• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sale pending @ 85k

136 posts in this topic

I have the same opinions and agree and feel the same exact way.

Answer. Yes, buy Cgc books. I WILL NOT buy a Big book raw. No way !

Yes, there's a Church copy of Boy Comics #17 just waiting for all of us to buy...........sitting all nice and snug in its 9.0 blue slab.

Wait a minute...........or was that a 4.0 blue label or a 7.5 blue label? 27_laughing.gif

Well said, Paul (as was your prior post btw). Passionate collectors like you are the bread and butter of the hobby, and your enthusiasm is contagious!

STEVE

Thanks Steve, I noticed some of my post was a little mumbled..but I am glad a few got the message.

The thing is, CGC or PGX is great and they do protect you to a degree, but an honest dealer who stands behind his/her product is just as good. When you buy a comic and there is a problem, the dealer should take care of you, end of story. I own my own business and I factor in the cost of dealing with problems, and also customers who are actually wrong, but I still give them the benifit. I deal in appraisals, purchase contracts, and financing, but its all the same. Take care of your customers, and they will take care of you. Short term gain, is never an option over long term business relationships.

The funny thing about business and people is this. You can treat 100 people perfect and they are completely satisfied, and usually won't tell anyone unless asked. Treat one wrong or be persieved as wrong, and they will tell a 100 people how much you suck! I learned this early in life, and I am glad I have because this little rule has made me much more money than it cost me.

Ok, I am stepping down off my Soap Box.

Paul

Well said, Paul (as was your prior post btw). Passionate collectors like you are the bread and butter of the hobby, and your enthusiasm is contagious!

STEVE

Thanks Steve, I noticed some of my post was a little mumbled..but I am glad a few got the message.

The thing is, CGC or PGX is great and they do protect you to a degree, but an honest dealer who stands behind his/her product is just as good. When you buy a comic and there is a problem, the dealer should take care of you, end of story. I own my own business and I factor in the cost of dealing with problems, and also customers who are actually wrong, but I still give them the benifit. I deal in appraisals, purchase contracts, and financing, but its all the same. Take care of your customers, and they will take care of you. Short term gain, is never an option over long term business relationships.

The funny thing about business and people is this. You can treat 100 people perfect and they are completely satisfied, and usually won't tell anyone unless asked. Treat one wrong or be persieved as wrong, and they will tell a 100 people how much you suck! I learned this early in life, and I am glad I have because this little rule has made me much more money than it cost me.

Ok, I am stepping down off my Soap Box.

Paul

One of the problems with this hobby used to be that it was so easy to get into the business side of it. Any one with a collection and a minimal amount of funding could start an account with any of a host of distributors. BOOM, your a comic dealer. So alot of people started shops, set up at shows, or built mail order businesses, because it was easier than getting a real job. Unfortunately, if there is no training, one doesn't learn the finer points of running a business. Like providing customer service and realizing the implications of not doing so.

Yes, there's a Church copy of Boy Comics #17 just waiting for all of us to buy...........sitting all nice and snug in its 9.0 blue slab.

Wait a minute...........or was that a 4.0 blue label or a 7.5 blue label? 27_laughing.gif

As in anything in life, there are always EXCEPTIONS and you are focusing your point on an exception.Even showing me 100 misgraded books dosnt support implying that Cgc is not reliable in grading. Focusing on the 50,000 books theve graded correctly is were the focus should be.There will always be human error in Anything.Cgc isnt perfect but they are sure as day the closet thing to it in this hobby. I would never buy a high end book not wasnt in a Cgc holder.I said high end.

As in anything in life, there are always EXCEPTIONS and you are focusing your point on an exception.Even showing me 100 misgraded books dosnt support implying that Cgc is not reliable in grading. Focusing on the 50,000 books theve graded correctly is were the focus should be.There will always be human error in Anything.Cgc isnt perfect but they are sure as day the closet thing to it in this hobby. I would never buy a high end book not wasnt in a Cgc holder.I said high end.

CGC seems more and more to be so much about high grade than it's not so useful in high end books which do not exist in any sort of numbers in high grade. Unless you're obsessed with restoration or worried the book is somehow counterfeit or something, I can't see the point in slabbing a low grade or restored high end book, and considering how undervvalued they are in the guide, I would never pass up a low grade high end book (major key (tec 27, action 1, marvel 1, etc.) just because it wasn't in a slab.

If it's restored I'd prefer it not to be in a slab so I can actually detemrine what was done to it.

And in the really low grades there is way too little distinction made between books. Anything graded below 2.0 could be really desirable or just as easily be a a complete piece of junk.; but the label would rate them equally.

Like you touched on, we have seen that one buyer coming in can actually move this market up - Parrino was your example and it is a good one. If and when (your "if", my "when") comic books as investments are noticed by more high net worth individuals, there will be multiple buyers coming in to buy the best stuff, with spending money like Parrino had, and creating a price floor that Parrino *didn't* have. Jay recognized the potential but for a variety of reasons, and unfortunately from my view, didn't stick around long enough to see it actualized.

Wasn't his departure partly because he got tired of being reamed by dealers?

That was part of it.

Like you touched on, we have seen that one buyer coming in can actually move this market up - Parrino was your example and it is a good one. If and when (your "if", my "when") comic books as investments are noticed by more high net worth individuals, there will be multiple buyers coming in to buy the best stuff, with spending money like Parrino had, and creating a price floor that Parrino *didn't* have. Jay recognized the potential but for a variety of reasons, and unfortunately from my view, didn't stick around long enough to see it actualized.

Wasn't his departure partly because he got tired of being reamed by dealers?

That was part of it.

That's really too bad. I, too, think he would have done just fine if he had simply hung in there for a longer period of time.

Another example that it does matter who you do business with, and simply because someone may have one, two, or even several "positive", smooth transactions at a distance with a particular dealer doesn't mean a whole lot of beans. Before anyone spends $$$$$, or especially before anyone gives a dealer $$$$ to go buy books for them, you really need to do your homework. Or have a really good legal contract in place! 27_laughing.gif

But seriously, it's too bad that some dealers look upon transactions on a singular level, i.e., as if each is the last one, rather than try to do right by the customer and develop a more long term relationship that benefits both parties. There is more than enough business out there for everyone.

people take issue with whatever they can get their hands on. Or whatever you leave around. Like that guy on 60 Minutes last night who works for Big Business by exploiting chinks in the "do-gooders" statements and efforts.... blowing them out of proportion and derailing the discussion from the issues...

That's really too bad. I, too, think he would have done just fine if he had simply hung in there for a longer period of time.

I'm sure he would have done very well if he hung in with his inventory for a bit longer. If nothing else the inlationary bias helps to push prices higher. Any gold I bought in the last few years has done exceedingly well. I suspect we are seeing only the beginning of the price increases. My best "stuff" is under lock and key at the HSBC bank. The condition hasn't changed since the day I purchased the items. My only complaint is that the graded stuff takes up so much room. I'm looking for a tripling in price over the next 5-10 years so I'm not letting anything go at today's prices. Gold is golden.

Wait a minute........We are talking about bullion on this site?

OOPS.... sorry wrong Thread. Please ignore.

Like that guy on 60 Minutes last night who works for Big Business by exploiting chinks in the "do-gooders" statements and efforts.... blowing them out of proportion and derailing the discussion from the issues...

Another proud graduate of the Joe_Collector School of Communication, no doubt. thumbsup2.gif

Thought better of my post and deleted it. Sorry!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif