• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To all collectors trying to fill any runs: A question...

15 posts in this topic

Let's say you're trying to collect a VG run of Archie Comics 1-100 (Insert title of choice here).

Say there's about 10 copies that are Good to VG-...do you:

1. Average the entire run, and if there's enough copies to offset the lower grade books, then it's ok.

Example: Archie #4 is a Good + 2.5, but Archie #12 is a 5.5. The combined grades are 8.0/2 or 4.0, which fulfulls your requirement.

-OR-

2. Only collect issues VG or higher, and if quite a few of them are VF, then so be it. No book is allowed lower than VG, period.

Just curious to hear if you guys go by the average grade or bare minimum grade.

Thanks to all who reply! grin.gif

In general I don't collect books below a minimum grade. While there are definitely specific books that I'm looking for, there are so many that I wouldn't want to pass up a nice VF GA book that I wanted, because I had just bought five VG's.

Obvioulsy, if you had unlimited funds, it makes sense to buy the best book available (even if it was a Good) to complete a run, then upgraded when/if a nicer copy comes along.

As a note, I will collect GA in VF- or better and early Silver-Age in VF or better. Late Silver-Age and up need to be in VF/NM or better.

But as stated before, I don't buy the label. In other words, if a book was a nice FN+, with most of the wear on the back cover, and nice pages and gloss, I might consider it.

It would depend on the scarcity of the run and your budget but I would be happy with option #1 under most circumstances. Unless the run is bronze age to now-then I would go with #2.

Are you trying to put together a set of all MLJs? If so what are you missing?

Hi Shield,

I have a blend of your two approaches.

First, there is a threshold below which I won't go, but that threshold is pretty darn low: Basically Good- to Fair+ (no tape, no missing pages or clipped coupons, restapled cover ok, loose centerfold ok, minor writing on cover ok, no back cover ok, small-ish pieces missing from front cover ok). That minimum threshold is the same for Golden Age up to the present.

Second though, I do gradually increase my aspirations as books become more recent. Example, all the above defects are just fine for Golden Age, and except for rare cases I have no real desire to upgrade. For early Silver Age, I start to want everything in at least Good+. I have a restapled GL#2 with a coffee cup stain crazy.gif that I'm itching to upgrade. For books from 1964 on, I'm not really happy if they're in less than VG+. And for Bronze Age, Fine+ to Very Fine is the sweet spot. Am happy to have NM books, but feel no real desire (with perhaps a couple of exceptions) to upgrade a perfectly acceptable Fine+ copy.

So, I guess I'd describe my GA portion of the collection as a "Good" collection, my Silver Age as a "Very Good" collection, and my Bronze Age as "Fine or better."

It's amazing how much money one saves by being so forgiving of one's books! 27_laughing.gif

I will take pretty much any grade to fill in a run

The only things i do not accept are books with tape on cover/pages , writing anywhere on book, coverless comics and glue which has been used on spine or somewhere else

Most other things are fine

I now set standards for how low I'm willing to go on grade depending on the book's age and price. For moderns, I want VF/NM or better. For most golden age books, I'll go VG, but only if it has subjective eye appeal. For silver/atom age (i.e. ECs), I try to stick to fine or better.

That said, I can and will break the rules. I just bought a 1952 Cowgirl Romances in VG because I loved the cover and knew if I passed on it I'd never find the book again.

my standards seem to be on the lower end - gold-atom - a nice FR or G silver depends on price, anywhere from Fr on the keys to VG for regular issues. Bronze i tighten up to VF, although a nice fine will do on pricier books, and modern NM. I'd rather have more books to read in a run than a few nicer examples on the older stuff.....

It would depend on the scarcity of the run and your budget but I would be happy with option #1 under most circumstances. Unless the run is bronze age to now-then I would go with #2.

I have:

Black Hood 9,12,14,17

Blue Ribbon 8,13,14,16,17,20,22

Pep 1-11, 13-21, 23-65

Top-Notch 2,3,11,14,20,21,22,24,25,26,27 (plus a few more above this)

Hangman 2,3,5,6,7,8

Shield-Wizard 1

Zip 1,2,4,5,6,7,8,9,12,14,15,18,19,21-29,31-33,35,36,38,40,42,44,47

Archie 2-100

I've got around 90 MLJ titles to go out of the 229 Superhero titles. I laugh when I hear people say "I may accept one that's in only Fine +". Most of these don't exist above VG, period. Especially those early issues of Archie. So hard to find.

I have:

Black Hood 9,12,14,17

Blue Ribbon 8,13,14,16,17,20,22

Pep 1-11, 13-21, 23-65

Top-Notch 2,3,11,14,20,21,22,24,25,26,27 (plus a few more above this)

Hangman 2,3,5,6,7,8

Shield-Wizard 1

Zip 1,2,4,5,6,7,8,9,12,14,15,18,19,21-29,31-33,35,36,38,40,42,44,47

Archie 2-100

I've got around 90 MLJ titles to go out of the 229 Superhero titles. I laugh when I hear people say "I may accept one that's in only Fine +". Most of these don't exist above VG, period. Especially those early issues of Archie. So hard to find.

I can get my hands on a VERY nice Black Hood 16, if you're interested. PM me for details.

My theory of collecting is regretably based on my income. I am married with a new baby and a Staff Sergeant in the U.S. Air Force. As you can imagine I don't have loads of cash to put into buying comic books no matter what their potential value will be in the future. I am satified to get the best quality book that I can afford at the time. I do pass on really beat up books without cover etc.

Gary

Since I'm collecting JIM's from 83-125, I don't take anything under a 9.0,even though it seems impossible for some of them in a 9.0,I won't take an 8.5,even though 8.5 is quite rare on certain issues.Rather do without. Kevin

Shield, I wanted to offer the following - for my purposes of a full run of Batman I am perfectly content with some nice midgrade (ie vg/f to f/vf) books although for early SA and for GA, I would be content with some VG +/-. Personally, I only really have two pet peeves:

1 - dirty (aka tan) book (I don't need snow white books, but I want a book that doesn't look brown either

2 - a loose cover with tears around the staples

But most importantly, I also conisder:

1 - scarcity (overall and in grade)

2 - market value

At the end of the day it's about finding a book that's acceptable to you that you can pay an amount that you are comfortable with.

My two cents,

DAM

Although I do have some VG's in Silver Age, I will upgrade most of them to F/VF eventually. I still have a few runs to finish before I start replacing books. The early FF's are very expensive and I'll settle for either a nice Vg on those or a restored copy. When it comes to # 1's like DD or Journey Into Mystery 83 - I really would prefer a VF restored to either a VG. Cost is about the same and I would enjoy the look of the restored book over a VG anyday.

I try to be careful not to buy books to fill holes that I will only have to upgrade later. As satisfying as it is ti complete the run with a "decent enough" copy, its a waste of money in the long run to haveto buy it again in a better grade. Cause what do you do with the earlier inferior copy? Maybe the dealer will take it in trade, but you rarely get your money back unless many years have passed in between.

So , I try now to steel myself from giving in to the urge to buy too many issues in the run in lower grades solely to get them all quickly. Ive found that even GA runs a "do-able" in lower grades, so if you want a higher grade run, hold out for them.