• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ADVENTURE 247 ON COMICLINK

98 posts in this topic

Given the page quality, $20,000 seems like the right price. The book is very nice and IS NOT an 8.0

S

There you go talking down other people's books again. Don't think you would have done that if the book was on Metropolis. -Josh

You go get 'em Josh! thumbsup2.gif

Well....the book has been there a week or more...if it was a 20k book, someone would be putting in a 50% offer on the asking which would represent a good deal if it was accepted. I contend that it is a 10-12k book at most.

...so what HAVEN'T you got your eye on out of the veritable aladins cave of an offering!!!

Here are the HG SA DCs that will be in the auction which I'm NOT able to buy for legal and ethical reasons:

Atom 2............CGC 9.4

Atom 4............CGC 9.6 Massachusetts

Atom 5............CGC 9.4

Atom 7............CGC 9.4

Atom 10..........CGC 9.4 Sid's Luncheonette

Atom 13..........CGC 9.6

Atom 14..........CGC 9.4

Atom 15..........CGC 9.6

B&B 34...........CGC 9.4 Western Penn

B&B 35...........CGC 9.4 Western Penn

B&B 36...........CGC 9.4 Western Penn

B&B 43...........CGC 9.4 White Mountain

Flash 126........CGC 9.4

Showcase 34...CGC 9.4

Showcase 35...CGC 9.6 Western Penn

Showcase 36...CGC 9.6 Western Penn

Showcase 38...CGC 9.8

WOWW!!

Look at all those JLA's! I don't know if I'm going to be able to get them all?!

yeahok.gif

C'mon Tim, get it over with. You know I'll give them the best home possible... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Rick

Just talking about books that are considered key, how many high grade copies of Adventure #256, #271, #275, or even Legion covers #290 and #293 have any of us seen for sale? All these books are at least as hard to find as the #247, some much more so, though I'm talking CGC 9.4 or better copies for the #290 and #293.

My heart was broken when a 9.4 #290 appeared on CL recently and I thought I had won it but it turned out it had already been purchased even though the system accepted my offer. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif It went for a very reasonable price and whoever won it could flip it at a very nice profit if they wanted to (i.e., sell it to me!). grin.gif

The highest non-mega-key books on my want list right now are Adventure 267, 290 and 293 and Action 267 and 276 in 9.4 or above. Let's just say I'm not holding my breath.

The Adventures #290 and #293 both CGC 9.2 in the Heritage auction may represent the best available copies for some time to come. Whether it turns out that they are not high enough grade to attract big bids remains to be seen. If they were on ebay with a BIN of $600 each I think they would quickly sell.

I wonder what CGC 9.4 copies of #290 and #293 might now sell at, in the light of the Action #285 CGC 9.4 sale? Are both more desirable than the Action #285? They are certainly scarcer, but then the #285 has such an iconic cover and maybe broader appeal. It could well be that predicting future sale prices will become more and more uncertain, as frustrated collectors wait for the rare opportunity to buy. I personally think the Adventure #293 cover is the perfect example of an early SA Legion book, with its simple, clear yet intriguing images.

I have had my 290 for quite some time...don't even remember what I paid for it..but the 293 is another story. It is one of those books that is easy to find overall, but very difficult to get in higher grade. As a LSH completist, I found it very hard to find a nice copy. This isn't really unusual though as try to find nice copies of Adventure Comics 294 and 297....they have been eluding me as well.

adv293.jpg

I sometimes think people believe that if it has a 12 cent cover price it cannot be scarce....but with early SA DC, that is just not the case.

Legion appearances that *I think* are difficult to get in nice shape include (besides the 247 we have been discussing) are Adventure 267, Action 276, Superboy 86 (that purple cover is tough!) Adventure Comics 293 and 300. You will notice I left out Action 267.....maybe in 9.4 it's tough, but it seems plentiful around the VFish range. The Adventure Comics 282 and 290 don't seem particularly rare....unless again you are looking for 9.2 or above. If that is the case, most EVERY SA 10 cent and early 12 DC falls into that category. 27_laughing.gif

BTW...under rated TOUGH keys? Adventure Comics 300 all the way...classic cover, start of Legion series (You know Superboy OWNED that title for almost 200 issues till the LSH got their series...thats like what 16 years?) Adventure 300 in NICE shape is way undervalued and a tough book to get! shy.gif

Legion appearances that *I think* are difficult to get in nice shape include (besides the 247 we have been discussing) are Adventure 267, Action 276, Superboy 86 (that purple cover is tough!) Adventure Comics 293 and 300.

All very true.

