• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My new Geek way of tracking my progression for Detective Comics

21 posts in this topic

I now track per year the number of issues I have and have a graph that updates as I add books. It lets me see where the thin years are. I still have a LONG way to go.

detective.JPG

893applaud-thumb.gif Numbers cloud9.gif

Also goes to show the tough years, esp. 53 / 54 / 55. Just hard to find nice DC books from that era.

Also, so that you're not all depressed and all, I would color code my bars and switch the color to red once you've got, say, 10 books from that year. That way, visually, you can see your successes instead of focusing on the trough years in the graph. thumbsup2.gif

hello all..

great looking graph...I have "played" with the idea of completely Tec from 27-present...I have most all SA on, and the long eared logo's (27-53) and maybe 20 of the villian cover issues...but, as greg has shown, it is a "tough" run, especially those mid 50's, so I likely will not try to tackle the run, outside of reader copies...

good luck!

rick

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I think one thing I will try to do is take a snapshot of the graph periodically so I can see how I am progressing. I have tried to stay with presentable copies with my ideal grade 6.0 or higher, but if a book looks clean, I have gone as low as 3.0. I have also started buying ungraded books again lately and have been very pleased with the results so far. As we have all said before, a lot of the fun is in the hunt!

Really, you are doing great with the run. It's much better than most will ever do.

Exactly. thumbsup2.gif

How many people outside of the ga forum, have books dating from 1940?

Your graph would look a lot better if you add one from 1939. devil.gif

In the 80s people would get sheets which had 100 small numbered boxes and then color in the issues they had. My Batman sheets looked a lot like your graph.

I remember those cards. I still have some. They were 3x5 and let you catalog 100 issues. I need quite a few that I could easily pick up today but I have been focusing on issues from the 1950s but I seem to run into a lot of competition for those books.

I now track per year the number of issues I have and have a graph that updates as I add books. It lets me see where the thin years are. I still have a LONG way to go.

detective.JPG

I think you're doing pretty good and I wish I had that many. hail.gif

I love your post title and I'm proud to be a "Geek" myself. cloud9.gif

Keep up the good work, thumbsup2.gif

fay

detective.JPG

That isn't geeky, it is good planning. For a long term and massive undertaking, all the data you can get is helpful, but maybe I am just a data geek myself.

I haven't done my books by year like you, but I have tried to project the budget needed for a run on Detective and it is scary... and I don't go for high grade, 4.0 - 6.0 is what I shoot for.

detective.JPG

That isn't geeky, it is good planning. For a long term and massive undertaking, all the data you can get is helpful, but maybe I am just a data geek myself.

I haven't done my books by year like you, but I have tried to project the budget needed for a run on Detective and it is scary... and I don't go for high grade, 4.0 - 6.0 is what I shoot for.

Funny you mention estimating the cost, I have something similar where I have place a seed average price per year grouping that updates based on what I have actually paid. And yes, the numbers are VERY scary.

Awesome concept, and much more to the point than the way I had mine, which was a spiral notebook with every issue I needed written inside it, then crossing them out when I bought it.

[

Funny you mention estimating the cost, I have something similar where I have place a seed average price per year grouping that updates based on what I have actually paid. And yes, the numbers are VERY scary.

Batman-fan, you already have a full run on the title "Batman" unless I am mistaken. I believe I read that somewhere on the boards. That is really impressive and to be able to do both Tec and Batman is only a dream for me at this point.

I do have a couple of advantages going for me in my pursuit: 1) I already mentioned, I don't chase high grade. I just can't afford it in Golden Age, at least not at this point in my life. I look for the always subjective "nice looking" book with "eye appeal."

2) I don't particularly have anything against restored books as long as it is known and disclosed. For some the of the pricier keys, obvious examples a #27, 29, maybe 38, a restored copy will be my only option.

[

Batman-fan, you already have a full run on the title "Batman" unless I am mistaken. I believe I read that somewhere on the boards. That is really impressive and to be able to do both Tec and Batman is only a dream for me at this point.

I do have a couple of advantages going for me in my pursuit: 1) I already mentioned, I don't chase high grade. I just can't afford it in Golden Age, at least not at this point in my life. I look for the always subjective "nice looking" book with "eye appeal."

2) I don't particularly have anything against restored books as long as it is known and disclosed. For some the of the pricier keys, obvious examples a #27, 29, maybe 38, a restored copy will be my only option.

I do have a full Batman run, but I am still upgrading some issues I have. The Detective run will be a long endeavor, but I look forward to chasing it.