• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think a CGC 1.5 is still collectible?

60 posts in this topic

It depends on the book for me. If it's old (Golden Age) or very valuable (like FF #1), then I'd say yes. I'm sure some of my early Mads would fall into this low grade range and I love them.

I recently sent in an All Star 8 and it came back a 1.5 Universal cream to off white. The book is complete. Do you think it is still a collectible?

Heck yes. For me and quite a few other members, that's the only range of grades we'll ever be able to own copies of some GA books we want. When collecting GA, to me at least, it's more about having a copy than having a copy in grade because of the cost involved. Post a scan of the book when you've got it back. thumbsup2.gif

I've sold plenty of golden age and some silver age in that sort of grade, even worse (which means I bought it too). Often, particularly with some golden age, you might actually get a better % of Guide on a cheap beater copy like that than let's say for a 5.0 that might guide at $600 --- to much for many collectors, while the beater might be a $25-50 copy.

Your AS 8 is more expensive than that. A 1.5 is affordable to a bigger group of people than the 6.0. I'm not saying a 6.0 is less "collectible", but given that there's interest in the issue in general, there's a group of collectors happy to settle for a 1.5.

Good and below copies are also the type of high dollar books that some folks like to buy as CGC's and then crack them open. They get the restoration check and thrid party grade and can read an original for what is usually a decent price. Its better than buying some beater on ebay and then dealing with frauds or major undisclosed problems. 0.5 starts to get uncollectible for books worth less than $500 in VF

I recently sent in an All Star 8 and it came back a 1.5 Universal cream to off white. The book is complete. Do you think it is still a collectible?

Heck yes. For me and quite a few other members, that's the only range of grades we'll ever be able to own copies of some GA books we want. When collecting GA, to me at least, it's more about having a copy than having a copy in grade because of the cost involved. Post a scan of the book when you've got it back. thumbsup2.gif

I completely agree. I bought a All-Select Comics #1 CGC 1.5 because that's all I could afford, and I am completely happy. I have no doubt that I could get more for it 15-20 years down the road if I decided to sell it.

All Star 8 is a mega-key book....therefore I feel that as long as parts of it haven't been used as toilet paper, it is still very collectible and desirable. Don't be shy about disclosing a low grade on a book such as this. Not many of us will ever have the chance to own a book of this caliber.....no matter what the grade. Post that puppy when you get it back...and congrats.

Scott

I've sold plenty of golden age and some silver age in that sort of grade, even worse (which means I bought it too). Often, particularly with some golden age, you might actually get a better % of Guide on a cheap beater copy like thatthan let's say for a 5.0 that might guide at $600 --- to much for many collectors, while the beater might be a $25-50 copy.

That statement is soooo true. The pricing ratios in the low grade GA market are nothing like those in the SA market. While in the SA market, you'd be able to pick up a Good copy for a fifth of a Fine copy, in the GA market that ratio might be one third or even one half for desired books. My ratios are probably off but they give you an idea of what I mean.