• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

well i'm bummed out

21 posts in this topic

early this evening a (live ebay) auction went off in falls church virginia on an original nedor collection ... I would have bid on nearly everything ... but the book ...

THE book i was going after was very early in the auction ... black terror 2 in CGC 7.0 ... I was on the road travelling and they assured me they would call me .. and i know they tried ... but for some reason my phone didn't come through cellular ... but I had just talked to them not even 15 minutes before to make sure everything was on target, they should have just kept me on the phone ... long story short by time we linked up the item had past and they said ... do you want to bid on all the rest ... and i said something like drop dead ...

so ... if you bid in that auction and won ... i would have definitely run the price up on you ... and if you are wondering if you got a deal ... you did ... every book would have cost more if i had bid ...

sour grapes here ... not that anyone cares ... but i suppose we've all had our bells rung in auctions before ... and if i don't vent here ... where will i? it's not like anybody in the real world or even my family is that bummed out I didn't spend 500 or a thousand dollars on a comic book ... they would never understand my pain ...

perhaps you would like to share a pain story...on auction high jinks or sniping or whatever ...

The BlackTerror #2 is a get this twenty year holy grail for me ... twenty years ... the D collection did not include numbers 1 through 5 .... and through my confusion and shortcomings and who knows what else ... I didn't get the one at auction tonight. It's not like it's that great a book ... it's just a tough book to get in fine or better ... and the 7.0 was like a dream come true and i choked it up with the help or lack of it by Quinn's ...

so as a dedicated Nedor collector ... I came away from a very large original nedor collection with NADA ... because I boycotted the whole thing after missing the Black Terror #2

one day I'll get that book if i live long enough ...

right now I'm hoping a dealer ... like Metropolis bought it ... so I can at least buy it from them ... albeit at a much higher price

if you bought it and would like to sell it for an immediate profit ... let me know ... it may just be a nice book to you .. but it's a grail to me.

long distance call waiting $10

missing one item you really wanted....$500-$1000?

missing the whole auction due to frustration and an unclear head.......priceless. poke2.gif

I know...not funny sorry.gif....I'm actually bummed for you...it's no fun waiting and having something blow it for you......I had a similar "oh " experience when I didn't win an auction for a box of comics including TOS 39 up run and TTA 27 up run.....it went for just over $500 893whatthe.gif luckily I hung in and still bought the Xmen 1 up, ASM 1 up, FF 1 up, AF 15...etc....

I bid on two books in tonight's auction. I didn't win the Fighting Yank #4 CGC 7.0, which surprised me, as my absentee bid was well over double condition guide. I did win the America's Best #9 CGC 8.0, a GREAT cover, for about 1.5 condition guide, which I'm very pleased with, as I already have sharp copies of 6, 7, & 8. Now I need a nice 5 & 10!

Well, I don't think you'd have beaten me on the Fighting Yank lot I won but I'm sorry to hear you lost out on the grail you wanted. I HATE when that happens.

I did notice that BigLoo was bidding from eBay so there may have been other heavy hitters in play as well. I don't know how tough a book that BT#2 is to get in condition but now you'll have extra eyes looking out on your behalf at least.

Sorry to hear that BT. I put some absentee bids in and just hoped for the best. I typically don't participate in the live auctions anymore, because I tend to get caught up in the "auction fever" and usually pay more than I should. So, I just put what I was comfortable with and let it ride.

Hopefully a board member won it and might consider selling it to you.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Sorry to hear that BT. I put some absentee bids in and just hoped for the best. I typically don't participate in the live auctions anymore, because I tend to get caught up in the "auction fever" and usually pay more than I should. So, I just put what I was comfortable with and let it ride.

