• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New CGC holder?

93 posts in this topic

But, yes... it really was about the Hulk...

I knew it!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

No pimpy...I'm not flaunting the 9.8 in this example, just the 8.5 (that once was a 9.6)!

Because if this group of folks was fooled, on a book that had been posted just days earlier, and KNOWING there was something amiss... I don't want to think about what the scammers will do to unsuspecting buyers...

Hey, I want some stars. I told you my CGC VF/NM copy looked better than this book. Now I gotta pull it out of the shipping box, since I was already to resubmit. blush.gif

The funny thing is that you are saying that people can change the grade in a picture. What's the difference between them selling you a 9.0 (on eBay) based on a scan, and then shipping a 7.0?

In either case they misrepresent the item, and obviously you will send it back.

At least if they minupulated the grade, I can see the scan and say the book looks overgraded and pass. If they just put up the wrong scan, there's no way to know until the book arrives.

I WANT MY STARS!!!!!!! laugh.gif

Okay, you had to point out why you were concerned about the new label...but to be fair, I feel the new look for their label screams ugly, and yes...from my first glance at the label in a different thread, much easier to forge.

This could end up hurting (or at least tarnishing a bit of their shine) CGC, especially if the scammers end up having a field day spoofing CGC labels...I think they will probably announce (or do it without letting people know, why let the scammers know ahead of time that there will be another obstacle to overcome) some changes to the label fairly soon (assuming they will now be listing more info on the label, such as date stamps---assuming the policy of not listing dates stamps anymore was over-turned by the change in the new label, I can now see the next big controversy being their refusal to assign a letter grade to the comic).

I thought the old labels were just dandy (even liked the blue color of their universal grade label).

Regards

Christopher H

I can't believe this is even an issue.

If someone is going to alter the scan, they are going to alter the scan NO MATTER WHICH label is used.

"It's easier".. IT'S NOT EASIER!

Get a grip!

Scammers are scammers. A label is not going to stop them either way.

There are a LOT of STUPID people on the internet that can't see the forrest for the trees.

We see examples posted in the forums every day.

As long as there are people that will bid $25,000 on an Action Comics #1 with an illiterate description, zero feedback seller, and no scan, there is absolutely nothing that a new label is going to hurt.

For the life of me, I can't even imagine why this lame theory was even brought up.

And there go the ducks...quack quack...following the momma duck.

The only thing I don't like about the new label is that they took away the written grade.

I can't stand this new label and I will buy shying away from it when buying books on ebay. They now give LESS information because they don't mention the grade (like NM), and instead just put the number on there. So the grade really doesn't exist now besides the number grade. I don't like this at all, although I bet it will help NM- 9.2s in the long run.

No offense.....but how does that make any sense?

You're going to shy away from it (the new label) when buying books on eBay???? Is the label the important part and the book just secondary?

The grade doesn't really exist now besides the number grade???? How is that true? A 9.4 is still going to be a NM regardless of whether they put those letters on the label or not.

The grade doesn't really exist now besides the number grade???? How is that true? A 9.4 is still going to be a NM regardless of whether they put those letters on the label or not.

Psychbugster! You wound and bleed me with this comment. You ignore my full-on-robot rant about the missing letters (see page 1 near bottom of this thread) to take on another. I feel really bad about this. I, who under the guide of the semi-banned SkewerOnAStick created a dung beetle coinee tale for you. I weep for my lot and for the lot of all who are treated in such a cavalier manner.

PS - I DESPISE the lack of "letters" on the new labels. This is NOT THX1138!

Psychbugster! You wound and bleed me with this comment. You ignore my full-on-robot rant about the missing letters (see page 1 near bottom of this thread) to take on another. I feel really bad about this. I, who under the guide of the semi-banned SkewerOnAStick created a dung beetle coinee tale for you. I weep for my lot and for the lot of all who are treated in such a cavalier manner.

PS - I DESPISE the lack of "letters" on the new labels. This is NOT THX1138!

Ahhh......you misunderstand my intentions, Pov.

Personally, I don't like the new label either.......and I'd much rather have the letter grade remain on it as well.

I was just questioning the logic behind the statements. He's going to shy away from books he wants because he doesn't like the label??? Sorry.....that just doesn't make much sense to me.

And the grade really doesn't exist now besides the number grade??? That doesn't make much sense to me either. A 9.4 is still going to be a near mint book....regardless of whether it's noted that way on the label or not.

No offense.....but how does that make any sense?

You're going to shy away from it (the new label) when buying books on eBay???? Is the label the important part and the book just secondary?

No, the book is the important part and the label is secondary. But the label is still a factor in the appearance of a slabbed book. It's the same reason that many people shy away from the old brown modern labels and prefer the blue ones.

And a 9.4 is going to be a 9.4 and not "NM" unless you decide to call it that. You don't understand that if they stop using the letter grades then they will cease to exist over time for many people.

The main drawback of the new label is that it just looks gaudy and not classy like the old one.

No, the book is the important part and the label is secondary. But the label is still a factor in the appearance of a slabbed book. It's the same reason that many people shy away from the old brown modern labels and prefer the blue ones.

True, I prefer the blue label over the old red "modern" label......but I certainly wouldn't pass on a book that I wanted just because of the different label.

And a 9.4 is going to be a 9.4 and not "NM" unless you decide to call it that. You don't understand that if they stop using the letter grades then they will cease to exist over time for many people.

Your crediting CGC with far more power than they actually have and you're vague with your "over time" statement. These letter grades aren't going to disappear anytime soon for most people just because CGC drops them from their label.

My point is that it doesn't matter what you call it. A rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet. You could call a NM book a "spitwad"......but it would still be a near mint book. Do that many people collect labels and letters in here? I think I'll just stick to collecting nice comics instead. confused-smiley-013.gif

The main drawback of the new label is that it just looks gaudy and not classy like the old one.

I also prefer the old label, but I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over it.

On a slightly positive note......if CGC continues to modify their labels every few years......you'll be able to tell if a book is seriously overdue to be reslabbed.

I think the old label was a desktop-published Excel-generated mess! The new one is much cleaner in design. But to me, the grade is now way too BIG instead of way too small, and should still have the letter grade with it since we all use the terms 'NM, VF' etc.

The new one is much cleaner in design. But to me, the grade is now way too BIG instead of way too small, and should still have the letter grade with it since we all use the terms 'NM, VF' etc.

Well said. The biggest problem with the new label is the removal of the letter grade. Another move away from collectors and over to investors/speculators/flippers. frown.gif