• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High Grade Alan Moore Swamp Things

20 posts in this topic

I've been trying to get the early issues of Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing (20-29 or so, plus 37) in high grade and have been having a heck of a time finding them. It seems as if there aren't that many slabbed, perhaps because they are still pretty low valued. Is my best bet to go to cons and ebay looking for unslabbed books and slab them myself?

I bought them when they first came out and read them to death, so I already have the reader copy smirk.gif

I've also been thinking to getting slabbed Watchmen's too. I think those might be a bit easier to locate.

Just keep looking. I've seen #37 pop up on eBay every so often, but I was able to find a nice one at a shop in my area. Harder to find at local cons, as most dealers bring "bigger" books to shows.

Put something in your Signature Line like "WTB: Alan Moore Swamp Things".

People on the forum may have them, but may not read this thread. I recently bought some nice Saga of Swamp Thing's from Banner, but he said he doesn't have the coveted Moore issues.

Also, check w/ some of the big dealers. These books aren't really expensive, so they might not make it into an ad. They're out there. You just gotta look hard. I know what you're going through. I'm still looking for #20 and 21 in NM.

Good Luck!

Chris

I've been working on this for several months now. I've managed to pick up very nice raw copies of 20-25, 9.0 -9.2. The first Constantine ha been a real trick to find in decent shape. I am hoping to find it along with the Batman appearance at Tysons this weekend.

Put something in your Signature Line like "WTB: Alan Moore Swamp Things".

Chris is right, do not discount the power of the sig line. Check out the sig line I have been carrying for a month now. I have received one book from this already and am anticipating the receipt of another one this weekend.

All because I used my sig line for the powers of good and not evil. ::Insert evil laugh here::

893applaud-thumb.gif

grin.gif

Okay, you've talked me into it. smile.gif

I've had the same trouble with #37, I have a Fine copy, but getting the high grade has been really hard. Flying Donut had one on ebay a few weeks ago but I was outbid 893frustrated.gif

I don't really want to go TOO high for them, because they should be out there, but dang they are hidding from me. I dropped out of the 9.6 #21 at about 70 bucks, which was 20 more than I was willing to spend smirk.gif

And I have never seen a 20 in decent shape. I haven't even read that one as it hasn't been collected in any of the books.

I am hoping to find it along with the Batman appearance at Tysons this weekend.

I've never been able to find these books at Tysons. frown.gif

One shot you might have would be to call Mark Nathan (Donut's buddy, and the guy that runs the show). His shop, "Cards, Comics, & Collectibles" is where I found my #37 (I'd say 9.2-9.4). This was a few months ago, and he had a few. I plucked the nicest one at the time.

I'd call him and ask him to bring it w/ him. He usually only brings SA Marvels and DC's to Tysons Show. Sorry, don't have # on me, but it's in OSPG.

See you at Tyson's.

Chris

RJ had some #37s in 9.8 at assrape prices a while back so there are a couple floating around... I really regret not buying the 21 9.8 that was on eBay awhile back but I was stretched thin with other purchases! frown.gif

Well, I am willing to go 70 bucks for a 21 in 9.6, and 30 for a raw MT 37. I don't think that is bottom feeding but I guess that wouldn't be top dollar either. I'm not going to break the bank to get 9.8's, but I would like nice MT copies.

I've been trying to get the early issues of Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing (20-29 or so, plus 37) in high grade and have been having a heck of a time finding them. It seems as if there aren't that many slabbed, perhaps because they are still pretty low valued. Is my best bet to go to cons and ebay looking for unslabbed books and slab them myself?

Think about what you'd pay for some nice raw copies. Friday afternoon I'll scan some of my Moore ST issues in the #20-29 and #37 range. If you like what you see then I'm open to offers. I have #20, 21, 23 and a couple of the others including #37. gossip.gif

I've been working on this for several months now. I've managed to pick up very nice raw copies of 20-25, 9.0 -9.2. The first Constantine ha been a real trick to find in decent shape. I am hoping to find it along with the Batman appearance at Tysons this weekend.

Hmmm, I think I have the Batman appearance issue too! smile.gif

I'll scan a whole bunch of STs Friday and maybe you'll see something you like!

I just sold a very high grade 37 for $32. The train has already left the station.

Yeah I know... 893frustrated.gif

I got busy that night and never got back to the computer. Still bummed...

Nice Miracleman #23 btw Donut, I finally got to complete that title acclaim.gif

Think about what you'd pay for some nice raw copies. Friday afternoon I'll scan some of my Moore ST issues in the #20-29 and #37 range. If you like what you see then I'm open to offers. I have #20, 21, 23 and a couple of the others including #37. gossip.gif

Sounds great. Let me know when you have the scans.

Follow the link to the thumbnails and click them to see the larger images.

The images are named "something-f1" and "something-b1" to represent the Front and Back cover of a particular comic. If I scanned more than one issue of a comic, you'll find the additional front/back cover pairs with increasing numbers such as f2/b2 and f3/b3 etc.

Most of these are my copies I've owned since they were published back in '84 and up. The Batman issues were bought after publication because I thought that for being a Batman crossover plus being a giant-sized issue these issues were waaay cheap. The original owner copies average very nice condition and white pages, maybe off white. Looks white to me though.

Of the early Moore issues, my ST #20s look to be about 9.4 or so for the first four copies. Probably only about 9.0 on the 5th copy. My ST #21s suffer from some sort of weird stress at the upper staple, so the CGC 9.4 I saw someone offer is probably nicer than mine. The #23-29 are a mixed bag. One of the #28s has a lot of major spine stress. Another in that range has a 1" bend/fold through the whole issue at the top right corner. The others in that range are decent. The other #28 looks nearly perfect.

Many of the issues in the #30s are SWEET. No one asked about them, but since I was going to scan them sooner or later anyway I went ahead and did them. Some of them look PERFECT. I might consider picking one of them CGC candidates for my first submission. Maybe the #33.

Oh yes, the #37 is way up there in condition, easy 9.4+ range except for - one spine bend near the green leaf, plus some printers flaw near the ethereal Swampy's right hand. Invisible in the scan I'd say. It's not a printer's crease, but there's something there that mars the finish.

Zap me a PM with any offers or issues you are interested in and we can talk grade vs price. The more you want, the more leverage you'll have to get your price outta me! smile.gif

Enter the Swamp Thing!