• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide #37

72 posts in this topic

Well, since the OS should be out within the next couple of weeks, do anybody think there will be any pricing valuation surprises in this upcoming edition?

Took a look at the 2006 edition and noticed that the biggest percentage mover in the OS Top 100 GA was realized by Marvel Mystery #3 with a percentage increase of 13.6%. The biggest mover in the OS Top 20 SA was by X-Men #1 with a percentage increase of 15.4%. Hopefully, the biggest movers will go up by more than this in this year's edition.

In fact, it loooks like all of the books in OS's Top 100 GA list moved up approximately 10% per year during the past couple of years. The SA list moved up only about 4.5% per year over the same time period. Do you think Overstreet will be a bit more agressive with his valuations this year to more closely reflect what is happening in the marketplace?

Especially for some of the hot GA books such as the pre-Robin 'Tec's and the early Archie books. Particularly noteworthy when the early Archies are able to fetch multiples of guide in raw condition across the entire condition spectrum. Not so sure about the hot uber HG SA books since their price support starts to crumble when you start moving below the high grade levels. Even less sure about the red hot BA books since their price support disappears almost immediately once you get past the Top 2 or 3 CGC graded copies.

For sure, the valuation spreads between the conditions will continue to increase. Not sure if OS is just going to be sticking his usual tepid percentage increases in this year's edition. On the other hand, I also wouldn't be surprised if he goes with the 20+% increases because he also seems to do this every few years.

So, will there be any surprises this year from a pricing valuation point of view as it's always nice to speculate before the guide comes out? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think OS should stop putting prices and just have information regarding books like everything but the price, should be used for authentication/corroboration with other source(s). GPAnalysis has a better touch on the pulse of the market, as might CBG. We turn in our market reports in September reflecting sales then it comes out April of the next year, a full 7 months later it's like it's late or something. I forget. I miss getting free stuff though it's really too bad

I think OS should stop putting prices..........GPAnalysis has a better touch on the pulse of the market

You can't be serious here!

GPA is basically geared only towards the CGC slabbed books sold by a very limited numbers of dealers. I see GPA as being geared more towards the uber HG speculative end of the market where OS has decided to avoid reporting from due to the extreme volatility at this end of the market.

I don't see how GPA can report on raw sales which makes up the significant majority of the transactions in the marketplace. If you look into GPA, you'll harding find any numbers at all on virtually most of the GA books. GPA is actually a very concept, but the problem is that it is limited to only a very small, but high profile segment of the market.

I still see Overstreet as the best source to go to for long-term collectors, whereas GPA seems to be geared more towards the CGC flippers and specualators. I think both serves a a good complement to each other and has their place in the marketplace. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is it true that the Overstreet Advisors receive advance copies of the book? I've heard this happens in the coin industry, but I'm not sure about comics. confused-smiley-013.gif

Andy

Advisors and advertisers but it only comes 1-3 days early.

Thanks Marc, that's what I was looking for. Cheers! thumbsup2.gif

Andy

I have been supplying the comics history articles on the Victorian, Plat and "Origin of the Modern Comic Book" into the Overstreet PG for a decade now.

The "free" copy i get in the mail arrives basicly on new comic book day when the DM stores get their copies for sale.

I have never seen any advantage of more than a day or so the past decade. As in i might get mine on a Tuesday, and the comic book store copies are there for sale on Wednesday

definitely not enough time to make any sort of buying edge impact

Robert Beerbohm

www.BLBcomics.com

eBay store: BLBcomics

Celebrating 40 years Dealing Comics

I have been supplying the comics history articles on the Victorian, Plat and "Origin of the Modern Comic Book" into the Overstreet PG for a decade now

we know ,Bob, we know..you remind us every opportunity that you can.

Please,please,please have some self control over your use of the pronoun "I"

Everyone gets it.

Enough already.

sleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gif

What would be so difficult if Gemstone/Overstreet didn't publish a price guide for one year, then actually get ahead of the curve and have it distributed the first week in January ?

Or is this the only profit source for Gemstone and they cannot afford to do this?

Can't wait to see if my rare golden age books (currently selling for three and four times guide) have gone up one percent or two.

I heard there's going to be a special section devoted to showing how CGC 9.8 Moderns are superior in every way to moldy old Golden Age books. The prices will reflect this with a 50% drop for everything published before 1990.

What would be so difficult if Gemstone/Overstreet didn't publish a price guide for one year, then actually get ahead of the curve and have it distributed the first week in January ?

Or is this the only profit source for Gemstone and they cannot afford to do this?

What difference does the time of release make?

...and is it only me, or is there something odd about this self congratulating award?

Kindof like giving yourself a nickname?

It's like the old joke, "Why do dogs lick their balls?" 27_laughing.gif

..because cats won't do it for them? confused-smiley-013.gif

Actually, it's because they can't make their paws form a fist!

Scoop is reporting that it's going to be a week later than we thought, 4/25:

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=15047&si=122

Scoop actually just reported that Bob Beerbaum will be doing articles on the Platinum Age in the the upcoming edition!!!!!!!

Scoop actually just reported that Bob Beerbaum will be doing articles on the Platinum Age in the the upcoming edition!!!!!!!

yay....... sleeping.gif

sleeping.gif Huh? Wha? 893whatthe.gif Oh... sleeping.gif

I wonder how many times we'll see the pronoun "I" in his latest Platinum Age report ?

Maybe it is a good thing that it is late....

Yet, if I can't get over my insomnia, Guess that I can read last years Beerbohm report

on his latest discovery from the Paleolithic Era of Comics..

Can't wait to see if my rare golden age books (currently selling for three and four times guide) have gone up one percent or two.

Yes, it's been sort of quiet around these boards lately except for Bangzoom's latest scans. cloud9.gif

It would be nice to have something substantive to gripe about once the guide comes out, instead of our usual speculative gripes. wink.gif