• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A reverse auction in the Marketplace for misc comics - will it work?

29 posts in this topic

I've got two short boxes full of misc comics. Grades are from G to minty. Values are all probably modest - no killer high grade BA, SA, or GA comics. A few are old enough to have cover prices of $.25 or so, most are probably in the range of 5-15 years old. I've started scanning all of them tonight and will probably finish them tomorrow.

As I've been scanning tonight I've done some Spider-Man, Detective, Question, Punisher, Ragman, Airboy, Sludge, Protectors, Predator, Silver Sable, Stormwatch, Night Force, Human Fly, Action, Adventures of Superman, etc, etc. Lots of variety. Marvel, DC, Eclipse, Top Cow, Image, Dark Horse and so on.

No real runs, just an issue here or there from a given title. These are comics that I upgraded, or that I bought

in a lot with others I wanted, or who knows what. But my goal is to just try to get rid of them, get

some cash for them, and maybe find them some happy homes.

What I'm wondering -- do you think I'd find enough interest from those in this forum in order to make this a success? confused-smiley-013.gif Has this been done around here before? What do you think of the first draft of the rules (below) that I've put together? Should I forget about it? I welcome any constructive comments or suggestions!

This will be a reverse auction. Prices start at a stated price and move lower.

At each price level, you may buy any comics that you'd like, first come - first served.

PM or post a message to reserve the comics you'd like. Forum date-stamps determine priority.

I require that some sales occur at each level before moving the price to the

next lower level.

Hopefully the price can move down one level about every day or so

and then the sale will be wrapped up within a week.

A certain sales level is required at each level before the price is decreased.

I'm figuring there would need to be a minimum of $20 in sales at each level, or at least

active participation from more than a couple buyers. This would be my defense against

getting a zillion PMs to "buy them all" when the price hits the ten-cent level after not selling

anything at the higher price levels.

The price levels will be as follows:

$3.00

$2.50

$2.00

$1.50

$1.00

$.50

$.25

$.10

Minimum overall purchase (before shipping) is $5.

In other words, you can't just wait until the end and buy only a couple of the 10-cent

comics in the last round. This just makes sense to avoid wasting

time to handle a tiny purchase. Also it serves as encouragement to buy some

comics you want at some of the higher levels so that you can just add on some

of the cheap bargains when the lower prices are available.

Comics are ungraded. What you see is what you get. No back cover scans have been made.

To sell the comics dirt cheap, I'm not able to spend time grading them. Nice high-res scans

of the front cover of EVERY comic will be readily available.

Conditions are all over the place from G to NM/M. If I do know

of a particular severe flaw like a non-trivial tear or stain on the back cover I'll try to mention it.

I will NOT knowingly sell an incomplete comic without full disclosure of such, but be

forewarned that I haven't checked these out because I haven't graded them.

Comics sell to the first buyer who sends a PM/post (based on forum timestamps) to clearly reserve it.

If your PM/post is a question or something about an issue but is not a clear-cut request

to reserve an issue, and then another PM/post arrives asking to reserve

that issue, the buyer who asked to have that issue reserved gets it. I don't want to

have any conflicts about who was first to reserve something, so pay attention to this rule.

Buyer pays all shipping costs for the USPS class of your choice.

I reserve all rights to change the rules as we go, pull any comics from the sale,

or even to cancel the sale if it is a flop or a disaster, as I see fit.

I don't currently intend or expect to do those kinds of things, so hopefully this is

just boilerplate CYA type stuff. I WANT to move these comics. But better to plan for the unexpected though.

I strongly believe, with a fair degree of certainty, that this idea will either work or it won't.

So what you are saying is that you are absolutely, positively 100% certain that there is a 50% chance that this idea will develop into something that might very well work? Or, are you saying that there is a 50% chance that this idea might never work ?

Your ideas intrigue me and I would be interested in subcribing to your news letter !

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

insane.gif

So what you are saying is that you are absolutely, positively 100% certain that there is a 50% chance that this idea will develop into something that might very well work? Or, are you saying that there is a 50% chance that this idea might never work ?

Your ideas intrigue me and I would be interested in subcribing to your news letter !

My good man, nothing could be further from the truth. Percentages never even entered into my analysis. I was simply trying to state that.......depending on how you measure success........I'm fairly certain that this idea might or might not be one.