• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers - Required Reading

38 posts in this topic

can't beleive no one has mentions the Kree/Scrolls war. avengers 87 thru 104? somehting like that.

Well, no one has mentioned the Kree/Scrolls war, but I did mention the Kree/Skrulls war a few posts back... 893scratchchin-thumb.gifgrin.gif

can't beleive no one has mentions the Kree/Scrolls war. avengers 87 thru 104? somehting like that.

Well, no one has mentioned the Kree/Scrolls war, but I did mention the Kree/Skrulls war a few posts back... 893scratchchin-thumb.gifgrin.gif

The Kree/Scrolls war just wasn't as good as the Kree/Skrull war. The scrolls didn't put up much of a fight.

But if you are centering on Silver/Bronze, go with the Kree-Skrull War and then the Avengers/Defenders War.

Three Cows Shot Me Down yay.gif

grin.gif(thumbs up

Shouldn't that be "Three Scrolls Shot Me Down"??? 27_laughing.giftakeit.gif

I just finished reading the Korvac Saga (my first Avengers story Arc), which I thoroughly enjoyed. Does anyone have any suggestions on what mini-run to work on next? It can be bronze or silver age circa.

Not exactly an answer to your question (because it's not a mini-run in the Avengers title), but I'd highly recommend the "What If?" story that was done based on the Korvac Saga ("What if the Avengers had become pawns of Korvac?"). Great story, one of the What If issues that I remember the most.

#164-166 just RULES, as well as The Masters Of Evil storyline in 275-279. Avengers Annual #10 is a very good one too with awesome Michael Golden art. Issues #185-187 with the Avengers travelling to Wundagore Mountain to battle Chthon who posseses the Scarlet Witch is a sweet read. #235-238 (I think) guest starring Spidey is a good one too featuring the new Masters Of Evil.

But Avengers Annual #7 and Marvel Two-In-One Annual #2 is by far my favorite comic storyline of all time. Starlin just nailed that one.

Korvac Saga is fun.

And don't forget the mini-sagas - those 2-3 issues arcs that are such Good Avengers tales:

The 2-part Grey Gargoyle/Metorite story

The Red Ronin leading into Ms. Marvel/Marcus tale.

The Taskmaster arc.

NIghts of Wundagore with the Elements of Doom wrap-up issue. Pure awesome...

STRONGGUY WROTE:

I would suggest...

Skrull/Kree War

Avengers/Defenders War

Kang Saga in Avengers vol 3

Why is Kang Saga so durned hard to find?!?

Korvac Saga is fun.

And don't forget the mini-sagas - those 2-3 issues arcs that are such Good Avengers tales:

The 2-part Grey Gargoyle/Metorite story

The Red Ronin leading into Ms. Marvel/Marcus tale.

The Taskmaster arc.

NIghts of Wundagore with the Elements of Doom wrap-up issue. Pure awesome...

STRONGGUY WROTE:

I would suggest...

Skrull/Kree War

Avengers/Defenders War

Kang Saga in Avengers vol 3

Why is Kang Saga so durned hard to find?!?

It is rather over-sized, and was under-ordered. It is a great story too. I highly recommend all of Busiek's run, expecially the first 30+ issues with George Perez illustrating thumbsup2.gif

The Serpent Crown/Squadron Supreme/Wild West Saga from 141-149 was very, very good and featured early George Perez artwork ...... the Celestial Madonna/Kang Affair from like 128-135 and Giant Sized 2, 3 and 4 were terrific with GS 2 being truly one of the greatest Avengers stories ever. For older stuff, The coming of the Vision (57-58), the wedding of Hank and Jan (59-60) and then the Ultron Affair (66-68) are also good reads. Also, one of my favorites was the Grim Reaper/Space Phantom business from issues 106-108 with the clever retcon of Captain America's secret identity and how Englehart tied together a lot of those early loose ends in Marvel history including resolving the ending to Steranko's Captain America 110-113.

Wow a lot of good stories there! (:

The Serpent Crown/Squadron Supreme/Wild West Saga from 141-149 was very, very good and featured early George Perez artwork ...... the Celestial Madonna/Kang Affair from like 128-135 and Giant Sized 2, 3 and 4 were terrific with GS 2 being truly one of the greatest Avengers stories ever. For older stuff, The coming of the Vision (57-58), the wedding of Hank and Jan (59-60) and then the Ultron Affair (66-68) are also good reads. Also, one of my favorites was the Grim Reaper/Space Phantom business from issues 106-108 with the clever retcon of Captain America's secret identity and how Englehart tied together a lot of those early loose ends in Marvel history including resolving the ending to Steranko's Captain America 110-113.

Wow a lot of good stories there! (:

Nice choices there!

Actually, if you are going to read the Kree-Skrull War saga, you might as well pick up issues 98-100 as well. Not only do they feature excellent Barry Windsor-Smith art, they feature the return of the Hawkeye identity for Clint Barton, the return of Hercules and a bazillion Avengers in issue 100. One of my all-time favorite sequences is from issue 99 when Hawkeye and the Vision almost duke it out amongst themselves while fighting Kratos and Bias who were attempting to cart off Hercules,