• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is this? A new service?

11 posts in this topic

They are for real, but they seem to be going nowhere fast.

At the present time, they do not have an outer holder, just the inner sleeve. This has been the case since the inception of the service. RJ has a few of these prototypes up for auction, and is a proponent of the company.

While I'd welcome some competition for CGC, and price pressure on the cost of the grading service, these guys have yet to establish themselves as a viable competitor.

I'm afraid these cats are never gonna get past the "unrestored" Avengers 4 episode. I have no doubt the CGC has missed restoration as well, but unfortunately for CGG, the 1st high-profile book they graded was almost immediately identified as having been labeled restored by CGC. And this was after the "president" of the company comes here and says they will be specializing in bronze to modern...now we see why! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Oh well...maybe the next 3rd party grading company (that I thought was coming out this summer...anyone?) will get off to a better start.

I'm afraid these cats are never gonna get past the "unrestored" Avengers 4 episode. I have no doubt the CGC has missed restoration as well, but unfortunately for CGG, the 1st high-profile book they graded was almost immediately identified as having been labeled restored by CGC. And this was after the "president" of the company comes here and says they will be specializing in bronze to modern...now we see why! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Oh well...maybe the next 3rd party grading company (that I thought was coming out this summer...anyone?) will get off to a better start.

OUCH!!

That's ugly... I missed that whole fiasco....

As for a new service, rumors had been swirling about Rob Hughes and PSA establishing a grading entity. Anybody heard anything firm beyond this?

CGG is inexpensive and fast. The holder is semi-rigid, and a fully-rigid (I feel so dirty typing that) addition is being developed, they say. The Avengers 4 incident really isn't such a huge deal to me, given that people seeme to have forgiven CGC for grading a comic that had ripped/cut interior pages detected only when a buyer cracked a slab and found them. Also, the CGG preserver is actually airtight-sealed and acid free. This might be a good way to air-seal older books you want to preserve for $7-8, but don't want to pay $40 to slab.

The main criticism of CGG is that they seem to grade above-9 books about .2 too harsh.

There is indeed another group, 3PG ("Third Party Grading") that has an acid-free plexiglass slab that's 98% UV-filtered (CGC's isn't), and includes the microchamber paper. Also only $7 or so a book. This company also includes grader's notes on the label, including a positioning guide to help determine where the flaws were detected. Although the rigid, UV-protected, acid-free case is a GREAT deal for this price, the drawback I sense with 3PG is that they grade on a 100-point scale, not on a 10-point. That means sellers/buyers who list on Ebay with the numeric grade as a search term will be stymied here; a 9.4 book is a 94 with 3PG.