• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

x-men the missing years thread bump

8 posts in this topic

See my website. About 1/3 of the way down the "missing years" start. I also wrote the following article for an as yet unpublished magazine.

X-Men – The Missing Years

By Brian Rempel

06/05/03

In December of 1970 the X-Men were on their way out. In that month Marvel published X-Men #67, a reprint of the now classic X-Men #12 and 13 (1st Juggernaut appearance). The title hadn’t been selling very well for a few years. As a matter of fact issue #66 (the last non-reprint issue) was already eight months old when #67 was published. Even the great Neal Adams wasn’t able to bring in the sinking ship that was the X-Men. While his run on X-Men #56 – 65 (except #64) is now considered some of his most classic work, it wasn’t enough at the time to keep the X-Men afloat.

The reprints lasted for four and a half years from issue #67 - 93. During that time various members of the team (either together or separately) would only make twenty-one appearances in the Marvel universe (in continuity).

In 1971 Iceman would be the only X-Man to appear in any title that year. Amazing Spider-Man #92 (dated January) was the last time we would see an X-Man for fourteen months!

The fourteen-month drought would finally end in March 1972 with Amazing Adventures #11 featuring The Beast and a cameo flashback of the X-Men. The following month would see appearances by both Havok and Polaris in Incredible Hulk #150. This was followed by three more issues of Amazing Adventures Beast stories (#12, 13 and 14). #12 featured the Beast with an X-Men cameo, but 13 and 14 were solo Beast stories.

Marvel Team-Up #4 (Sept. 1972) is the first time we have seen the full team together, sans Beast, in almost three years (thirty-three months)! Amazing Adventures #15 released in November of ’72 would see Angel team up with Beast as well as a minor X-Men team cameo. AA #16 (Jan. ’73) ended the run for Beast (#17 was an origin reprint issue). He wasnt gone for long though. In March of ’73 he continued the story arc from AA #16 into Incredible Hulk #161.

April of ’73 was a good month for the team. It was then that they made their first cover appearance in almost three and a half years in Avengers #110 (classic Magneto, Avengers, X-Men cover). That story continued in Avengers #111.

Nine months would go by with no sign of the X-Men until Marvel Girl, Cyclops and Professor X made an appearance in February 1974’s issue of Incredible Hulk #172.

April of 1974 would see the beginning of the now classic “The Secret Empire” story arc in issues #172 – 175 of Captain America. Issue 175 mentions a “delayed X-Men project” in the letter column. I’m assuming this is in reference to Giant Size X-Men #1.

Defenders #15 and 16 (Sept./Oct. ’74) would feature Professor X in a story line where Magneto is taken out of action and not seen again for two and a half years until X-Men #104 in April of ‘77. Professor X would appear one more time in Giant Size Fantastic Four #4 (Feb. ’75). Hot on the heels of this appearance was the release of the ground breaking Giant Size X-Men #1. This now classic publication would not only usher in a new team, but a new era in comics. We would soon see the X-Men breaking new ground and soaring to new heights ending their dry spell and the reprint run at issue #93. This new road was rocky and not without it’s close calls……..but that’s another story…..

Thanks guys. Yea Bruce, that's what I'm doing. I'm not real concerned about my set being HG, but just complete. Once it's complete I'll start getting HG copies, but mid grad is my fist goal because I read them (I want two sets, reading and HG).

I only need 21 more books to have every Silver Age appearance of the X-Men (including the SA regular title) and I'm working on a deal right now for 8 of them. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Soooooo close. Once I complete the collection I'll start upgrading. Most of the X-Men regular series are high grade, but there's room for improvement on almost all of them with money being the only limiting factor.

there's room for improvement on almost all of them with money being the only limiting factor.

What a coincidence, me too!?!? 893whatthe.gif

D@mn that money...worse than any super-villain! mad.gif

Thanks guys. Yea Bruce, that's what I'm doing. I'm not real concerned about my set being HG, but just complete. Once it's complete I'll start getting HG copies, but mid grad is my fist goal because I read them (I want two sets, reading and HG).

I only need 21 more books to have every Silver Age appearance of the X-Men (including the SA regular title) and I'm working on a deal right now for 8 of them. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Soooooo close. Once I complete the collection I'll start upgrading. Most of the X-Men regular series are high grade, but there's room for improvement on almost all of them with money being the only limiting factor.

I do that as well, but usually acquire the CGC copy first and then I want to read it because I can't quite remember the story and I'm too damn curious staring at the cover..

I have a nice ungraded 161 NM/NM+.. and of course a CGC 9.6oww