• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mad #1 CGC 9.8 Gaines File Copy On Ebay

88 posts in this topic

GPAnalysis notes that a CGC 9.4 Gaines file copy sold in October 2006 for $11,374. No indication of which of the 12 copies it was.

A reliable source informed me that this copy was sold through Vault Auctions, but it did not indicate which Gaines file copy # it was. The high bidder was "jhalpe".

That copy had Off-white to White pages and it sold in October 2006.

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=13450&si=123

If this is the case, then, I believe, Jim owns (or has owned) three file copies.

http://www.lewiswaynegallery.com/comics/mad1w.jpg

no. 0775537001 CGC 9.8 Off-White Pages

http://www.jhalpe.com/collection/comicbooks.php?category=comic-books

no. 0768476011 CGC 9.8 White Pages

I hope to own a file copy one day but I am holding out for one of the rarer 9.4-9.6 versions. :baiting:

GPAnalysis notes that a CGC 9.4 Gaines file copy sold in October 2006 for $11,374. No indication of which of the 12 copies it was.

A reliable source informed me that this copy was sold through Vault Auctions, but it did not indicate which Gaines file copy # it was. The high bidder was "jhalpe".

That copy had Off-white to White pages and it sold in October 2006.

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=13450&si=123

If this is the case, then, I believe, Jim owns (or has owned) three file copies.

http://www.lewiswaynegallery.com/comics/mad1w.jpg

no. 0775537001 CGC 9.8 Off-White Pages

http://www.jhalpe.com/collection/comicbooks.php?category=comic-books

no. 0768476011 CGC 9.8 White Pages

I hope to own a file copy one day but I am holding out for one of the rarer 9.4-9.6 versions. :baiting:

I am pretty confident I recall being told Jim had at least 2 or 3 Gaines file copies of #1.

Hey, mine used to be a 9.6, does that count? :gossip:

Hey Mark,

Sure maybe you paid a healthy chunk for the Mad 1, but ultimately you have a cool book in incredible`shape so if you never sell it, who cares.

Greg

I like your attitude Greg!! :headbang:

I'm not worried. It's healthy to be able to be self-deprecating at times about one's purchases. Seward's Folly turned out to be pretty good after all! ;)

This is all so true!

You have on of the most important comic books ever made and one of the coolest examples of true American pop culture that people outside of our hobby even like. Great piece to own, that is, IMHO.

I have made many impulse buys on comic books during the years. Money wise, some turned out great, some I broke even, and sometimes "the bar (Bear) ate me". (Big Lebowski (thumbs u)

I have done the same with original comic art for the last 7 years. Same results. I am really happy I pulled the trigger on a Kirby cover on ebay 6 years ago and a Ditko splash from Neat Stuff 4 years ago (Thanks Mike!). I would never be able to get them at those prices today. Did a implulse trade for a piece by an artist I wanted at Philly 4 years ago, I could sell those pieces for triple today and the piece I have is worth less than I valued it at the time. No big deal, like I have always said, if you buy what you love, and the "market" drops out, you still have something you love to own and look at. That's what this and all hobbies shold be about.

rantrant

Hey Mark,

Sure maybe you paid a healthy chunk for the Mad 1, but ultimately you have a cool book in incredible`shape so if you never sell it, who cares.

Greg

I'm not worried. It's healthy to be able to be self-deprecating at times about one's purchases. Seward's Folly turned out to be pretty good after all! ;)

This is all so true!

You have on of the most important comic books ever made and one of the coolest examples of true American pop culture that people outside of our hobby even like. Great piece to own, that is, IMHO.

I have made many impulse buys on comic books during the years. Money wise, some turned out great, some I broke even, and sometimes "the bar (Bear) ate me". (Big Lebowski (thumbs u)

I have done the same with original comic art for the last 7 years. Same results. I am really happy I pulled the trigger on a Kirby cover on ebay 6 years ago and a Ditko splash from Neat Stuff 4 years ago (Thanks Mike!). I would never be able to get them at those prices today. Did a implulse trade for a piece by an artist I wanted at Philly 4 years ago, I could sell those pieces for triple today and the piece I have is worth less than I valued it at the time. No big deal, like I have always said, if you buy what you love, and the "market" drops out, you still have something you love to own and look at. That's what this and all hobbies shold be about.

rantrant

nicely said...

gator

Hey Mark,

Greg

This is all so true!

rantrant

All quite true!! I don't even think you need a rantrant after this.

A (thumbs u will do just fine! :applause: