• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase New England/Dan Greenhalgh answers questions

438 posts in this topic

RE: Lou Fine:

My experience in the collecting community is primarily with the major superhero titles. In terms of relative scarcity, almost all of the prehero books are difficult to find, to some degree, compared to books published between 1941 and 1946/47.

It is hard to come up with a top ten list, because frankly, there were a number of books that I don't recall ever having seen, and, definitely, never possessed. To keep this balanced, however, I wasn't really looking for them either.

Within the superhero context, however, I can rely on experience to make a lot of observations about superhero books and titles.

For example, I have owned at least 10 or so Marvel Comics #1's, a half dozen or so Marvel 5's and at least 2 to 3 of all the issues between 1 and 10 except for #9....which I have never owned. Consequently....I think the 9 is the tough book in this run....and Marvel Comics 1 is the most common. (Note...cgc census report does not show the 9 as any less scarce than the others...but that was my experience).

The only tough Captain Americas, in my opinion, are some of the issues between 65 (or so) and 73. 74 is not all that difficult...yet it is still listed as scarce in the guide.

Anyone, in my opinion, assuming capital is not a factor.....can put an early numbered set of all the major Timely runs (with a hole here and there) together in a very short period of time....which would by definition define these books as not particularly difficult to obtain.

I could turn this into a post....so I'll just add a few general, broad observations.

The most difficult Timelys to obtain....in any grade...seem to me to be from the titles that were still being published from mid 1947 through 1949.

Some individual issues published by Timely from the early 40's are also somewhat difficult....especially from the non major titles.

DC's superhero pre1940 are all somewhat difficult...but from 1941 through 1945 most of them are surprisingly common. DC superheroes from late 1951 through 1956 are also surprisingly difficult...especially in high grades. Most collectors whom are completetists will have to settle for reading copies of many of these issues if they want to complete their sets.

Additionally, I think a lot of books published from 1950 through 1955 are difficult to get, and almost impossible in high grades except for the EC's, which were widely collected and consequently, survived.

Finally, I don't think any issue, of any major superhero book published after 1960 is difficult to obtain...regardless of what it is. Some may be tough in ultra high grades....but they are all common without exception.

Anecdote: From 1993 through 1995 (and maybe earlier) Timelys were really out of demand. Almost hard to believe....but dealers and collectors would practically give these books away. I remember going to the major shows and being able to buy dozens of these books, from some dealers as much as 50% off, if I would take them all. At auctions I was astounded at the prices keys and early numbered books would fetch (almost nothing by todays standards)

In retrospect....I wish I kept them all.

Quote:

"It should be understood the time of the Diamond Galleries grand opening was in early 1995 when the GA market was just absolutely smoking red hot."

Lou_Fine

I actually think the opening of Diamond Galleries, and the unveiling and sale of the Overstreet collection...was the catalyst that set the market on fire. That fire burned strong for a good 4, or 5 years and is still burning, with the help of CGC, to some extent.

RE: Comicdonna

My ads are a little outdated......but you are correct......

The ads say by appointment only, this is no longer, for the most part, true.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Maybe when you get to know us board members, that will change. grin.gif

RE Ron_Nasty.

I have not practiced in public accounting since 1991....so, I am not a C.P.A.

Showcase New England files as a "C" corp and is incorporated in the State of Connecticut.

I think anyone who sells a lot of books and has annual sales of more than 300K

should consider filing as a "C" or "S" corp.

I know it is much easier to report your sales and income on your personal tax return in the form of a schedule "C"....but as your sales numbers grow higher (I have been informed that the threshold is 300K...but this probably varies from accountant to accountant)..... schedule "C"'s have a much greater probability of being audited by the IRS than does a "C" or "S" corp.

Additionally, despite have an accounting and tax background, I do not prepare my own returns....rather, I have a C.P.A. do them.

And who needs that headache????

RE Ron_Nasty.

I have not practiced in public accounting since 1991....so, I am not a C.P.A.

Showcase New England files as a "C" corp and is incorporated in the State of Connecticut.

I think anyone who sells a lot of books and has annual sales of more than 300K

should consider filing as a "C" corp.

I know it is much easier to report your sales and income on your personal tax return in the form of a schedule "C"....but as your sales numbers grow higher (I have been informed that the threshold is 300K...but this probably varies from accountant to accountant)..... schedule "C"'s have a much greater probability of being audited by the IRS than does a "C" or "S" corp.

Additionally, despite have an accounting and tax background, I do not prepare my own returns....rather, I have a C.P.A. do them.

And who needs that headache????

not only that.. but creditors can't take your personal belongings... tongue.gif at least that's part of the safe guard of incorporating in Canada. confused-smiley-013.gif

Quote:

"It should be understood the time of the Diamond Galleries grand opening was in early 1995 when the GA market was just absolutely smoking red hot."

Lou_Fine

I actually think the opening of Diamond Galleries, and the unveiling and sale of the Overstreet collection...was the catalyst that set the market on fire. That fire burned strong for a good 4, or 5 years and is still burning, with the help of CGC, to some extent.

Hi Dan;

It's always nice to see somebody else's perception of the marketplace, especially from the other side of the table. thumbsup2.gif

My personal opinion is that the GA fire was like an expolsion that occured after the plunge in the new book market. I didn't really feel that the GA fire lasted that long and had already started to fizzled a bit by the time Bill P. had found the More Fun collection.

I feel the impact of CGC has really been more towards the high-end SA and uber HG BA markets with a much more tepid impact on the GA, market except for a brief flurry at the beginning. In fact, I feel that the GA market has fallen behind both the SA and BA relatively speaking, when it comes to CGC. I must admit, though, a definite shift seems to have started swinging back towards the GA market again during the past year or so. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What do you think the impact of the coming Pedigree book will have on the marketplace, if any? Will it help to redirect focus back onto the pedigrees as opposed to the CGC labels, similar to how Gerber's Photojournals helped to point the collectors to all of the more classic covers?

One of the key figures behind this book seems to feel that this Pedigree book could defintely help to reenergize the GA market relative to its quiet pace during the past few years. As for me, I an wondering if this is going to water down the Pedigree concept a bit as I can't even think of anywhere close to 50 GA pedigrees, especially when CGC initially started with recognizing only 10 pedigree in total. Nevertheless, I still can't wait for this book to come out and am looking forward to it with great anticipation. cloud9.gif

Just a very interesting place to be right now with so much happening in the comics related field! thumbsup2.gif

ciorac:

You can play. To be fair you need to identify yourself...you can email me at dan@showcasene.com if you would like to keep this private.

Just the same....

1) My recollection was that this was a good 12 to 13 years ago and involved another dealer/collector in New Orleans.

I don't know recall about the restoration part as I have many Cap 1's over the years....but this could be true.....This event occurred in my earlier years when I was still really a novice dealer, and I may not have been able to detect the restoration at that time. My version is that this collector had committed to purchase the book....was not able (perhaps unwilling if your version is correct) to finalize the transaction, and accepted the AA16 in lieu of a refund. It is also possible that I forced him to accept merchandise instead of a cash refund since he could not complete the transaction.

Later in the show, the book was sold to another dealer for a loss.

For what it is worth, our current policy is that we offer full cash refunds for any purchase....regardless of whatever the individuals circumstances are. occasionally...we have had collectors send books back even though they may have had them for months because of a change in their financial circumstances...and we still provided full refunds.

2) This deal involved the same collector/dealer. This is simply not true. The dealer/collector in question asked specifically to have merchandise in lieu of the remaining balance. This dealer had partners in his deal....I know for a fact that the partners were misled by this dealer/collector. Also, another dealer was involved in this transaction....The dealer/collector in question accepted books from him as well.

Further, you might be confusing this situation a little with something that happened the following summer.

The dealer/collector in question agreed to sell me an Action 1 for either 45K or 55K (can't remember exactly) in San Diego that summer...I wrote him a check that I put a stop payment on until I received the book. The dealer/collector in question knew this at the time and agreed to it. The dealer/collector involved decided at the end of the show not to do the deal. I agreed to undo the deal and accept my check back. I later learned the book had been collateralized, was being held by someone else, and that the dealer/collector was not in a position to honor the sale.

3) My basketball days are behind me....my Grandmother could beat me today.

Finally, as dealers and collectors we all mature as we get older. There are some things I did 12/15 years ago that I would not do today.

For example....My grading in the early to mid 1990's was just awful. I look at some of the books I graded back them and I cringe (it is probably what everyone remembers most). We all get better and smarter (hopefully) as we get older. Today my grading standards are very similar to CGCs....everyone has had to tighten up in the past few years.

