• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase New England/Dan Greenhalgh answers questions

438 posts in this topic

hey here's a question many here will love to finally hear the answer to :

Who was JGreen? and whats he doing now with all those lots he won on Ebay years ago. Does he still collect? Did he sell them? Did he ever comment on th ethreads that went on here?

thenx

It was a very sad and pathetic display of comicbook avarice at the Overstreet collection/breakfast debut.

There were people grabbing books, setting them aside, and then having

others pay them to look at the stack of books that they had not yet purchased.

It doesn't get too much worse than that...but I could be wrong.

I think that most collectors mellow out once they reach that 50-year-old threshold

and begin to realize what things are important in Life..

...and that these comics (or any other collectible) are only 'things'

that we are custodians of for the time being...until someone else owns them.

RE: aman619

Jgreen was and is for real. I actually met him... a very nice, well intentioned collector who, as many know, was taken advantage of by several ill-willed collectors who tried to bid him up.

He never complained about what happened, and he was willing to pony up and pay the final winning bid prices, which as you know, were insane in some cases.

In the end though....Jgreen got the last laugh as he got all of those exceptionally high grade books for about 1/3 of his final bid price.

In the spirit of fair play....I took over 60% off of his final winning prices, gave him for free all of the lots won by other shill bidders (and weren't paid for), and gave him the remainder of the collection that we did not post for free.

These books were part of a collection, that in hindsight, both Steve Borock and I thought should be pedigreed, as they were that high grade.... the collection was complete with every Marvel and DC ever published, in entirety, from 1960 through the year 2004.

All and all...he made out like a bandit...but I was glad to do it because, as I said,

he was a well intentioned collector....and if ever anyone I have dealt with needed a break because of what I considered to be outright maliciousness....he did.

RE: adams

It was awful....I can only imagine being a collector and being a part of that spectacle.....

It took me a little while to get past the personal embarrassment I felt at the time....This falls into the category of something I did 12 years ago that I would not do today.

Thanks for the comments

Has DNAgent posted his SNE story here yet?

"i just returned 5 bronze lots of comics from showcase new england (promptly refunded, thank you!)...

they were all trimmed/restored...i'll give another heads up...

Fellow forumites:

CHECK FOR RESTORATION ON COMICS FROM SHOWCASE NEW ENGLAND.

i just can't be the only one. the trimming was quite obvious to the naked eye, i noticed while still in the mylars, and was very sad b/c these did not need to be restored. i checked with a few known dealers in order to be certain. maybe everyone here has already learned their lesson (and never bids on their auctions)...and the other auction winners they sell to are ignorant...

i still need to leave feedback, any specific suggestions will be helpful...

i don't see why i have to pay shipping to be the restoration checker/expert for showcase new england, america's #1 comic dealer, shouldn't they pay me??? "

Follow up:

"well, i got some scathing remarks after telling the truth and leaving appropriate feedback...

check their feedback... "

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has Point Five posted his SNE story here yet?

"Like DNAgent, I had a bad experience with purchasing an SNE lot and finding the key book restored. That didn't even bother me so much... everyone makes mistakes, and they could have overlooked the color touch... but there was no apology in the least from them, responses were curt, and the return was a colossal headache. Once the books were back in their hands, it still took well over a month to get a refund, with just loads of excuses from them (a check sent which I mysteriously didn't get...weeks later, a Paypal refund which I also mysteriously didn't get... etc). They definitely had a limited interest in customer service...it took easily 10-12 (polite) emails from me before we could finally, mercifully end the transaction. Plus I took a beating on the shipping. I'm glad some others have had good experiences with them, but I sure didn't."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has EsquireComics told his SNE story here yet?

"I have only purchased one book from them in recent years. It was an Action #77 CGC 8.0 that I won on e-bay. I then stupidly realized I had a copy already. As I recall, the underbidder was Jim Halperin so I worked out an arrangement for him to purchase the book instead. SNE was accomodating in helping me extricate myself from this dumb move.

THAT BEING SAID, turns out last year SNE and I were both making plays for the same OO GA collection. He provided, according to the seller, a real insulting low ball offer. Not a real big deal. BUT he also badmouthed me when she told him what other "dealers" she had been in contact with. Said I had an "amateur website", among other insulting comments. Yea, right. The seller told me everything he said. As it turns out, she had approached me because of my website and my background. I treated her especially well and was very, very honest and open with her, though I did not purchase the collection. Soon after the seller told me of her discussion SNE called me to discuss the collection to inquire what I had thought of it as they knew I had seen it, and to assess the value. Treated me like one of the comic book dealer gang. Hmmm, what happened to my "amateur website"?

Their conduct was unprofessional. I won't deal with them."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has jmg3637 told his SNE story here yet?

"Without a doubt Dan is the worst major dealer in the country. It is not just his constant overgrading nor is it his passing off restored books as unrestored. You have to add to that his attitude which is just awful.

