• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Movie "Comic Book Villians". So who sits at the table?

59 posts in this topic

In the movie "Comic Book Villians" it is mentioned that there is a special place at the San Diego Comic Con where all the "big players of the hobby" sit at a table in the back corner of a main room and get together. A place at this table is supposed to prestigious and is supposed to be composed of the comic elite !!!

Is there such a table or such a place where the big players congregate at this show?

Or, Is this this just movie poetic fiction?

If so, who are the big players at the table?

Usual 5 stars to all replies wether in agreement or disagreement with any posts.

Thats a unique "thread marketing incentive"... Five Stars with a reply. Clever way to juice up your topics. smirk.gif

I'd think Blazingbob would be aware if such an "elite get-together" occured in SD. You might want to PM him a link to the thread.

Sounds like Metropolis, JP, Brulato, etc. .. assuming they all enjoy each other's company. They are competitors after all in a high stakes game at that level.

I still haven't seen that movie...only 2 copies in DVD at my Blockbuster. I guess its time to put the VHS out to pasture.

Comic book villains talked about those guys who found pedigree collections,Chuck from Mile High,Marinin Rosenburg,Mark Wilson,Bechara Malouff,Mark Haspel,Motor City Comics to name a few,Although I don't think they actually all get together and sit around and talk about thier comics they found,but they are all at the major shows,which i'm sure they'll be delighted to talk to you about it. Kevin

Bruce,

you should check it out..it's worth seeing and they make alot of referance to pedigrees and comics and such,It's about 2 comic dealers fighting over a pedigree collection that is found in thier neigborhood,the 2 fight over it to get it from this old lady and she's not selling..of course greed then takes over. Kevin

In the movie "Comic Book Villians" it is mentioned that there is a special place at the San Diego Comic Con where all the "big players of the hobby" sit at a table in the back corner of a main room and get together. A place at this table is supposed to prestigious and is supposed to be composed of the comic elite !!!

Is there such a table or such a place where the big players congregate at this show?

Usual 5 stars to all replies wether in agreement or disagreement with any posts.

Well, it would be Rob Liefeld, Todd McFa...oh, wait...it's not 1992 any more, is it?

-Joe

Well, it would be Rob Liefeld, Todd McFa...oh, wait...it's not 1992 any more, is it?

-Joe

SNORT 893Funny-thumb.gif

This sounds like it may be some kind of inside joke that the producers threw in there to get the really hardcore fans (like most of us here) wondering. It may just be a fictional account or is there really an elite cadre of dealers that meet clandestinely to assure the future of the comic book industry? gossip.gif893frustrated.gif

The movie is referring to Gary & Lane? Carter's wall table in San Diego. That's where all the long time collectors like Geppi, John Snyder open up their pedigree funny books & start sniffing. laugh.gif This was before the advent of Cgc.

This sounds like it may be some kind of inside joke that the producers threw in there to get the really hardcore fans (like most of us here) wondering. It may just be a fictional account or is there really an elite cadre of dealers that meet clandestinely to assure the future of the comic book industry? gossip.gif893frustrated.gif

I've heard rumors,..someone once told me it was a secret clandestine group,...led by none other than,....KAISER SOUSEA.

J.D.

I have to agree with everyone else, this movie Rocks! This is the best movie ever made about the comic industry. I especially enjoy the interrogation at the beginning of the movie. Top notch!!

We talked a bit about this movie earlier but I will restate that I loathed this movie. Sure, they has some interesting bits of trivia thrown in. While the first 3rd or so is light hearted and fun, they end up dragging you through sterotypically portrayed greed and ridiculous (not to mention inane) (not to mention totally unrealistic) plot twists to make its unlovely point (that apparantly anyone pursuing comic books are greedy, screwed-up with no scruples and no morals.)

I really hated this movie. Also hated the cheap Tarantino ripoff feel (who got THAT feel from Scorcese).

I refuse to call Chrisco "Dad" just because he is sleeping with my mom.

I'd go ahead and start calling him Dad if I were you. I held out for a while when I was in the same situation only to end up calling him Big Poppa.

893whatthe.gif

I especially enjoy the interrogation at the beginning of the movie. Top notch!!

Yes, isnt that interrogation scene a Riot !!!! The poor guy would have to get one wrong eventually!!!

5 stars to all so far.

I only saw it once but I BELIEVE he referred to Marvel Comics #1 as Marvel Mystery during interrogation scene. ???

We talked a bit about this movie earlier but I will restate that I loathed this movie. Sure, they has some interesting bits of trivia thrown in. While the first 3rd or so is light hearted and fun, they end up dragging you through sterotypically portrayed greed and ridiculous (not to mention inane) (not to mention totally unrealistic) plot twists to make its unlovely point (that apparantly anyone pursuing comic books are greedy, screwed-up with no scruples and no morals.)

I really hated this movie. Also hated the cheap Tarantino ripoff feel (who got THAT feel from Scorcese).

I'm with Pov on this one... I saw the film the day it came to my local video store, and was fairly disappointed. "Loathed" would be too strong, but considering that we in the comic collecting realm have just one movie representing us (this movie), it's pretty pathetic, and uses a lot of gross generalization to make "serious" comic book collectors look juvenile, petty, greedy, and so forth. Some of that characterization is no doubt true of some people, but it's far from being broadly applicable.

I'm hopeful that the upcoming film from Mark Hamill will be somewhat better, even though it's clearly a spoof.

If you want to see a great movie, see "Dogtown and Z-Boys," a documentary about the early days of skateboarding. What a great film - even if you're not into 'boarding (I'm not into it at all), this film will give you an appreciation for the dawn of modern skateboarding and the guys who pioneered it in the early/mid-'70s... great soundtrack, Sean Penn narrates - it's all good.