• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase New England/Dan Greenhalgh answers questions

438 posts in this topic

Only annoyance I had about Showcase was that I lived about 20 minutes from their location and they weren't at all cool with pickups. :( $10-$15 to deliver a package that's less than one hour round trip just doesn't work well for me.

Otherwise he had some nicely priced stuff on eBay.

Oh well.

I've been buying off Dan since 1991 (I believe).

I have mostly been happy with his books, and the service has been mostly great. There was one occasion where things turned ugly fast. It involved many key GA books and many thousands of dollars. I received all of the books and found all of them had been restored which was not disclosed. I live in Canada so the books had taken a long time to make their way back to Dan. He became upset very quickly, as he had relisted them (along with others from other buyers for the same reason) when I said I was returning them, and accused me of trying to rebid on them at lower prices and keeping them as leverage. Before the auctions ended he received them back finally and refunded my money. Everything turned out okay. Dan...what I'm trying to say is just try not to fly off the handle so quickly.

To address the issue of a big company not spending enough time grading.

Welcome to the 2000's everyone where profit is the key. Even with a bigger company like Heritage I find about 15% of their stuff overgraded. Fortunately Ed comes through and makes things right (just takes him awhile).

On the same note in a different light I have received from Dan a VF book that was graded as a VG before too.

So sometimes it can go both ways.

Dang.

Just read the through the last 5 pages.

Glad to see Dan stand up to our buddy Rocky.

I started buying from Showcase New England at Philadelphia-area conventions in the early '90s, and always had a great experience with him.

Also proud to say the first-ever Golden Age book I bought was a mid-grade Ghost Rider # 1 off of eBay back in 2001, when ShowcaseNE put about 30 copies up for sale at once. It eventually graded out at CGC 5.5, which was dead-on.

Would buy from Dan again with zero hesitation.

Dan:

Remember the Good Morning America Collection? Here's a photo to jog your memory...

GaryandGMACollection.jpg

Yep, there are 2 AF 15's, FF 1-5, Spidey 1-5, DD 1, JIM 83, etc. all beauties as you can see!

I had just purchased these books from an OO in the Chicago area and at the time was the CEO of Classics International Entertainment. This photo was taken in my office just before the GMA TV cameras arrived. It was 1995 and the company was very cash poor and Dan bought this collection at a time when we really needed the dough...

Yes, that's the original Mars Attacks Betty painting in the background...

gary/dan

what did these books grade out @?

AMAZING FIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even with a bigger company like Heritage I find about 15% of their stuff overgraded. Fortunately Ed comes through and makes things right (just takes him awhile).

On the same note in a different light I have received from Dan a VF book that was graded as a VG before too.

I've had both experiences with Heritage, but usually the grading is fine. Shipping two ways across the Pacific makes it not worth the hassle of returning stuff for the most part, and overall I think I'm ahead. I certainly will keep buying from them.

Even with a bigger company like Heritage I find about 15% of their stuff overgraded. Fortunately Ed comes through and makes things right (just takes him awhile).

I've had both experiences with Heritage, but usually the grading is fine. Shipping two ways across the Pacific makes it not worth the hassle of returning stuff for the most part, and overall I think I'm ahead. I certainly will keep buying from them.

I would say the raws on Heritage are about the only bargains you'll find in their auctions. And even then there aren't many books that go for less than FMV for the stated grade.

Dan:

Remember the Good Morning America Collection? Here's a photo to jog your memory...

GaryandGMACollection.jpg

Yep, there are 2 AF 15's, FF 1-5, Spidey 1-5, DD 1, JIM 83, etc. all beauties as you can see!

I had just purchased these books from an OO in the Chicago area and at the time was the CEO of Classics International Entertainment. This photo was taken in my office just before the GMA TV cameras arrived. It was 1995 and the company was very cash poor and Dan bought this collection at a time when we really needed the dough...

Yes, that's the original Mars Attacks Betty painting in the background...

gary/dan

what did these books grade out @?

AMAZING FIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was pre-CGC. 1995. Many VFs and NMs...

Gary

can you please tell us more about how you found these beautiful books?

was it a complete marvel collection?

what did the two AF 15s grade?

At this time I had just sold Moondog's to Classics International and I was running the largest comics retail enterprise in the country - 21 stores in 5 states.

Moondog's was the Chicago's largest chain and everyone knew about me, so I would get many calls each day to buy collections. This fellow in Waukegan, IL called me and I went to view them. They were VF/NM structurally but the pages were a bit too brownish even at that date. I instructed my press agent to contact the local media and the story went national. It was pretty cool.

The AFs were each in the F/VF range.