Hopefully a board member won it and might consider selling it to you.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

So what'dja get?

hello all...

was this the quinnsauction?...I was going after the Wonder Woman 6-10 ...I put bids in on 10,9,8,7 and for some stupid reason, didn't have time to put in on the #6 (not sure I why I went backwards)...it said 3 hours to go, but when I went to bid on it, it has closed (3 hours early??)...so, I was bummed out, too!

rick

Well, Black Terror, you sure know how to make a guy feel like *spoon* about winning a fantastic, near impossible to find Nedor. yay.gif I don't know what you would have bid, but I do know that I won it for much less than my max bid. I was shocked at the final price myself. yay.gifyay.gif

I won't repeat it, because you've already stated how hard this book is to find. There are only two copies on the census. This one at 7.0 and a 4.0.

I bid on a lot more of those auctions also but the BT #2 is the only one I won. Most of the BT's I don't need, therfore I didn't bid. I also held back on the other lots I bid on because I had bid so strongly on the BT #2. I was also a little concerned about bidding on raw books because a couple of the slabbed ones had purple lables. The one I regret not winning is the lot with the Fighting Yank #23. There was just to much risk involved to bid high on the lots, the pictures were not good and the descriptions extrememly vague. I wish I had bid on the Dynamic #1. It went low, I think.

I also only use absentee bids with live auctions, because I don't want to get caught up in a duel.

I wish I could say it was for sale, but I don't know if I could replace it. sorry.gif That being said, I have sold other books in the past that are hard to replace. Punch #12 and my first copy of Black Terror #1 are good examples.

Speaking of BT #1. There is an 8.5 on the census. If anyone knows who owns it, I would be willing to pay $3700 for it.

sumo.gif

I took several stabs at those Nedor's last night but I'm not a fan of live auctions. Needless to say, I was the second highest bidder on about 3 of those books. I walked away though because there was nothing there I was terribly excited about due to ridiculously vague descriptions. I hope whoever won those Fighting Yanks 6,7 and Exciting Comics 30,31 get VF books and not VG books.

Hell, everything falls between vg and vf no? Might as well said, 'books found in attic from my dying old grandpa'. I would think an auction house that deals with merchandise on this scale and makes estimates on closing prices could at least figure out the grade of the book. Or am I asking to much?

The shipping thing is throwing me for a loop. Guess I didn't read the fine print. You have to hire someone to go pick up the winnings and package and ship them to you. Or have a friend, if you know someone local, pick it up and send it to you. crazy.gif

The shipping thing is throwing me for a loop. Guess I didn't read the fine print. You have to hire someone to go pick up the winnings and package and ship them to you. Or have a friend, if you know someone local, pick it up and send it to you. crazy.gif

Have you spoken with them. generally the auction house has a local packaging and shipping company that they deal with all the time that will take care of that for you but a word of caution: they tend to charge an arm and a leg to do it.

Have you spoken with them. generally the auction house has a local packaging and shipping company that they deal with all the time that will take care of that for you but a word of caution: they tend to charge an arm and a leg to do it.

I haven't spoken with them, but the companies they recommended in the winning lot announcement sounded pricey. I may know someone up there to go and get it for me.

I hope whoever won those Fighting Yanks 6,7
hi.gif

But I guarantee they're all in the VG range. No matter what they said, the photos don't lie. Pieces out of covers on three of them, a piece of tape on another. But I was only after the FY 6 anyway.

Funny thing they told me was that the FY 6 had "the middle staple missing". But I think it's the only one in the run that actually had two staples so there is no "middle staple". I'm gonna have that nasty roll pressed out, if it's practical, to restore--er, conserve?--the glory of that cover.

Considering how high I bid on that lot I'm shocked at the price I won it for. Then again the 22% buyer's premium 893whatthe.gif and the ship-it-yourself policy screwy.gif kinda neutralizes any benefit of a low price.

The shipping thing is a little different. In some of their other fine print, I read that they will do the shipping, but you could use an outside source if you prefered to.

I'm waiting on an invoice, then I will see if it has any further information. I want to bet my book on the way to me.

I called them before the auctions, they said that they would ship comics "In House" for about $15.00.

I was watching the WW #6 and 7, but they went a little higher than I felt comfy with...good luck with yours:) cloud9.gif