You will notice I left out Action 267.....maybe in 9.4 it's tough, but it seems plentiful around the VFish range. The Adventure Comics 282 and 290 don't seem particularly rare....unless again you are looking for 9.2 or above. If that is the case, most EVERY SA 10 cent and early 12 DC falls into that category. 27_laughing.gif

Welcome to my world! frustrated.gif

BTW...under rated TOUGH keys? Adventure Comics 300 all the way...classic cover, start of Legion series (You know Superboy OWNED that title for almost 200 issues till the LSH got their series...thats like what 16 years?) Adventure 300 in NICE shape is way undervalued and a tough book to get! shy.gif

Very very true. I would pay ridiculous money for an Adventure 300 in 9.4 or above.

yeahok.gif

C'mon Tim, get it over with. You know I'll give them the best home possible... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Rick

Rick, you already have a better JLA collection than I do! confused-smiley-013.gif My JLA collection in the highly coveted first ten issues is abysmal. No, it's worse than absymal, it's downright pathetic. You wouldn't want to touch my books with a 10-foot pole.

I agree, Silver and tth2, Adventure Comics #300 is a totally scarce and frustrating book., and it has been an ongoing concern of mine for years and years. I have lost count how many issues I have bought, always looking for the copy I can be content with. Like you, tth2, I would really push the boat out for a CGC 9.4 copy. So far I have settled for a CGC 9.0 copy. It is a very nice example and for years was the only 9.0 on the census, before three more all arrived at once. I think the last 9.0 copy sold just under $2000 so who can guess what a 9.4 is really worth? Probably far more than I would pay so maybe this is the copy I will have to be happy with:

AdventureComics300a.jpg

I would like to see the Superboy #86 CGC 9.4 copy that's out there. Apart from that, there's nothing in the CGC line. I bought this copy a long time ago and I do believe it is in the NM range. Again, I can't really see myself replacing this in the forseeable future:

Superboy86.jpg

Interesting how Silver mentions the relative scarcity of Adventures over the #290s. You might expect all the issues in such a short run to have a similar level of scarcity, but this does not seem to be the case. This is how I see them, looking for raw copies:

#290 - Takes some finding in 8.0 or better

#291 - Uncommon

#292 - Takes some finding in 8.0 or better

#293 - Very hard to find, probably due to high demand

#294 - Takes some finding in 8.0 or better

#295 - Very scarce

#296 - By far the most common issue in the #290s

#297 - Very scarce

#298 - Takes some finding in 8.0 or better

#299 - Fairly common in mid-grades, considering it is a key book.

I think #291, #292 and #298 are fairly low demand issues. #297 is a real problem to find. I wonder if its homely, unexciting cover made it a poor seller when it was published?

AdventureComics296.jpg

#293 has always been very hard to find. I remember looking endlessly through back issue boxes to upgrade the few low grade copies I had. Finally, I bought a nice CGC 8.5 copy which I have since been able to upgrade.

AdventureComics293.jpg

AdventureComics293-1.jpg

Haven't stirred up anything recently when I saw this. 9.2 Mohawk at $35,000! Ignoring that the book looks more like an 8.0 than a 9.2, does anyone else think this to be insane? Of course, as a comic book collector and lover I wouldn't pay $35 for this book as I think it's simply a terrible comic and most of you know I can't stand the Legion until after around 1968 or so. As a collector/investor I recognize the book has some importance but can think of a LOT of other books I'd rather have than this at $35,000. I know there are some of you Legion fans out there but you pale in numbers to not just Marvel fans/investors but other DC titles. Just off the top of my head i'd rather have B&B 28,34 JLA 1,9, Showcase 4,8,17,34,57,60, Atom 1, Action 252 Adventure 210. Literally 100's of Gold or Marvels I'd rather invest in. So ok Legoin fans, tell me why I have my head wedged.

keith contarino

Hi Keith,

Looks like Robert Roter is cashing in and consigning all of his big books to Comiclink to see if any buyers (suckers) are willing to pony up. At those prices, fat chance. Mohawk Valley is one of the few pedigrees I would say doesn't measure up. The page quality of these books is horrible.

It's worth much more than $35, but at $35,000, Robert will be begging for offers for a long time.

Brent

What ever happened to Pacific Comic Exchange?

yeahok.gif

Rick

Rick, you already have a better JLA collection than I do! confused-smiley-013.gif My JLA collection in the highly coveted first ten issues is abysmal. No, it's worse than absymal, it's downright pathetic. You wouldn't want to touch my books with a 10-foot pole.

That's why I thought ahead and got me an 11-fot pole!

Seriously, you're right. In fact, let me help you out by taking that #5 9.4 off your hands. Then, you won't have to worry about the Top Ten? After that, when you're ready to unload all those 9.6's & 9.8's that nobody wants...I'll be here for you. My friend. angel.gif

Rick

Keith may be old but to me he will always be the original Rant and Raver.

Adventure 247 may suck to some but I have to say that the CGC 5.0 I have for sale is definitely a eye catching wall book to many. And that's important to me since when a collector stops, they look at other books. Most wish it was a 9.0 and this comment has come from multiple collectors.

Thanks Bob!! Decent copy of 247. I notice you don't havd a 210!!!