• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase New England/Dan Greenhalgh answers questions

438 posts in this topic

RE: Evilsy

Don't know where to begin...there have been so many.

The one that I think about most is The FF #1 I sold to Doug Schmell as a 9.4 (CGC GRADE 9.6).

That book was originally offered to Tom Brulato for around 27K (can't remember exactly) or so. Tom turned it down because he thought his copy was better.

Doug was actually in my office when the book first arrived (but I had already offered it to Tom)....and had agreed to purchase it If Tom passed on it.

This copy off FF#1 is blazing white...and has a perfectly centered cover and staple placement...and has no visible flaws whatsoever on the cover. In my opinion....it is one of the top three silver age books in existence.

The list of books that fall into the category you have asked about is truly endless....I wish I had them all back.

The biggest mistake I have made since I have been in business is not pedigreeing and certifying the Golden State Collection.

In my opinion, this is the most comprehensive, high grade silver-age collection ever to have surfaced in the history of comics that I am aware of...and I have seen them all. Other collections have had higher grade runs on balance...but none were as complete as this collection (as far as I know) The Golden State collection was complete and had pretty much everything ever published by Marvel.

In fact...the original owner, whom I have not spoken to in years.....still has the remaining books published after 1978 or so.....

Like many comics I have had....sometimes I didn't know just how nice something really was until lots of time had passed.

RE: gman.....

I stopped allowing customers to preview books after one bidder, several years ago, looked at the books in the auctions that were up at the time.....and then maliciously tried to affect the auctions with comments to other potential bidders.

I would consider changing that policy now that the information about bidders is confidential.

thanks for the reply...i should have been more clear...what about collectors coming to view books at your location (not involving ebay or auctions at all)....just to schedule an appointment to view books?

RE: R100comics

Thanks for the question....

Thanks for the question....

I just answered your question in the previous post. The Golden State collection should have been pedigreed.....

Part of the problem was that at the time I had 4 or 5 buyers that were in my office while we were cataloging the collection...and they pretty much had no intention of leaving without many of the books in hand. Any plans that I may have had for certifying the collection at the time were made obsolete by selling so many of the books so quickly.

What is not known about the Golden State collection is that the the collection included all Golden Age keys, as well as multiples of many Golden Age keys.... 2/3 Batman 1's, Superman 1's and Cap 1's as well as Detective 27 and Action comics 1. Runs of early Actions, Superman's, Batmans and Detectives were in the collection as well.

As I stated in the earlier post....The Golden state collection was a virtually complete marvel collection....from 1961 through 1997 (and maybe beyond).

I acquired the books that were pre 1978 or so.

RE; Moondog

Gary!!!!!

It has been a long time......There must be some collection you know about in Chicago that I would be interested in.

I am going to need an armed guard to protect me on this thread at some point...are you interested in the job?????

I'm your guy! They don't call me the Chicago enforcer for nothing!

And regarding local collections...you never know what's going to pop up here! 27_laughing.gif

Hi Dan, Welcome !!! I had just a comment and quick question...

The one that I think about most is The FF #1 I sold to Doug Schmell as a 9.4 (CGC GRADE 9.6).

Doug was actually in my office when the book first arrived (but I had already offered it to Tom)....and had agreed to purchase it If Tom passed on it.

This copy off FF#1 is blazing white...and has a perfectly centered cover and staple placement

I had the pleasure of seeing this book in person in January at Doug's place... words don't describe how pretty it is!!! thumbsup2.gif

My question... Is it a slow day at the office for you Dan?? confused-smiley-013.giftongue.gif Thanks for coming around.

RE; Dad & son:

Your comment has me chuckling...

I have been meaning to do this for a while. It is time to clear the air...let everyone know that I am assesible, and share what little I know about comics and my history, for whatever it is worth, to those interested hobbyists.

Hi Dan- i bought from you once and was pleased with the grading, service, and price for the books! It was a good deal! The one bit of advice i would give is just include a very large detailed scan in your auctions for valuable books that will fetch in the 100's ++ range! Most of your books i will not purchase because i cannot see much in the scan! Regardless of return policy and strict grading i believe many of us high $$$(not necesssarily high grade) collectors are just too picky about certain defects and appearance of their books to just buy without looking-we don't want to return books-remember thats a hassle for us too! I can't stress enough that I feel this way almost as much about a 6.0 FF#5 as a 9.0 FF#48! The larger scans(back cover as well) should fetch better prices!

Dave Johnson

RE: Mar-vell

Thanks you for your positive comments.

The scans have always been kind of a problem for us.....but I think you, as well as a couple of other posters may be right......it is time to make our scans bigger...and to scan the back covers of the more valuable books.

Thanks

This copy off FF#1 is blazing white...and has a perfectly centered cover and staple placement...and has no visible flaws whatsoever on the cover. In my opinion....it is one of the top three silver age books in existence.

You might well be right, along with the Showcase #4 and AF #15 CGC 9.6's.

I just checked the census, out of interest, and was amazed to see that out of 590 copies submitted to CGC there are only 8 copies above 8.5 ! 893whatthe.gif

It's even tougher than Hulk #1, and I never thought that was the case. Doug's 9.6 is truly something special.

Welcome to the boards Dan.

I give you credit for doing this and wish more sellers would have the courage

to answer a few questions from collectors. thumbsup2.gif

I've only won four of your auctions in a few years and was extremely pleased

with all four purchases and I live in Canada and would be willing to pay other e-bay sellers more for shipping if they graded accurately and had good customer service like your company.

Keep up the good work!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Fay

Hi Dan,

welcome to the Boards ( and be prepared for some unwelcome and unwarranted comments too......members will say things thru these Boards they would never say to your face )

I have heard your name about 10,000 times, and seen your many full page color ads in Overstreet. Since I have never delt with you before, could you share a summary of your business focus....GA / SA / Pedigrees / raw / graded / high grade / low grade / unrestored / niches/ mail order / store locations ...etc etc.

Thanks,

Steve