• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the best SOFTWARE for managing CGC collections? (MAC user)

14 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am a MAC user and was wondering what's the best and easiest software to use to manage my CGC collection. As of now I just have an excel spread sheet with basic info, but would like to have a slick database complete with my scans included.

Any and all info will be greatly appreciated! thumbsup2.gif

Macs account for less than 2% of the hardware market share...I wonder how many of those manage comic collections? crazy.gif

I haven't tried any of this out (I don't have a MAC) but a previous software thread I put up a link to a software program.

If you know of any software packages...give us link and we can at least rate 'em for you.

I'm a Mac user, too, and I'm not sure whether there is a program available. That new one (Comic Collector Live, I think it's called) is for PCs only.

I catalog my comics using the web-based "My Collection" database on comicspriceguide.com. It would allow you to add notes to any issue in your collection, and also assign a grade, price paid, etc. But, it doesn't have a way for you to store your own scan of the issue.

Maybe with their system you could store your scans locally, and add the scan's filename/location in the "notes" field on their database?

Macs account for less than 2% of the hardware market share...I wonder how many of those manage comic collections? crazy.gif

Where did you get those stats? Microsoft? Apple has always held at least a 5% share. If they held less than 2% I wouldn't know any fellow Apple users nor would any stores like Best Buy bother carrying their computers.

Regardless of the share of the market you are talking millions of people and would think the chance that some of them collect comics is very good. Comic collecting is not a very big hobby to start with so I would think that the odds would be pretty much the same no matter what hardware you run and what OS you use on that hardware.

To answer the question though there is no really good one time payment software that is specific to comic cataloging for the Mac. There are a few small programs that are not bad but if you want something that is not manual then you are out of luck.

You could use CPG but you are sinking ALOT of money annually into something that you really should not be paying on a regular basis for. A common spreadsheet or File Maker Pro would do you as well as anything out there.

Hi,

I am a MAC user and was wondering what's the best and easiest software to use to manage my CGC collection. As of now I just have an excel spread sheet with basic info, but would like to have a slick database complete with my scans included.

Any and all info will be greatly appreciated! thumbsup2.gif

I use excel too and include a link in the notes to the scan on photobucket

Macs at one time were around 2%. but no matter, I think lots of people are thinking for themselves and not "popular wisdom" about whether to stay with windows or see what the other 2 to 5% ar eraving about. : )

Filemaker Pro is excellent database, but yeah it takes a bit of time and learning to set up. But after that you can sort your collection any way you want; title publisher, genre, age, bought from, cost, sticker, Guide, value vs Guide, date bought etc etc etc etc.

WExcel can keep track of all this info, and is sortable, an dif you know Excel well, you can make it jump thru hoops like a true database program, but, thats pretty advanced stuff too.

Im thinking you were hoping for an easy answer huh?

You can always run ComicBase in Windows on your shiny new Intel Mac!

My apologies if my percentage share was off...I must've read that from an incorrect online source. Even at 5% or even 10% though....it's an uphill battle (relative to Windows choices). Not knocking Macs (my wife wants one)...and there's a big Apple store here in Charlotte that tempts me...

Personally, I use Linux and VMWare (or use Crosstalk) into Windows when I have to.

The problem with emulation software is that it just isn't like working in your native OS or the other OS you are using through it. Sure they have improved emulation software over the years but there are still limitations.

As far as I am concerned if you are using emulation software you are not that committed to or interested improving whatever OS you are using. When I used a PC for a few years (maybe four years) I was committed to either Windows or Linux and not at all interested in using software that wasn't native. IF you are using emulation software you are admitting defeat and also ensuring that the big companies that develop OS specific software will never consider developing for other OSes.

The same goes for hardware and peripherals if people choose the emulation way out you can be assured that big hardware manufacturers will never commit to you.

Sorry for the rant.

sterling,

No harm done. While some people and even Apple commercials may give the impression that they are trying to unseat MS. They know it is not going to happen. They have adapted to and have done very well serving their niche market. I have always enjoyed using Macs and it is great that now they are not so restricted in software. Still ... you hit the odd obstacle. Mind you that happens with Windows/MS too (how long did it take for MS to do a complete rewrite of Windows? Or introduce tabbed browsing to IE?)

No OS is perfect or better ... imo. They all have their issues.