I guess your memory is a little fuzzy after all these years.

But when you say "Finally, as dealers and collectors we all mature as we get older. There are some things I did 12/15 years ago that I would not do today. "

THAT I can agree with you 100% on. Many of us were footloose and fancy free in those days and made many a mistake. Spent too much, committed too much. overpaid, etc. But intentional misleading is a whole other matter.

Regarding #2, it had nothing to do with the Action #1. I refused to sell you that book. You made an extremely generous offer for the book, but I had already promised it to a local collector. I believe you would have made good on that check because you wanted that book badly. I was never more shocked than when you showed up at the store unannounced all the way from CT to buy it! Poor Nick Kronfeld (may he rest in peace) trusted that you wouldn't go behind his back, but you did. #2 had everything to do with the check you wouldn't honor on the More Fun Collection books you bought. The collector you used as a shill lived in San Francisco and I think you know who I am referring to. You said you didn't have the money and would have to trade out of the balance, why would we want trade in lieu of cash?

At any rate, if you truly have changed your policies and have matured then I am glad. I always tried to be your friend, but you made it really hard.

Ummmm yeah. About those Action's 2-12....Nick (rest in peace) had a partner on that "deal"....moi. Losing out on that deal to Danny Boy still stings.....

Great job Bill. And Dan, as Bill said; if you truly have changed and matured, then that's terrific. For what's it's worth, I have bought quite a few books from Dan back in the "day", and can honestly say we never had any problems. Heck, I even split some deals with Dan at Chicago one year (Loony Tunes 1 comes to mind). Dan also cut me a sweet deal on an Action 3 in San Diego back in '97. We have not spoken for years, due to a misunderstanding about a Batman #1 with no back cover.

Hey, we do have to give Dan credit though for taking everyone on here on the boards..... thumbsup2.gif

In your full page 2005 OS ads. it states: BOOKS SHOWN BY APPOINTMENT ONLY

Lots of OPG advertisers let their ads ride year after year. I know it's a temptation for us every fall to save time and effort by not designing new ones. Did Marty Hay have the same ad for twenty years or am I imagining it? smile.gif

Quote:

Lou_Fine

Hi Dan;

It's always nice to see somebody else's perception of the marketplace, especially from the other side of the table. thumbsup2.gif

My personal opinion is that the GA fire was like an expolsion that occured after the plunge in the new book market. I didn't really feel that the GA fire lasted that long and had already started to fizzled a bit by the time Bill P. had found the More Fun collection.

I feel the impact of CGC has really been more towards the high-end SA and uber HG BA markets with a much more tepid impact on the GA, market except for a brief flurry at the beginning. In fact, I feel that the GA market has fallen behind both the SA and BA relatively speaking, when it comes to CGC. I must admit, though, a definite shift seems to have started swinging back towards the GA market again during the past year or so. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What do you think the impact of the coming Pedigree book will have on the marketplace, if any? Will it help to redirect focus back onto the pedigrees as opposed to the CGC labels, similar to how Gerber's Photojournals helped to point the collectors to all of the more classic covers?

One of the key figures behind this book seems to feel that this Pedigree book could defintely help to reenergize the GA market relative to its quiet pace during the past few years. As for me, I an wondering if this is going to water down the Pedigree concept a bit as I can't even think of anywhere close to 50 GA pedigrees, especially when CGC initially started with recognizing only 10 pedigree in total. Nevertheless, I still can't wait for this book to come out and am looking forward to it with great anticipation. cloud9.gif

Just a very interesting place to be right now with so much happening in the comics related field! thumbsup2.gif

I agree with many of the things you mention above, but some are too general. I don't think golden age has ever truly "fizzled". If you have the right material it will always sell, and sell well. Multiples of guide was a phenomena that was launched by golden age. Silver caught on much later as it relates to multiples.

Silver sells incredibly well at the top of the grading scale. Comic shops are full of VG or less Marvels that they will never sell for anything close to guide.

I agree that GA has gotten stronger over the past year, some of that has been aided by the cool material that has hit the "streets", these boards help as well.

