• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

9.6 my arse!

74 posts in this topic

Well what can you say? I recently purchase a 9.8 modern from an infamous dealer. When i received the book i realized ive had 9.4

s that looked better. All black cover with several visible spin stresses? Will i keep it and brag i have a 9.8 to make myself feel better? Hell yes. Will i continue looking for a better 9.8? Hell yes. Their grading is sometimes on the line of inconsistancy compared to some 9.4 and 9.6's. Oh well, live and resubmit if you dare? With this book it was blessing havng a 9.6 but thats what the census is for. Look at many x-men101 9.6 that come up for sale. Very few have the thick white line spine on them. I wonder what the 9.8 looks like? I've also seen some hulk 182's id swear were 9.8's that came out 9.6. Consistancy? Nah, luck of the draw. How many 9.8 181's does everyone think are out there? I'd say about 6 to 10 more? What will the next one sell for? Under 20k or over? Many would say yes? But as i understand it, after talking with some internet dealers, one or two of the current owners of other hulk 181 9.8s were bidding on the last one that sold for so much. What do you guys think is contributing to the continuous high selling price of the 9.6? Stupidity? Value vs 9.8's. All i know is i sold a G.S.X-men 1 for 1450,$50 more than i paid for it back in 2001 and im regretting it now frown.gif

So Bonds, what grade is it?!?!?!?!? 9.4? 9.2? 9.0?

That book doesn't have a single spine stress and the corners are perfect.

That POS 9.6 that murph posted has a nice visible spine ding, which can be clearly seen in the smaller scan.

Is this what grading has come to? The most important criteria is centering?

UGH.

So Bonds, what grade is it?!?!?!?!? 9.4? 9.2? 9.0?

That book doesn't have a single spine stress and the corners are perfect.

That POS 9.6 that murph posted has a nice visible spine ding, which can be clearly seen in the smaller scan.

Is this what grading has come to? The most important criteria is centering?

UGH.

It's a gorgeous copy with great gloss, colors, and corners, but a book that is centered this badly (IMO) shouldn't get a 9.6. Plus, it has pink [!@#%^&^] on the back, and the right side of the cover is showing a black line because of how off-centered it is.

yep, ive seen worse 9.6's. I wonder if it was a close call? Arent some of the 9.8s miswrapped justa bit?

Yea, I've seen some badly miswrapped 9.8s too. The Hulk is beautiful, but I really dislike books that are off-centered as bad as this book is.

yep, that is main contributor next to page quality as to why i wont bid on some books (I know its superficial) but a book was made to read / look at. If i cant do one, atleast i can do the other. Hulk 181s in 9.6 are way overpriced though. Does everyone see the market for these going up or down? I see it going down mostly/ but then again, the x-men g.s.1 in 9.8 has done extremely well

I always felt the same way. I'd rather have a wee bit of a wrap to the back cover this way you can actually see more of the actual art. In this book's case, you can see the entire left to right of the art since the wrap around is so bad. I'd always rather have it wrap to the back than the front since, again, you get to see all the artwork and since the book is sealed that's all you have to look at anyway.

Tod

That book was smoking! Just graded it in Chicago. If it was not mis-cut, it would have recieved a 9.8-9.9 893whatthe.gif

people don't realize that thier 9.6 or 9.8's that have a off centering or a spine crease IS why that book missed a higher grade! they just complain "why is this book off center and a 9.6???"