• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase New England/Dan Greenhalgh answers questions

438 posts in this topic

RE Chrisco:

I don't have a private email from you....I have reponded to all of them....

Can you resend it....or send it to dan@showcasene.com

I was talking to Borock. I didn't send you any PM's, Dan. You're safe. flowerred.gif

I'm just sitting back and enjoying this thread. Thanks! thumbsup2.gif

Dan,

As a member of NOD I just wanted to say that your piece was well written and described many of the conflicts I find in the definitions of restoration as well.

I prefer the education aspect to make myself available to other collectors to help educate.

I will openly admit that I disagree with some of the organizations requirments but it is what it is.

I also experiment in pressing and have made great head way in developing my skills and can tell the person that has never done it but chose to denounce pressing that the procedure requires a lot less then you can imagine and it is undetectable if performed properly.. It's not rocket science.

What it has also taught me is people need to realize this.. whether you appreciate pressing because you understand it or it doesn't bother you because it makes a book pretty... or if you are a purist that denounces pressing to the fullest extent.

"You own a pressed book whether you like it or not " I know I do after experimenting and looking at my books.... I always suspected it.. but I'm 100% sure now after seeing many varied results on many varied grades.

That is my biggest pet peeve... the people that say they don't own pressed books...this is part and parcel with being in denial and not knowing what to look for.

RE: Dad & son

Thank you.

Again, I think the effort by the NOD is worthy....

I suspect we are all going to revisit this subject when Gemstone publishes the defintions they plan to use in the new guide.

That seems to be chasing our tails in this industry. IMO, putting the guidelines of the hobby into the hands of the the "big scary companies and players" that control the hobby is conforming to a set of rules that there will never be consensus on. I think the answer will be within the individual collector to make up his/her own mind once they have taken an active effort to educate themselves...and that should've happened 20 + years ago.

IMO, putting the guidelines of the hobby into the hands of the the "big scary companies and players" that control the hobby is conforming to a set of rules that there will never be consensus on. I think the answer will be within the individual collector to make up his/her own mind once they have taken an active effort to educate themselves...and that should've happened 20 + years ago.

As new collectors enter the hobby (wishful thinking?) it is up to them to educate themselves if they think they're in it for only the monetary benefits that may accrue.

20 years ago the guidelines for grading were looser than they are today. When CGC entered the arena, Overstreet was knocked off his pedestal and has never really recovered. The people at Gemstone are reactionary at best, and never have had a proactive, forward thinking group of people involved with the Price Guide or the Grading Guide IMHO.

I am of the opinion that the use of the words "minor", "moderate" and "extensive" can be used as terms that are acceptable definitions within the context of disclosing restoration. NOD requires specific disclosure about what has been done to a book. If the book is not CGC'd....the NOD requirement to disclose the specific restoration done to a book is a near impossible standard to comply with as it would require all of it's members to be experts in the detection and disclosing of restoration. ( I am assuming that I understand the guidelines correctly....but I may not be)

excuse my ignorance, but is the NOD actually requiring members to disclose any work done on a book, or merely work that they know has been done?

i am pretty sure it's the latter, as the former is - as you say - near impossible

excuse my ignorance, but is the NOD actually requiring members to disclose any work done on a book, or merely work that they know has been done?

i am pretty sure it's the latter, as the former is - as you say - near impossible

That's a good question Sal and one I'm honestly not 100% clear on either...

I am only speaking for myself here... I decided to join NOD to educate and bring about awareness but if I'm expected to detect restoration then I think Dan brought up a good point that all members are not going to pick up everything but I will be happy to inform anyone if I've done anything to a book or if I know it has been done at some point in it's provenance. I sure as hell can't detect everything on a book. I can find a lot but if I'm going to have a spot of colour touch held against me on a book that I found 90% of the restoration then I can't expect to be a member for long with those standards.

I am only speaking for myself here... I decided to join NOD to educate and bring about awareness but if I'm expected to detect restoration then I think Dan brought up a good point that all members are not going to pick up everything but I will be happy to inform anyone if I've done anything to a book or if I know it has been done at some point in it's provenance. I sure as hell can't detect everything on a book. I can find a lot but if I'm going to have a spot of colour touch held against me on a book that I found 90% of the restoration then I can't expect to be a member for long with those standards.

It's what you Know to have been done. If you don't know, then you don't know.

Fair enough John thumbsup2.gif

Now.. I have other questions but I'm not looking to derail Dan's thread... this is a good thread...

Fair enough John thumbsup2.gif

Now.. I have other questions but I'm not looking to derail Dan's thread... this is a good thread...

Yes, this is a good thread. I've enjoyed all aspects of it. thumbsup2.gif

Surprisingly, I've never done business with SNE, but if Dan moves his HG (cgc 9.8s) through other venues, this could explain why.