Regarding the More Fun Collection. Any perception that it was bought when GA was down, is not entirely correct. Too much money was paid for the collection, for any era. But the books still sold very well. And for multiples. We did over $150K in sales at Wonder Con in 1995. That was one incredible weekend! 90% were More Fun Collection books. But, I will grant that if we had paid a ton less and bought it a year earlier things would have been much rosier to be sure.

I too am curious to see what happens when the Pedigree books comes out. Should be fun! You are right, it is a fun and interesting time in comics right now!

ciorac:

I always tried to be your friend, but you made it really hard.

Yep,

this pretty much sums up my dealings with Dan over the years also.

I still have at least one of his famous "stop payment" checks buried somewhere...

But like Bill, I'm glad to see you've changed a lot over the years also.

Silver sells incredibly well at the top of the grading scale. Comic shops are full of VG or less Marvels that they will never sell for anything close to guide.

I agree that GA has gotten stronger over the past year, some of that has been aided by the cool material that has hit the "streets", these boards help as well.

Regarding the More Fun Collection. Any perception that it was bought when GA was down, is not entirely correct.

I too am curious to see what happens when the Pedigree books comes out. Should be fun! You are right, it is a fun and interesting time in comics right now!

Bill;

Defintely agree with your points above.

I have always viewed GA as being a healthier market as its much more of a collector based market. It is clearly evident that the strength in the GA prices tends to spread across the all condition ranges. The SA and even more so with the BA, appears to be much more of a CGC label oriented market where the strength in the prices does not tend to carry below the HG condition books.

Many examples of VG or even raw GA books selling for multiples of guide throughout the past year. Definitely something that you would not see with the SA and BA books where the strength seems to be very narrow, but very high profile. I guess it all has to do with supply and demand.

I did not mean to imply that the More Fun Collection was released at a time when the GA market was down. What I meant was that this was a time when the GA market had started to turn and was definitely not as hot as it had been six months ago. Kudos to you since I was able to pick up a gorgeous copy of Rangers #39 from this collection, if I remember properly. Should have picked up more looking back at the situation now.

Yes, the Pedigree book should definitely be fun considering that it might even possibly include a couple of brand new pedigrees in there.

RE: Crowzilla

I doubt very much you can come up with one....the reason.....I issued very few replacement checks in the last 15 years.....I think I could count on one hand the times that this had to be done....and in all cases there were legitimate reasons to do so (lost checks or fraud)....so I know for a fact they aren''t floating around out there.

But that is part of what this thread is all about.....

So....go get it, and post it now that you have some attention.

But my guess is that because you and I both know this is very likely the kind of goofy fabrication that can be easily dispeled, that you will be unable to produce it......

Just the same...here's your chance.....

You implied that there are others out there in your post......I am willing to offer anyone $1000 to produce one that can't be explained as being replaced by a lost check (excluding jmg3637 because that was a transaction that went bad for both of us on many levels)....that is how sure I am that these type of allegations are fabrications.

You absolutely did not replace this one, as it wasn't lost.

You stopped payment on it as to a disagreement we had over dealings.

And if you have your old records you can look it up.

Check #3543 $850.00 - though I warn you this is from 1995.

But as I said, I'm glad to hear you've come around a lot over the years, I know I have also and in fact spent a couple of hours up at Steve's office a few months ago talking about old times.

At this point it's pretty moot, and not worth rehashing everything (which is why I didn't) but it does exist.

Sean Linkenback

You absolutely did not replace this one, as it wasn't lost.

You stopped payment on it as to a disagreement we had over dealings.

And if you have your old records you can look it up.

Check #3543 $850.00 - though I warn you this is from 1995.

But as I said, I'm glad to hear you've come around a lot over the years, I know I have also and in fact spent a couple of hours up at Steve's office a few months ago talking about old times.

At this point it's pretty moot, and not worth rehashing everything (which is why I didn't) but it does exist.

Sean Linkenback

Dan,

I must admit, there are some "things" like this that have come up in this thread that would make me "procced with great caution" before starting to buy from you.....I understand that you have been around a LONG time, and as a high volume dealer, it is statistically impossible to keep thousands of people happy on thousands of transactions. I also think it takes a lot of guts to have all of these CGC Boards members throwing negative stuff at you, and you address each and everyone without ducking the issue at hand...for that, I applaud you.

With that said, Sean is one of the most credible and knowledgable peolpe here on the Boards, and in the 'real world' of comics as well...when he says something, it is generally taken as fact, which appears to be the case here ( note I said appears..only the two of you know what really happened ).

