• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A reverse auction in the Marketplace for misc comics - will it work?

29 posts in this topic

Why did you edit out my outrageous demands and nickname for you?

Because all of that "stuff" just detracts from the wit and wisdom that can be found in the mind of Homer Simpson. Therefore, I chose not to ackowledge any of it.

Besides, Lord help me, I'm just not that bright.

It is an intriquing idea. A clothing store in Boston called Filene's has a "bargain basement". They have prices tagged on their clothes and a date. You check the walls for the signs that say how many days from the date equals how much percent off. So an item put there a few days ago may be 10% off but an item sitting there a few weeks would be 50% off and more.

It is the antithesis of sniping - keeping your buy at the ready trying to decide if everyone else is gonna wait for the next rollback or should you BIN. I like it.

All of the potential auction comics are scanned. WHEW! Some real crapola in the pile (a couple nasty water stains, HD&L issue with magic marker drawings on the cover, etc). But also some pretty decent condition comics - Kazar, Howard the Duck, Doom Patrol, Witchblade, and so on, plus lots of middling stuff.

OK, here's how it would look.

Auction index

I could make the "large" scan much larger than it is -- of course it would be hard on those people using slower connections. (Only the first two comics have the large scan attached to the thumbnail so that you can see how it would look -- I need to set up a site with a Web host with adequate storage for me to do this.)

As another thought, I could even burn the actual scanned images onto a CD-R and mail them out to anyone really intending to buy some of these. The scanned images are roughly 1MB each. That would avoid any download bandwidth problems entirely!