• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rant and questions

31 posts in this topic

This is my first post so be kind:)

I've been collecting comics for about 15 years now, I'm 23 and my focus is Gold and Silver books. Having been to numerous conventions I've noticed that the average age of people collecting gold and silver is a lot older than me. From my point of view it seems that people between 20-30 are only interested in collecting whats hot, and not whats beautiful and good reading. Out of all this crazy talk comes some questions, do those of you who collect gold and silver notice what I've described, or am i just crazy (don't answer that.) I'd like some input from old and young collectors. And on a more general note some of the comic book stores near me have closed and I know that the comics industry is suffering slightly and I was wondering is the collecting base for gold and silver shrinking? Are less people collecting comics in general? And one more rant item, when i step up to a booth and start talking gold and silver to someone they always give me a look like I'm going to rob them or since I'm young they can take me for all I'm worth. Even in comic stores I get followed around like they are lost puppies. That's really no way to get young people into or keep them in the hobby. I'm done. Have fun ripping me a new one.

Welcome aboard! i am about to hit 30 & have always collected gold - bronze even in 6th grade! I know a lot of collectors in their 20's and all go for older books, so i think its pretty evenly distributed. Maybe not gold so much. Mostly atom age and forward. the books are too cool not to!

I think, and this may be a very broad generalization, that collectors of GA and SA are older is due to the fact that it costs lots more money to collect SA and especially GA books. Older folks USUALLY have more income.

There may be other forces at work, for example older folks may have more an actual connection to GA/SA books than the younger set.

From my point of view it seems that people between 20-30 are only interested in collecting whats hot, and not whats beautiful and good reading.

This is usually a collector's initial focus.... but for most, it usually matures into an interest in the older classic issues.

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I need to get to more shows and be more "out there". Still, those looks........ smile.gif

Knowledge is a wonderful thing...I think a lot of dealers can be quite elitist when dealing with SA and GA and probably think that knowledge comes with grey hairs. Hang around the GA and SA forums here and you will find that nobody cares how old anybody is.....you certainly will learn a lot and hopefully we can learn something from you.

This hobby will die if we don't embrace as many new collectors as possible.

Welcome to the boards we hope you stay for a long time.

I think, and this may be a very broad generalization, that collectors of GA and SA are older is due to the fact that it costs lots more money to collect SA and especially GA books. Older folks USUALLY have more income.

There may be other forces at work, for example older folks may have more an actual connection to GA/SA books than the younger set.

Bob, I think your second point is at least as pertinent/applicable as the first. After all, you can buy a lot of nice GA books for the price of one high grade Hulk 181 smile.gif So I think that the fact that the "retro" appearance of GA books, and the fact that many younger people can't relate directly to most of the characters, plays a major part.

Just to toss my hat in the ring: I'm nearly 40, have been collecting for 30 years, and focus almost entirely on GA-through-SA books, with a few BA exceptions (ASM, Daredevil, Conan and some key DC titles).

Welcome to the boards, cbaull, and don't let anyone push you around here - each is entitled to his/her own opinions!

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I need to get to more shows and be more "out there". Still, those looks........ smile.gif

Nah,

All you need to do is spend more time IN HERE smirk.gif

Ask Greggy......

Do you really think he could find someone in "the outside world" that would be willing to discuss HG ROMANCE comics?

And you think you get "looks"...... insane.gif

Nah,

All you need to do is spend more time IN HERE smirk.gif

Ask Greggy......

Do you really think he could find someone in "the outside world" that would be willing to discuss HG ROMANCE comics?

And you think you get "looks"...... insane.gif

Or scanning skills? confused-smiley-013.gif

Hi: I collect SA DC, just turned 52. That is what I grew up reading, that is what I enjoy collecting. Have fun, collect what you like whether GA, SA, BA, or modern. If you are happy with your collection and it brings you some satisfaction, go for it. My best advice " buy the best that you can afford".

Best, Tom

Welcome to the boards!

If you like collecting SA books, don't be discouraged by "looks" from dealers or store employees. Ask them questions, tell them things. They might be surprised at what you know. Just be persistent.

Also, these boards are a great place to learn about every facet of collecting. Lots of people willing to share their knowledge and voice their opinions. Ask questions. That's the best way to learn.

And who knows? You hang around long enough, and Bug might even bag you once or twice. smile.gif

Chris

Hello,

Im 45 years old. Have been collecting for 30 years. GA may seem far away in price but there are many bargains out there. The large boat of collecting keeps rocking from one side to another. 10 years ago, moden age and silver were really hot, then it cooled off and people started moving back into Golden Age books. All of a sudden at shows silver age books in lower vf or below were going in lots at shows for 1/2 to 1/3 guide. Golden Age picked up again while silver was going down. Little did I realize that I should have bought all the silver I could when it was 1/2 off. My point is that there are alot of Golden Age books out there that are yet untapped and have unrealized potential if you like to invest as well as collect. I find tremendous enjoyment out of statistically going thru guides and comic numbers trying to figure out what is scarce or rare. Then I go after it. But it has to have eye appeal to me as well. Usually, if the cover has eye appeal to you, it will to others. Buy what you like but you can still find many a golden age book for $ 12 to $ 50 if you hunt. They may seem like secondary titles but down the line they will not be. Good collecting to you, Jeff

P.S.- There is collecting for all budgets. When work is great its time to go for gold or silver age. When its not, I collect key valiants. Either way, Im still having fun. So, in the end, the money does not really matter but its a nice extra part of the collecting plate when one wishes to sell later.

..as if stars (the preoccupation of most members) really mean anything on this Forum! To be perfectly candid, I've rated no member as of yet. I'd have to know what the rating criteria would be for posts to be considered informative or amusing, before I'd award someone 5 stars simply because they were coherent enough to log in.