• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealers willing to CGC inventory?

51 posts in this topic

Well, you kindah knew it wouldn't come back a 4.5, right? If the dealer offerred your money back....

hello all...

I need to clarify....the book was initially bought by me last year as an old label 5.0...I resubbed, hoping to get a little higher , since it looked a little nicer to me through the slab, and some old labels tended to be graded harder than the newer labeled books (at least that was a rumor at one point)...however, I did crack the slab, and adimittedly, did not review the book, so the 4.5 certainly must be justified, just one of those things!

gator

I thought CGC was going through a tougher streak as of late... I sent in some books graded 5+ years ago with the old label. (strict grades) Expecting higher grades, I got lower grades on all of them!!

I think the toughest part about CGC's model is the consistency of grading over 5+ years... Like any company, they will employ different graders through the years. It will be interesting to watch the evolution of grading when CGC enters it's second and third decade of existence.

I commend Richard and Bob for their experiment, and I hope more dealers follow their lead. I already have my eye on some nice raw books at Metro... We'll see! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I would like to follow up that Mr. Evans is also extremely fair, has a little room to wiggle on books as far as price; is professional and prompt. I will be buying more books from him in the future.

P.S. The Zip #24 came back with white pages to boot!

zip24f.jpg

Darn, that book looks nice! Wanna sell it?

Shield, it was a pleasure. I will let you know as more MLJs come in.

Thanks.

I already have my eye on some nice raw books at Metro... We'll see! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Please, Let us know how that works out! popcorn.gif

I'd be willing to give it a try if anyone sees something on my web-site of interest.

www.bedrockcity.com

OK lets try one FC 199 Sheriff of Bullet Valley raw 8.0 listed at $750 comes back CGC 8.0 takeit.gif

As a follow up to this thread.....

The FC 199 came back from CGC as a 7.0. I had it graded as a vf. Didn't result in a sale but I was happy to give it a try. I want to thank bullet123 for giving it a shot as well. Our conversations through out have given me insight into his collection and now I have a BIG want list to work from.

The Zip 24 I sent in for Shield came back a 6.5 (white pgs.) I had it as a vf-. This one was a little dissappointing to me from a grade standpoint. I thought I had it much closer than that. But we adjusted the price and Shield now has a book I think he is going to be very happy with.

On a side note, since CGCs inception I think grading in general has really started to tighten up on both sides, dealer and collector. I know it has caused me to rethink how I grade. There are things I need to be much tighter on. There are some things I can be a little looser on. Every time I submit books I feel like I get a little better.

So, if anyone else wants to give it a shot, let me know.

It is so refreshing to see that a dealer such as yourself is willing to admit that as a fellow collector, which you also are, that it does not matter what you grade the raw book at. You can disagree with CGC and their grade for the book, but if you want sales results from buyers like myself and more buyers it seems each day, then you will have to accept their grade and price accordingly. What I hope happens to the market in general is that people eventually educate themselves to the fact that the raw books they are buying, even from the most respected dealers out there, are generally off by a half grade or so. When you are talking about books that have a market value of a couple of hundred dollars it may not matter to you, but when you start to spend thousands like me, it makes all the difference in the world. The good news on the flip side for you is that you can take solace in knowing all the books you have in your personal collection are graded conservatively and will be easier to market should you decide to liquidate one or all of your books in the future. While this did not result in a sale to me, I will always be willing to work with Richard in the future and I am sure his experiment will result in more sales to me in the future because of the professional way in which he attempted to accomodate me.

I agree. Major kudos to Rich Evans! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'll take White paged 6.5s that look like that all day long.

Me too - and white pages should be factored into value if not grade IMHO. I firmly believe there is a 3 grade range on just about any book where fair minded people can assess a grade and feel comfortable they are being accurate. From what I've seen CGC is neither consistently tough or loose, understandable given the different people grading books. The tough part is figuring if someone else's grade falls at the top or bottom of the 3 grade spectrum, but I think most people know when they see a strong 8.0 or a weak 9.0. Does that mean the "middle" grade is the most "accurate", perhaps, but as long as we all have flaws that bother us more or less than they do others, we will disagree on a given books "true" grade - in or out of the slab.