I guess it would be helpful for myself and others here to know what your ongoing philosophy is as a dealer, and how you would summarize your attitude towards the hobby and collectors in 2007/present day.........seems like there was a lot of *spoon* and vinegar" running thru your viens in the past.....would you say you have "lightened up"?

Please take this post as written with the intent of respect...not with accusations...as I said before, I have never dealt with you, so I only have a feel for you and your integrity from this thread.

Steve

Regarding the More Fun Collection. Any perception that it was bought when GA was down, is not entirely correct.

I did not mean to imply that the More Fun Collection was released at a time when the GA market was down. What I meant was that this was a time when the GA market had started to turn and was definitely not as hot as it had been six months ago. Kudos to you since I was able to pick up a gorgeous copy of Rangers #39 from this collection, if I remember properly. Should have picked up more looking back at the situation now.

I should have kept more!!! I just reacquired a Rangers #30 from the collection and I am glad to have it back. Nelson Dodds and Jerry Buss bought an enormous amount of Fiction House from me. I wonder if they still have it all?

You are right, GA had started to turn around that time. The deal took too long to unfold and it cost us some serious money. But, I tell you, seeing all those books in one place at one time was amazing. cloud9.gif

RE: aman619

Jgreen was and is for real. I actually met him... a very nice, well intentioned collector who, as many know, was taken advantage of by several ill-willed collectors who tried to bid him up.

He never complained about what happened, and he was willing to pony up and pay the final winning bid prices, which as you know, were insane in some cases.

In the end though....Jgreen got the last laugh as he got all of those exceptionally high grade books for about 1/3 of his final bid price.

In the spirit of fair play....I took over 60% off of his final winning prices, gave him for free all of the lots won by other shill bidders (and weren't paid for), and gave him the remainder of the collection that we did not post for free.

These books were part of a collection, that in hindsight, both Steve Borock and I thought should be pedigreed, as they were that high grade.... the collection was complete with every Marvel and DC ever published, in entirety, from 1960 through the year 2004.

All and all...he made out like a bandit...but I was glad to do it because, as I said,

he was a well intentioned collector....and if ever anyone I have dealt with needed a break because of what I considered to be outright maliciousness....he did.

I sold Jgreen a Savage Sword 1 9.8 and helped him buy another one privately. He is really a supernice guy. And I am very happy to see that he was, taken care of by SNE in such a respectful manner. This really shows a lot of class thumbsup2.gif

RE: Crowzilla

RE: Showcase-4

Hi Sean....we did have some stormy exchanges.....back then.

In Sean's defense.....In this case he may very well be right.

At the time I considered Steven Fishler to be kind of a "partner"...for lack of a better term. At that time Steve knew about money that I owed Sean....and I think it may have extended beyond the $850 (can't remember the exact details though).

This falls into the category of something I would not do with anyone today (this was at least 12 years ago)....but something I did back then.

Steven asked me to pay him that to which was rightfully owed to Sean because Steven didn't think that Sean would pay him.

Frankly, I didn't know what Sean owed Steve....but I did take Steve's word for it...

And I played judge and jury..and well.... I did give to Steve what I owed Sean.....so Sean's recollection is correct.

At this point in my career....I wouldn't touch this kind of a situation with a mile long pole.

Additionally....Sean and I did other deals that were completed as promised.

And additionally, Keith Contarino.....who is a frequent participant in these chat rooms...is friends with both Sean and myself...and knows about a lot of this stuff first hand.....Keith is known to be brutally truthful...

So if Keith has a comment or two????

I am not familiar with the phrase "spoon and vinegar"....but I have addressed the subject of character and mellowing out in some of my previous posts.

Most of my business is done on Ebay now.....and has been for some years.....where everything I do is transparent and reported on by third parties. The 30,000 plus feedbacks since 1999 speak for itself......No where will you find issues dealing with trust and financial reponsibilities.

Finally...I have said this before....the purpose of my coming on these boards is not to encourage people to become our customers....but rather to confront and dispel some of the misinformation that has been floating around in these posts, and to answer questions about myself, my company and my history.

Dan,

You might want to fix the link to ebay....

From this crop of your site screen ....

SNEsite.jpg

the right hand link "showcase-new-england" takes me to

this cropped screen

SNEerror.jpg