wouldn't kick out of bed for eating crackers).

It not only presents better - it is better.

rick

Aren't there quite a few zero's missing from that offer. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifstooges.gif

nope, no zeroes...since I bought the Clink copy for $85K, what do I need with another one confused-smiley-013.gif?

rick

rick

nope, no zeroes...since I bought the Clink copy for $85K, what do I need with another one confused-smiley-013.gif?

rick

Really??? 893whatthe.gif

If so, congrats!!!!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

yay.gifcloud9.gifyay.gifcloud9.gifyay.gifcloud9.gifyay.gif

but it's grown-ups like us who have replaced investing in Wall Street with investing in DC comics, and it is paying off big time. You don't see Batman being convicted of reporting false earnings to artificially inflate his own stock value.

Each to their own but I'll stay with equities if you please. While I believe that collectables have their place in a portfolio I still have most of my assets in traditional investments (Stocks, bonds, real estate). In fact I've never paid more than 1 weeks of income for any one book. However, that's me. That's my comfort level. I recognize that others think differently. I always try to gauge the upside to an investment but I also look very carefully at the liquidity (how much of a haircut would I have to take on a sale if most were have difficult economic times)? I have no interest to move this thread towards the "are comics good investments"? I'm sure the WSJ and some other publications will run the story near the top of the cycle. I can say with certainty that If the prices paid for comics collapsed (without outside stimulus) it would have no discenable impact on the markets/economy. However, if stock prices collapsed it is doubtful that many would be looking to buy comics.

rick

rick

Rick,

That's great news at two levels.

#1, you get a great book you have been wanting (I feel a name change is in order!)

#2, hopefully you will be strapped for comic cash for a while giving use 2nd level buyers a chance for a change!

Congrats!

ok, since I have gotten 5PM's on it...surely you all know that

1) I have a $50K max on any single book...

2) Today is April 1...umm....april fools day!

figured I better come clean now, with my april fools joke, before my PM box overloads!

rick

figured I better come clean now, with my april fools joke, before my PM box overloads!

rick

Ok, then in that case, I bought it. cool.gif .........

...A guy can dream, can't he. cloud9.gif

rick

you got me you little %#*@!!! sumo.gifmakepoint.gif