I have often refered to him as my ebay nightmare. I won several books from him and when they came in at least 3 of the 5 had major issues. The superman 6 was graded Fine, but it had over a dozen pieces of tape ( the centerfold and the cover with taped in) and a showcase 4 that had clearly been restored. He agreed that if thatr books were as I had described he would refund everything including shipping both ways.

The check came in and was reduced for shipping. I called to remind him of our agreement and he just went off on me telling me how I had no idea how to grade or what restoration was. The upshot was that he put a stop payment on the check. eventually (over a month later) he relented and sent me the refund ( minus another fee). "

Anecdote: Few people know about this story and my involvement in the Twilight Collection.

[..] Steven Fishler and Robert Rogovin [..] agreed to try and buy it together, and split it.

On behalf of the three of us, I looked at the Twilight collection...and knew right away that we wanted to buy it because it had such special books.

We so desperately wanted this collection that the three of us devised a plan to get in a back up offer if our first offer failed....a plan B so to say. Bidding was sealed and bids were to be opened by the seller at a certain time on a certain day.

At the deadline time, I got the seller to agree to accept my bid over the phone after he opened the other offers....he confided with me that it was second best, and a little short. He would not take another offer from me at the time...so I told the seller that Steven Fishler and Robert Rogovin wanted to make an offer (which obviously caught him off guard as neither one of them had ever seen the books).

I called Steve and Rob...as they were both waiting to see how this would work out....we all talked for a few minutes and came up with another offer....somewhere in the neighborhood of $275,000.....

Steve/Rob (I do not remember which one) then called the seller and made our second offer....which the buyer accepted. I learned later that the underbidder was Joe Vereneault

Now, I don't know about others but to admit that you "played" the seller by having him confide in you about the bidding process / results so your partners can throw in a last minute other bid for the same collection without you mentioning to the seller you are part of the same syndicate doesn't seem very ethical to me and to "brag" about it now isn't reflecting very well. Maybe that's just me and the rosy colored glasses I look at life but it's simply not anything I would be proud of. sign-rantpost.gif

RE: testinadical

DNA agent: I have referred to this situation in a previous post...I have very little doubt DNAagent will confirm this story:

A couple of years ago...with the prodding and manipulating of some of the people whom are active on this thread...got a novice buyer to leave libelous feedback on our site which prompted me to just hand it over to our attorneys.

He thought a few of his 20 books had restoration and trimming. It turned out that he simply, like many collectors, lacked sufficient competence to make these determinations by himself.

We sent all of the books he had questions about to CGC....and they all came back in the grades advertised and unrestored. To make a long story short, in the spirit of good will...I let him keep all of the books and refunded his money as well.

As I said, If you can track him down.....I am sure he will confirm this story.

Point5....as we have already heard from many on the boards....our policy on refunds is no questions asked....and they are generally prompt once we receive the books. I think a lot of buyers that experience with me would say this is not the experience they most often have.

Esquire comics: I beg to differ from Mark's version. I did not make an offer on the collection, I did not view the collection, and I did not pursue the collection.

I recall telling Mark that I thought this individual wanted way too much money for her collection....which was why I didn't pursue it, or follow up on it.

As a matter of professional courtesy, I don't speak ill of anyone, including other dealers as most sellers just find this king of behavior self serving...and not a very good reflection on the buyer. The bottom line for most collections being sold is best offer wins.

JMG3637: a case of where nothing you do will ever satisfy someone...no matter what. Jim seems like an intelligent guy...can't be all that bad if he is an accountant (CPA) which I didn't know...same background as me.

Every company in the world, and every consumer in the world has experiences like the one Jim and I did....it happens to everyone. Sometimes things get out of control....misunderstandings involving issues of trust and intentions evolve, and other things develop that just make deals bad.

Sometimes....you just can't control things, no matter what you do. It takes two people to resolve misunderstandings....In my opinion....Jim was not a willing participant.

This was a bad experience for both of us.....but again....as my history shows...and by the way, as his shows, these are not typical experiences for either of us...in fact...they are out of the ordinary.

Now, I don't know about others but to admit that you "played" the seller by having him confide in you about the bidding process / results so your partners can throw in a last minute other bid for the same collection without you mentioning to the seller you are part of the same syndicate doesn't seem very ethical to me and to "brag" about it now isn't reflecting very well. Maybe that's just me and the rosy colored glasses I look at life but it's simply not anything I would be proud of. sign-rantpost.gif

You are not alone in your sentiments. frown.gif

Anecdote: Few people know about this story and my involvement in the Twilight Collection.

[..] Steven Fishler and Robert Rogovin [..] agreed to try and buy it together, and split it.

On behalf of the three of us, I looked at the Twilight collection...and knew right away that we wanted to buy it because it had such special books.

We so desperately wanted this collection that the three of us devised a plan to get in a back up offer if our first offer failed....a plan B so to say. Bidding was sealed and bids were to be opened by the seller at a certain time on a certain day.

At the deadline time, I got the seller to agree to accept my bid over the phone after he opened the other offers....he confided with me that it was second best, and a little short. He would not take another offer from me at the time...so I told the seller that Steven Fishler and Robert Rogovin wanted to make an offer (which obviously caught him off guard as neither one of them had ever seen the books).

I called Steve and Rob...as they were both waiting to see how this would work out....we all talked for a few minutes and came up with another offer....somewhere in the neighborhood of $275,000.....

Steve/Rob (I do not remember which one) then called the seller and made our second offer....which the buyer accepted. I learned later that the underbidder was Joe Vereneault

I didn't view that as bragging so much as just being honest and upfront about what happened. confused-smiley-013.gif

I give him credit to admitting something like that. It's well in the past, we are all guilty of something and Dan is clearing the air.

R.

RE: Scrooge:

I agree....I passed it along for whatever anyone might consider it's historical value.

Dan, FWIW, it took some severe honesty on your part (as pointed out by FFB and rd) to put it here in writing and I know people change and that deal happened a loooong time ago now. Still, for a simple collector, that look behind the curtain of high-rolling dealers isn't always a vista of fresh air. I don't doubt this is a cut-throat business but yeessshhh.

I have purchased from SNE probably 6 times over the last decade and a half.

Overall, I have been very happy with the grading when purchasing midgrade lots,

not so much when purchasing high grade material.

One purchase that stands out it my mind was a complete run of 80 page Giant

2-15 that was advertised in average condition VG+. I got the whole bunch for

probably an average of $10-15 apiece, and when I received them, I was shocked

at how nice they were. They were mostly at least FN, and very attractive examples.

I bought a few books advertised as NM or better that I was not so happy with. I have

never had a problem returning a book.

I think all dealers have different comfort zones in grading. Some dealers are

less conservative on the high end and I think Dan (at least the 1990's Dan) fits that

description.

I also ran into Dan several times at small shows in Albany, NY in the early 90's

and always found him to be fun to talk to. I remember him showing me a killer

run of early Strange Tales that was just ridiculously high grade.

Although i did post a somewhat negative post at the beginning of this thread regarding larger scans I just remembered about 3 or 4 years ago I purchased an FF #44 that was graded by Dan as a 9.0 and sure enough it was a fantastic copy that I easily graded a 9.0 myself. thumbsup2.gif

I have purchased from SNE probably 6 times over the last decade and a half.

Overall, I have been very happy with the grading when purchasing midgrade lots,

not so much when purchasing high grade material.

One purchase that stands out it my mind was a complete run of 80 page Giant

2-15 that was advertised in average condition VG+. I got the whole bunch for

probably an average of $10-15 apiece, and when I received them, I was shocked

at how nice they were. They were mostly at least FN, and very attractive examples.

I bought a few books advertised as NM or better that I was not so happy with. I have

never had a problem returning a book.

I think all dealers have different comfort zones in grading. Some dealers are

less conservative on the high end and I think Dan (at least the 1990's Dan) fits that

description.

I also ran into Dan several times at small shows in Albany, NY in the early 90's

and always found him to be fun to talk to. I remember him showing me a killer

run of early Strange Tales that was just ridiculously high grade.

For a lot of dealers being less conservative on the high end is very profitable business. Now I'm not saying SNE is overgrading on the high end on purpose or at all, but in a market where the difference of .2 is sometimes in the tens of thousands of dollars, being a little loose from time to time can be the difference between an outhouse and a mansion.

I give him credit to admitting something like that. It's well in the past, we are all guilty of something and Dan is clearing the air.

Obviously I am skeptical that Dan has suddenly turned over a new leaf, considering his track record. What was the impetus for this thread, this change, Dan? Did you recently have an epiphany? Did you find religion or get born-again? This almost seems like part of a 12 Step Program...

There's a big difference between regretting something you did 12 years ago and regretting something you have been continuously doing for the past 12 years.

I didn't view that as bragging so much as just being honest and upfront about what happened. confused-smiley-013.gif

That's how I interpreted it as well. And I don't see how offering the seller more than the highest offer he previously received is "playing" him. Vereneault is the one who was most affected by their actions.

I have not done any business with SNE, nor am I likely to due to my collecting habits, but I must say I'm impressed with this thread and the way Dan has responded to everything. Especially the type of questions that have resulted in many flame wars and FDQ exits in the past.

Its OK to be skeptical but

People who have smoked have also quit

People who were heavy drinkers have also been known to quit drinking

etc. etc

A good start is when someone can confess to his wrongdoings in the past and look to the future. Which is exactly the way I am reading this guy.

That's how I interpreted it as well. And I don't see how offering the seller more than the highest offer he previously received is "playing" him. Vereneault is the one who was most affected by their actions.

LBoy, yes, the seller apparently got more and you're right, he is not the one who received the greater slight. Yet, in the spirit of fairness, had the seller known the "new and sudden" bid came from the same parties as did participate in the sealed bid process then the seller would have turned back to JoeV to see if he cared to up his bid on the collection (and might have gotten yet more). Now, the seller may have but, just the same, the way the triumvirate went about being able to know what JoeV offered to just outbid him wasn't neither fair to JoeV nor ethical by any known standards.