• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rant and questions

31 posts in this topic

This is my first post so be kind:)

OK I'll try. Welcome to the boards.

I've been collecting comics for about 15 years now, I'm 23 and my focus is Gold and Silver books.

Don't like you already frown.giftongue.gif

Having been to numerous conventions I've noticed that the average age of people collecting gold and silver is a lot older than me.

What's that ,eh? Speak up sonny..those of us who collect gold and silver can 't hear you due to our geriatrically challenged senses of hearing. Who are you and what is this post about? How do I work this new fangled computer thingy? Oh..my dementia is now kicking in...

From my point of view it seems that people between 20-30 are only interested in collecting whats hot, and not whats beautiful and good reading.

The 20-30 year old people you see around you got it right!!! Obviously you may need to take a better look at modern books vs gold and silver. The art on older books is rudimentary and bland compared to the shiny, intricately detailed covers and art of today's books. And as for writing...Modern books have excellent story arcs worthy of a novelist's pen while older silver and GA campy plot storylines are a pain to even read through some days if you place any value on literature. The only thing beautiful to me about silver and golden age books is the $$$ they can get you when trafficking in the high grades. Otherwise, you got yourself some moldy toilet paper tongue.gif

Out of all this crazy talk comes some questions, do those of you who collect gold and silver notice what I've described, or am i just crazy (don't answer that.) I'd like some input from old and young collectors.

Boy, you so craaaazy insane.gif

And on a more general note some of the comic book stores near me have closed and I know that the comics industry is suffering slightly and I was wondering is the collecting base for gold and silver shrinking?

They are dying every day. It's a law of nature. It's sad to see them go but the Lord takes us all in good time and for Golden Age coollectors, they are long overdue. Collecting golden and silver age kills more people daily than smoking a carton of cigarettes. (I think we should set up a Truth.com-esque commercial where about 100 forumites all collapse outside povertyrow's house with greggy holding up a sign saying "stop the Golden Age madness!"

and Are less people collecting comics in general?

Yes. Kids would rather play video game consoles at home than read. Comic book movies have not broguht kids into collecting due to the prohibitive pricesd of new books, yet they find time and money to spend of f#@$%n yu-gi-oh cards...tell me "Is anything right in this world?"

And one more rant item, when i step up to a booth and start talking gold and silver to someone they always give me a look like I'm going to rob them or since I'm young they can take me for all I'm worth.

Yes, most of the scrupleless sharks deal in Silver and Golden Age...Beware!!!! The "look" is probably due to some inordinate amount of tatoos or body piercings, or maybe you sport dreadlocks, unwashed, unkempt and held together by 2 day old bacon grease mixed with other bodily secretions. Show up in a shirt and tie and they may give you more of the play you are looking for.

Even in comic stores I get followed around like they are lost puppies.

Lose the black trench coat with inside "stealth" pockets and check your book bag at the front counter.

That's really no way to get young people into or keep them in the hobby. I'm done. Have fun ripping me a new one.

Boy I had a blast with this post...don't take it too seriously and once again WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! I've also got some really beat up golden and silver age books for you at 20x NM guide. grin.gif

Well I do have a shaved head and sport the "guns dont kill people I do" t-shirt under a black trenchcoat when i go to shows. Now that you mention it maybe I should stop doing that.

You part of the "trench coat mafia"?

Well I do have a shaved head and sport the "guns dont kill people I do" t-shirt under a black trenchcoat when i go to shows. Now that you mention it maybe I should stop doing that.

You part of the "trench coat mafia"?

If he tells you, he's probably gotta kill you. 893whatthe.gif

Welcome aboard !!

I'm 45, been collecting ( or accumulating ) on & off since I was 7 or 8 years old.

(Too bad Mom dumped my first 100 or so books into the trash)

Anything nice, GA,SA,BA, new, whatever.

acclaim.gif

Well, I be 52 and collect pre-code horror so categorize that as Gold or as Atom or even Pre-Silver! I started collecting when I was about 30, kind of doing a mini-de-evolution thing from Modern to Silver to Gold and finally settling on precode horror with a smattering of some what I see as fun BA (Werewolf By Night, the Adventure featuring Spectre (thanks Greggy!) etc.