• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New CGC holder?

93 posts in this topic

Well said. The biggest problem with the new label is the removal of the letter grade. Another move away from collectors and over to investors/speculators/flippers. frown.gif

From a more positive perspective, I think of it as moving more towards science (numbers) and away from art (words), which is something we need in grading--although moreso in the way we come up with grades than the way we describe them. I agree with some of the others, though, the driving force behind it was probably to get rid of the "Minus" stigma attached to NM-, VF-, etc, as well as the "split grade" controversy.

From a more positive perspective, I think of it as moving more towards science (numbers) and away from art (words), which is something we need in grading

Thats true to a point, but why can't the words still remain under the number in a smaller font?

For me, any information that is being REMOVED from the label is a bad thing. makepoint.gif

When I first saw the labels I didn't like them, but now I'm starting to like them. I think I even like them better then the old labels now. At first I hated that they didn't have the letter grade on the label, but after someone pointed out that it may give less of a stigma to the minus letter grades, I didn't mind it as much.

At first I hated that they didn't have the letter grade on the label, but after someone pointed out that it may give less of a stigma to the minus letter grades, I didn't mind it as much.

Who do you think stands to benefit from this though?

If you are a seller, great news, a collector new to the hobby?... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well said. The biggest problem with the new label is the removal of the letter grade. Another move away from collectors and over to investors/speculators/flippers. frown.gif

From a more positive perspective, I think of it as moving more towards science (numbers) and away from art (words), which is something we need in grading--although moreso in the way we come up with grades than the way we describe them. I agree with some of the others, though, the driving force behind it was probably to get rid of the "Minus" stigma attached to NM-, VF-, etc, as well as the "split grade" controversy.

I thought grading was "subjective"?!?!?!?!?! 893frustrated.gif Since when is SCIENCE subjective?!?!?!

I thought grading was "subjective"?!?!?!?!?! 893frustrated.gif Since when is SCIENCE subjective?!?!?!

The rules for how defects should deduct from overall grade are subjective--we make them up based upon aesthetics and our knowledge of comics. The science we need in grading is just a more rigid, standard set of grading guidelines with well-defined quantitative deductions for defects.

Grading is a mixture of art and science...the artistic side is subjective, but the process of cataloguing and quantifying grading rules is very scientific in nature. A comparable example is the science behind the Dewey Decimal System used by librarians...the way they came up with what the numbering system means is subjective, but the system for tracking the books is based on extremely simple mathematics.

Okay, my opinion on a CGC holder has NO authority at all, but I'm still gonna share it anyway...

I kinda like it from a grahphic-design point of view: the steel-blue fade is a nice visual effect and seems more modern.

I'll miss the inclusion of grade terms ("near-mint"), since I grew up with them and they're ergonomic to me.

All in all, my only major beef with anything CGC's doing, is that I'll insist until the day I die that pressing a book is NOT "restoration."

All in all, my only major beef with anything CGC's doing, is that I'll insist until the day I die that pressing a book is NOT "restoration."

I don't think this was ever an issue as someone from CGC posted in that thread about the Nic Cage MM that "lost" it's collection status and was regraded up to a 9.2 that pressing will not earn your book the purple label of death. It is the use of detectable chemical solutions for "cleaning" that will...